Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Talentless Hack

What PF30 set up are people using

I recently got a new Ciclon frame. I am using XTR for the build and am in need of advice on how people have run 24 mm cranks on PF30 frames. I have looked at adapters for PF30 bottom brackets or press in a adapter and run outboard bearings.
    Thanks,
    JC
    Sierra Club Sucks

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The Praxis Works conversion BB is great if you can find one-
    Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    The Praxis Works conversion BB is great if you can find one-
    Praxis Works | Conversion Kit
    +1. I have one for my upcoming Spearfish build. My initial impression is good.

Ballstein Models
    I have installed the SRAM PF30-BSA press in adapter with a Chris King MTB bottom bracket. Works very well once you realize the installation instructions from can lead to ruining an adapter. Best advice is press in, then thread in, rather than the instructed reverse.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

Talentless Hack
    Thanks for the input. The Praxis Works looks like the way to go.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Kind of off the reservation, but I ran a Beer Components eccentric on my trail bike to fuss with the geometry.
    Eccentric for Press Fit 30 Frames Pewter BEER Components

Very excellent quality and excellent support from Jim, highly recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    21012 El Rey...I put a FSA BB30 bottom bracket on with Sram X9 BB30 cranks. I've got 1200 miles on the mtn bike this year since March 15th and the bottom bracket bearings are already wearing out. I've not replaced them yet but with BB30 crank my options are limited. I guess I'll try the Sram BB30 bottom bracket next. Unless anyone has other advice.

mtbr member
    Endura makes a killer one and it also comes in ceramic.

mtbr member

Praxis PF/BB30 Conversion BB

Hey guys..
    Thanks for the emails you've sent. Glad our Conversion BB is working out for you.
    We just wanted a really rock solid BB for Shimano Cranks that wasn't just a reducer band-aide like many out there, but rather a solid BB.

If any more questions don't hesitate to email us!

Adam@Praxis
    Praxis Works
    Manufacturer
    Santa Cruz County, CA

mtbr member
    It looks like Chris King will be releasing a PF30 BB. I'm still not convinced pressing in the BB cups is the best solution for the end user, but a BB with Chris King quality does add a bit of reassurance.

Bike Rumor blurb about Chris King
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    ^ Agreed. I went with the eccentric partially due to their being a slip fit having hardware to secure the cups to the BB shell.

Ballstein Models
    They are also going to have a PF24 version for us Shimano types. I just pulled my cranks for the second time to re-press the PF30-BSA adapter. The drive side likes to walk out about a mm or two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet. I'll wait until Q1 to get a new bottom bracket then. Thanks for the info.

For those of us using the truvativ pf30 adapter to the standard external BB cups, did you put in a 2.5mm spacer between the driveside adapter and the bottom bracket cup (Chris king in my case)?
    I already pressed in the BB and adapter before I realized I forgot the spacer, and am not sure what tool to use to press them out .
    Since both cups are pressed in, the standard 1 1/8 headset remover tool doesn't fit into the spindle hole. Any suggestions short of using a screwdriver to pound out the adapter?
    Last edited by unfluid one; 09-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one View Post
    For those of us using the truvativ pf30 adapter to the standard external BB cups, did you put in a 2.5mm spacer between the driveside adapter and the bottom bracket cup (Chris king in my case)?
    I already pressed in the BB and adapter before I realized I forgot the spacer, and am not sure what tool to use to press them out .
    Since both cups are pressed in, the standard 1 1/8 headset remover tool doesn't fit into the spindle hole. Any suggestions short of using a screwdriver to pound out the adapter?
    No spacer between nylon adapter cups and BB shell on '12 Ciclon with XT bottom bracket and XT double crank.

Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    No spacer between nylon adapter cups and BB shell on '12 Ciclon with XT bottom bracket and XT double crank.
    how about between the nylon cup and the xt bb?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one View Post
    how about between the nylon cup and the xt bb?
    I don't specifically remember so I just looked. Looks like a single black spacer on the drive side between adapter and BB bearing. Not sure how thick it is without taking it all apart. I built the bike, but it was few months ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have that combo on my El Rey. I first put the spacer between the drive-side cup and the adapter. I really only did so because that cup, specifically on the CK BB (as I've never noticed this on others) is longer, and it seemed to bottom out the threads before being flush with the adapter. But then I thought it was bringing my chainline out just a hair, and my front shifting wasn't that great anyway, so I took it apart and removed the spacer. Frankly, from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference whether the spacer is there or not. Maybe someone else can chime in and set us straight with a real answer with some real technical reasoning, but that was my experience.

Ballstein Models
    ^^^^
    Same experience here. 12 El Rey w/ a King BB. Tried both. I had a ticking sound with the spacer. Solved by removing the spacer.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I recently installed a SRAM PF30 BB and XO BB30 crankset on my new Zeus frame. First time for me with the system but it seems to have drag when spinning on the stand. Is this normal that some have experienced? I am starting to second guess my purchase and wonder how solid the bearings are. I heard a rumor King has developed a PF30 BB. If so I will probably be on board with that quickly. I have 2 Kings on my other bikes and they rock solid and so easy to service. Bike is not built yet so maybe it will feel different rolling. Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but it was somewhat related.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the FSAPF30 and a X9 crank and it definitely dragged when you spun the crank. It loosened up over time, but I'm getting the King BB when it comes out in Q1 next year. The FSA BB is already rough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Phishin Paul - thats exactly what I installed on my Zeus as well. I had to put my cranks in the freezer and really put some beef down via rubber mallet to get them through the bearings. My initial reaction was identical to yours, I was even worried that I'd done some damage. The cranks wouldn't spin worth a darn on the stand but after about 10 miles, that all went away and they spin freely. Granted, I'd LOVE to have a CK bottom bracket, but I'll wait until these wear out first....

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Eber and Endo73, thanks for the replies. Makes me feel a whole lot better. I too had to really pound the rubber mallet to get them in. I kept thinking I am probably messing something up and will have to purchase another set. My King hubs were on backorder for 2 plus weeks so I still do not have my new rig built up. Killing me!!!!

thanks
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If I ever have to get another crank I'm not getting the PF30...unless I find that the King PF30 BB works out. I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling with the PF30 right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    im using a sram pf30 adapter,with xtr bottom brckaet.
    problem is my mechanic put a spacer on non drive side instead on drive side.is that ok?

i dont have problems on shifting so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast