Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceasprec View Post
    im using a sram pf30 adapter,with xtr bottom brckaet.
    problem is my mechanic put a spacer on non drive side instead on drive side.is that ok?

i dont have problems on shifting so far.
    Ventana's don't use a spacer on either side since it's 73mm, unless...?
    breezy shade

Unfit Norwegian
    I'm waiting for a Chris King PF30 BB to become available from Aspire Velotech. I trust that'll last for years. King will come with adapters for 24mm axles, and I'm sure that will work great, but I like the thought of a 30mm axle better, and am looking at cranks. I think my current favorite is the e*thirteen TRS+ or TRS Race with a Renthal sprocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    I have installed the SRAM PF30-BSA press in adapter with a Chris King MTB bottom bracket. Works very well once you realize the installation instructions from can lead to ruining an adapter. Best advice is press in, then thread in, rather than the instructed reverse.
    I have a BB30 XX1 crankset and my Stumpjumper Carbon 29 Singlespeed frame I bought second hand and I didn't realize this upon purchase that it has a GXP adater in it. Are these easily removed?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am using a PF30 bearing set from C-Bear. It uses aluminium cups and top quality bearings filled with grease for offroad conditions. I have put a lot of miles into it in all weathers and it is silky smooth and silent. Quality piece of kit.
    AJR

Ballstein Models

What PF30 set up are people using

I just installed the RWC PF30-HT2 BB in an El Cap. Very nice part. I really like how the two halves actually screw together to tension and clamp within the shell. No need for silly adapters. Bearings out where they are supposed to be. I'd been waiting for the King solution but when I saw they too were using chunks of plastic to adapr the PF30 to a 24mm spindle I went elsewhere.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I will have Press Adapters for the King PF30, PF24 and generic PF30 Bottom Brackets by July 1st.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Just got the SRAM PF30 replaced with the Chris King PF30 (BB30 crankset so no need for adapters) on my Zeus and I literally gained one gear. I highly recommend the upgrade!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Just got the SRAM PF30 replaced with the Chris King PF30 (BB30 crankset so no need for adapters) on my Zeus and I literally gained one gear. I highly recommend the upgrade!
    It is on my list. I cannot wait but the SRAM is still alive for now. Saving my pennies right now for a dropper post. I have the threaded CK BB on other bike. Do you know if the grease tool works with the new PF30 or do they sell a different one?
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Yes, CK sells another grease tool for the PF30 BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ditto on that. Kirkland bike in WA built my bike for me- zero creaks from the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    I have installed the SRAM PF30-BSA press in adapter with a Chris King MTB bottom bracket. Works very well once you realize the installation instructions from can lead to ruining an adapter. Best advice is press in, then thread in, rather than the instructed reverse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul View Post
    It is on my list. I cannot wait but the SRAM is still alive for now. Saving my pennies right now for a dropper post. I have the threaded CK BB on other bike. Do you know if the grease tool works with the new PF30 or do they sell a different one?
    see the bottom of this page, it shows the 2 grease tool options 24mm and 30mm
    Press Fit Bottom Brackets | Chris King Precision Components

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a FSA PF30 to a 24mm adapter for my Shimano Hallowtech II XT crank. My issue is that after two rides of replacing the bearings, they are full of sand again. I think is the cover the FSA has for the bearings, that is not a good system.

I don't want to have to be taking the bearing out every month to clean them. You guys have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the Praxis Works but do you have any suggestions on how to keep the bottom bracket bearings clean?

Thank you
    Damian

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I finally installed the praxis bottom bracket. What in the world was I waiting for? The difference in pedaling was as significant as going from a 2007 X5 to my '12 Ciclon. So yes, I could immediately tell the difference.

I had been running a hope ceramic bearing BB with the SRAM PF30 adapter. Memorial Day weekend I noticed some creaking from the BB. Got back to camp and pulled it apart to find quite a bit of crunchiness in what I think was the non drive side bearing. Had my Comandante with me to finish riding the weekend, so no big deal.

At home I popped the bearing out of the housing to flush it and see if I could get rid of the crunchy-ness. No problem, bearing ran as smooth as can be. However, pressing the bearing back into the housing (the metal piece that is knurled and actually sits outside the frame and is the thing you put the external BB tool too), the bearing now felt crunchy again. Pressed it in and out a couple of times...each time it was fine outside the housing, but felt crunchy inside the housing. I can only speculate that a misalignment, however slight, messed with things a bit.

Anyway, I too looked at CK. But was really disappointed to see them using plastic as well. Thanks to this thread, I looked at the praxis works BB. While yes, it does use a full length plastic sleeve in PF30 applications, unlike the SRAM plastic cups...the plastic the praxis BB uses has nothing to do with alignment of the two bearings. Having the two bearing housings actually thread into each other using both an interference fit and a clamping/compressive load that the bearing housings place on the frame makes infinitely more sense than having bearing housings floating around in two separate pieces of plastic.

Ballstein Models
    What PF30 set up are people using-screen-shot-2013-06-24-05.27.-53.jpg

Ride report on the Real World Cycling RWC PF30-HT2 BB. After over 50 miles of sloppy, messy singletrack I am pleased to report this bottom bracket is still smooth, grit free, and spins like buttah. No creaks, no issues, never gave it a second thought except to notice how smooth it was spinning. Highly recommend this all metal solution to the run 24mm spindle cranks on a PF30 frame

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2