Cars Hurt.
    May 2009

What kind of abuse have you put your Ventana through?

I'm almost finished with my El Capitan build and I have this 4-5' drop in mind that I've never dared to try on my 80mm hardtail. The frame looks like it could take much more than that without a sweat. So fellow Ventana owners, what kind of abuse have you put your bike through? Drops, hucks, ect?

Space Ghost
    With that frame, I believe your wheels will be the limiting factor. That has been my experience (Flows/Hopes/Double butted spokes....should have gone straight taper I guess). Or if you are smooth like butter, it won't matter, I'm a hack.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Thinking back on all the bikes I've owned it seems that the straight gauge spokes break more often. But that could be due to them coming on cheaper wheels that are not build as well. I thought part of the argument for double butted was that they stretched just a little which made for a more supple wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

I sold both of mine....

....I wish I didnt have to.... Felt like an abusive parent. Does that count?

-- Feel the gin

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ventana
    ....I wish I didnt have to.... Felt like an abusive parent. Does that count?

-- Feel the gin
    I'm calling VPS on you!
    (Ventana Protective Services)
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Depends

The El Capitan is a pretty robust frame.....I had an 06 that came with 4" travel rockers at the time ! Mine was set up more for xc use but the frame sure seemed to be strong and stiff enough for more adventurous play...it did see a bit of air time but nothing big since I have other bikes for that ! With strong wheels and the right components it should do what your talking......however , as always you pay to play which is just part of this sport ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 04-12-2011 at 05:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mine eventually cracked, but I never did shy away from something that looked fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

orthonormal
    The slope of the landing area is a big factor. You can land some pretty big drops with little impact to the frame if there's a nice transition. Drops to flat require you to suck up more of the landing with your arms and legs to limit the beating your bike will take.

I used to have an urban route I took to work on my old Bianchi BuSS (3.5 lb. Easton Ultralite tubed frame). There were two 3' to flat drops from a cinder block wall into a parking lot that I did almost every day for about 2 years. That frame is now 11 years old and i'm still using it as a commuter. Still have the original wheels on there too.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I swear that picture Bunny posted was of my bike on a drop I found off the main line on Slickrock trail. But, I don't have a DHX air on mine - perhaps if I did, I wouldn't have bottomed. . .

But to answer your question - definitely depends on landing, but their frames take a lot of abuse. I ride things like the picture above pretty regularly for the past 3yrs on mine (going on four) and the only thing I have to show for it is some dings on the seat-tube from hitting the yoke on the seat-stays during drops such as above. Haven't had any headtube issues with the 160mm fork, still quite stiff, overall pretty burly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I ride things like the picture above pretty regularly for the past 3yrs on mine (going on four)

which model(s)?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I swear that picture Bunny posted was of my bike on a drop I found off the main line on Slickrock trail. But, I don't have a DHX air on mine - perhaps if I did, I wouldn't have bottomed. . .

Ha ha ha.. that is right off the main line of Slick Rock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    which model(s)?
    '08 Ciclon (130mm). Should be a picture of it in "DJ/4x mode" somewhere on the setup thread. . . before a pushed shock, re-paint, bearing replacement. Damn, I've had that thing a while!