mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. What exactly is an X-6?

I'm guessing an X-5 Front with a different rear? I'm thinking about replacing my '04 Specialized Enduro (5" front & back). Bottom line is I do not want a bike that flexes as bad as the Enduro. I weigh ~205# nekkid, so probably pushing 220+ with gear & water.

I would like to have a 20mm through-axle fork (no flex), most probably a 36 TALAS since I have had good luck with my 32 TALAS.

I do not currently jump. Mainly tight technical granny-gear rock gardens, climbs, & log hops. Maybe 6" is overkill? Maybe just a 5" Pike and the regular X-5, hell I do not know.

Plan on a full XT build, maybe some I9 wheels, coil DHX. I'll probably give Larry a shout when you guys make-up my mind.

I'm looking for a do it all, fat-guy's, XC/AM rig I guess. I really enjoyed riding in Moab/Fruita/Pisgah/etc.

Not too concernd about weight, as I'm no lightweight and usually have good legs. Yet I don't want overkill overbuild either. I can't ever see dropping over 4' or so.

Anyways, any input is much appreciated.

I think you are talking about a X-5 w/6" rockers.

Take a look at the Ciclon too if you are looking at 5" bikes.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I think you are talking about a X-5 w/6" rockers.

Take a look at the Ciclon too if you are looking at 5" bikes.
    ditto!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Will the 36 TALAS work on the 5" Ciclon?

Or does that totally whack-out the geometry? The TALAS only has 160-130-100 settings, where the Ciclon is designed for 140mm?

Shot Down in Flames...
    Based on your description of needs/wants, I would go with an X-5 or Ciclón and a PIKE.

I also recommend the CCDB and King/819 wheels over the DHX-C and I9s. I know at least 5 people who had trouble with I9s and went back to Kings.

YMMV,
    D

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    Or does that totally whack-out the geometry? The TALAS only has 160-130-100 settings, where the Ciclon is designed for 140mm?
    the ciclon is designed for a 511 A-C fork for optimal handling...the 36 at 130mm is roughly at that height...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

X-6?

If you want to be really particular I think an X-6 would be what I currently have at home in the garage. This is a semi-custom X-5 frame built to run at 6 inches front and back, but keep the same/very similar angles and bottom bracket height as the X-5 running 5 inches front and back.

My X-6 is built similar to what you are proposing. I will post up the details and some pics of it tonight.

I ordered this frame before the Terremoto was available. I am geussing the terremoto would go a fair way to filling this space now.

I should also add that prior to getting this bike I had a standard X5 that I was running at 6inches front and back. It was stolen when it was 6 weeks old. Insurance paid to replace it. I went for the semi-custom after deciding I wanted the bike to handle like the X5 at 5inches but with 6 inches of travel. Does that make sense? Sherwood helped me through this decision. Another great Ventana experience. My X6 is awesome.

Frame; semi custom X6, built specifically for 6 inches front and back
    Forks: 36 TALAS RC2 (2006 model so it can be run at 150mm unlike the later models)
    Brakes: Formula Greg Minaar Limited edition K24
    Wheels: Industry 9 enduro
    Tyres: Larsen 2.35
    Cranks: Shimano XT
    Shifters/Derailleurs: SRAM X9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John U; 11-28-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: pictures added

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

It's like when Nigel said

My amp goes to eleven......"Eleven IS louder than ten." .....So X-6 when set up correctly is more travel then X-5

Two Tired

Go for it!

I am similar size and riding style with a "standard" X-5. I am very happy with it. I am running a Pike up front that has been working well. Some people seem to have an issue with the X-5 geometry, but I have really grown to like it. It is stiff and I like the abundant stand-over. Actually, I like the non-standard look of the frame since it is different from all the traditional triangle bikes on the the trail (to each his own). The only thing I have noticed is that it doesn't really support a water bottle since I don't count the mounting under the frame where the bottle doubles as a front fender.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks John, that's exactly what I am talking about!! Very cool ride!! Let me see if I can get a 4th mortgage on the house and get one of these beauties....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I love my X-5/6. The standover is great, I have always liked the look of an X-frame, it is tough as hell, and it does stand out from all the triangles out there. I like having the option of 5 or 6 inches rear travel as I can slack out the bike a bit for steep downhill runs or run at 6 if I feel I need a bit more cushion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Based on your description of needs/wants, I would go with an X-5 or Ciclón and a PIKE.

I also recommend the CCDB and King/819 wheels over the DHX-C and I9s. I know at least 5 people who had trouble with I9s and went back to Kings.

YMMV,
    D
    Hi D,

Can you please give more info about the I9 problems. Thanks.