mtbr member
    Feb 2006

What are the bigger Ventana's like ?

I love that black Terremoto in the thread below !

I've only ridden an El Salt and my El Ciclon - anything else would sadly be wasted on me - but I'd love ago on the El Terremoto or even the La Bruja....

What are they like compared to the smaller Ventana's - the thought of having something that tracks and handles as well as the El Ciclon but with 6 or 7 "s of travel makes me come over a bit strange......

Team Fearless Descender
    Ha! Well honestly, my El Salt is really all I’d need with my “skills”, (like driving a Hummer in Los Angeles) but... I could not resist the Terremoto. It is a pure blast to ride, and having an El Salt as well, lets me choose my weapon depending on the ride for the day. I will say, the Terremoto is a “point and shoot” kind of bike. I love being able to hit, and ride over, things that I can’t with my other bikes. A little heavier on the climbs, but just plane fun once things point downhill.

If you get a chance to ride one, I think you’ll have to have one... so be careful. Now, who’s got an El Cuervo I can test ride!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ride both the El Ciclon and the Terremoto. As the rear ends are basically the same both handle corners and bumps as well as any Ventana.I have also used the Ciclon in 6" setting as a direct comparison to the Terremoto.The main difference will be that you will build the Terremoto with more robust parts. Leon's Terremoto weighs 31.5lbs and has08 160mm Nixon.Mine weighs33.5 I have Wotan forks and the El Ciclon with almost the same build but using 145mm Nixon forks weighs 31lb.
    The choice will be down to weight. I have used them both on my favorite rides and would take either anywhere I chose to ride.
    Can I say one is better than the other, after much deliberation the answer is no. The El Terremoto is designed for a rider like me, I like climbing but dont race up hills, I like going as fast as I can on the way down and I like drop jumps. When riding the El Ciclon I dont do the bigger drops so often as it is not really designed to handle them like the Terremoto.
    If your main aim is a light weight trail bike then you already have one, perhaps a rocker and shock change and a longer set of forks will be the best answer. i know ther are a few riders who swop around depending on the ride location.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a newer La Bruja out there? There's very little rider info on it. How does it compare to other bikes in the category like the Highline, Uzzi, etc? How much does it weigh with an air or coil shock?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Interesting last point AJR.

Justa - Now I have an El Salt at 4", my 05 X6 is set up agressively with Pushed RP23, DT Swiss 1750 wheels like AJR, 50mm X4 stem, wide easton CNT DH bar, double and bash and either U turn Pikes or a spare Lyrik and feels quite aggressive. I've had it in the lift assisted French Alps, Switzerland and Sierra Nevada (Spain) and it handles like a bigger bike. With the Lyrik I can straight line through all but the biggest stuff and keep up with others on much bigger bikes. Just avoid the bigger drops.

As its army green and with the wheels and the x brace - it looks like a mini version of Sherwoods Bruja. I like the idea of having an agressive handling shorter travel bike, not that I wouldn't die to own a Bruja or a Cuervo!

Tweaking my set up has really worked for me.

Baller/Biker

6" of travel?

I love the look of that bike but I would not have a use case. Maybe one day if i continue to get better on the bike and tech stuff i'll need it but for now My Salty eats up the trails here in the DE-MD-PA area I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks all

AJR - I think you've missed my point a bit ! I agree that the El Ciclon is the perfect bike for me - just need to win the lottery so that I could have an El Terremoto too....

I don't think it would improve my riding that much though !