mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Well...There's great news and then there is.....

I finally decided to step into the present and buy my very first full suspension frame. I am working on a limited budget and have never found a frame that I felt offer the quality I wanted for what I could spend. I was resigned to riding my Klein hardtails because I wasn't going to settle. That was, until Ventana closed out the Panteras through Cambria. I was so stoked to be able to afford a US made, relatively small shop, high-quality frame. I have been very impressed by Ventana's stuff for years. I know it was their least expensive frame, but I felt that it was perfect for my needs and it was of much higher quality than everything else I looked at even close to the price range. Anyway, got the frame yesterday and was really surprised. There is a hole near one of the welds as seen in the photo. The hole is about 1/8 inch deep and about as big around as an unsharpened pencil lead. It almost loks like a bubble that popped. There are also two small scrapes next to the hole. Its not visable, but there was also sticker residue below the hole and a small arrow that appeared to be pencil or something pointing from the sticker residue to the hole. It appered to me that somebody (maybe in QC) caught the issue but shipped it off anyway. Is this typical of the touted high-quality? Please give me your opinion. I am very happy with the frame overall and really dissapointed with this issue. Am I being a weenie? Should I expect such workmanship on a "more affordable" frame. Could this effect the durability of the frame. Input or advice is really appreciated. I have not contacted Cambria or Ventana yet and I'm undecided as to what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MoonriseRascal; 04-24-2004 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonriseRascal
    I finally decided to step into the present and buy my very first full suspension frame. I am working on a limited budget and have never found a frame that I felt offer the quality I wanted for what I could spend. I was resigned to riding my Klein hardtails because I wasn't going to settle. That was, until Ventana closed out the Panteras through Cambria. I was so stoked to be able to afford a US made, relatively small shop, high-quality frame. I have been very impressed by Ventana's stuff for years. I know it was their least expensive frame, but I felt that it was perfect for my needs and it was of much higher quality than everything else I looked at even close to the price range. Anyway, got the frame yesterday and was really surprised. There is a hole in one of the welds as seen in the photo. The hole is about 1/8 inch deep and about as big around as an unsharpened pencil lead. It almost loks like a bubble that popped. There are also two small scrapes next to the hole. Its not visable, but there was also sticker residue below the hole and a small arrow that appeared to be pencil or something pointing from the sticker residue to the hole. It appered to me that somebody (maybe in QC) caught the issue but shipped it off anyway. Is this typical of the touted high-quality welds? Please give me your opinion. I am very happy with the frame overall and really dissapointed with this issue. Am I being a weenie? Should I expect such workmanship on a "more affordable" frame. Could this effect the durability of the frame. Input or advice is really appreciated. I have not contacted Cambria or Ventana yet and I'm undecided as to what to do.

hey, just talk to Sherwood or Theresa. They are a stand up group. i cannot say enough about them, and their service !!

Worse comes to worse, stick some JB weld in there and plug it up

Model of Grace and Tact
    Are you sure the frame wasn't a 'second'? That might explain the closeout price....

banned

not a "second"

Sherwood already posted in here about why the Panteras are on closeout. the model hasn't sold as well as he expected, and he's not going to make it any longer.

I would guess it's because too many people think that the Ells Isis is the better choice for single pivot 4" FS. Poor fools.

Members who have read this thread: 0