jbf
    mtbr member

Vintage Build - El Chamuco

I went roadie for a few years but have been riding a steel hardtail recently and starting to think it is time to build the old El Chamuco. I am lusting for the new Ciclon but that is not in the cards now. I did notice that there is an amazing similarity between the Ciclon/Chamuco in terms of geometry. I used to run a 130mm Z-1 on this frame, but it is on the hardtail now so I recently acquired a new 150mm 44 RC3 Ti for only $250 to put on this baby. I have most of the parts I need to complete the build, but ...

The good news is I have an old Manitou 3-way air shock (7.875 X 2.25) that fits the frame. The bad news is I need to buy 12mm reducers for it to fit this frame. Before I blow the $ on reducers, any other budget sugestions for a better air shock that take the 1/2" reducers I already have?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Build - El Chamuco-frame.jpg  

Lightly salted
    Nice frame! The Chamuco was my first ventana frame and I've owned a ventana ever since.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Get a nice little DHX 5 Coil, which will weigh more than an air shock and perform twice as well, come on it's a 6'' travel frame! Gorgeous by the way! In a twist of luck I ended up with Cannondale Gemini 900 instead of an El Chamuco about five years ago when I purchasing my first longer travel frame.......what might've been
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i just built one of those !

fun bike , sees duty as a 26'er and 650b .

i overbuilt it in search of low maintainance and hardcore durability . i went w/ a 7.875x2.0 dhx5.0 air and have the original low use romic left over , you want ?

jbf
    mtbr member

Help me pick a shock

OK, parts are coming along for the El Chamuco build but for the rear I am going back and forth on shocks. I'll be running a 150mm Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti (coil) up front and can't decide between 1.) Marzocchi Roco Lo (air) 2.) Fox Vanilla RC (coil) 3.) Monarch RT3 (air mid tune) and Swinger 3 air (already have but new bushings are expensive!).

Tell me what you think ....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i like the air units and i found that a reg size air chamber works better than the hv cans , rt3 or swinger would be my choice out of your picks . out of curiosity i just tried a rp23 hv can mid tune unit off a friends bike on mine , a total fail on the chammy

have you checked out the offerings from push for the rt shocks , esp the rt/am that the platform adj is converted to comp adjustment, 370 bucks and it's built for YOU & YOUR MACHINE

there is a nice elka stage 5 coil on ebay right now that has bushings for a salty or ciclon installed , doubt they are the same as a chammy but fox stuff fits them

lovin my chammy , kinda the do it all bike & w/ 650b's , it's faaaaaaassssssssssst

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Should you decide to go with the Swinger, I've got a reducer for Manitou shocks to fit the Chamuco. I've had no use for it since breaking my Chamuco, so let me know if you're interested.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Should you decide to go with the Swinger, I've got a reducer for Manitou shocks to fit the Chamuco. I've had no use for it since breaking my Chamuco, so let me know if you're interested.
    I'm interested - check your PM's

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Cambria bike outfitters was selling the original spring shock for the chamuco super cheap. I believe it's a romic shock. Check them out. I just upgraded my chamuco to an external bottom bracket set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    now that i think about it i have an extra set for the front that fits a fox

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbykemike View Post
    now that i think about it i have an extra set for the front that fits a fox
    Thanks but I do have a set of fox sized reducers. I have since acquired a vanilla RC coil shock as well as the Swinger 3 way air.

I am still looking for 22mm reducers to fit the front of the Manitou however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i got em ! i needed 8x22 for the 3way i put on my possum , the ones i took out were 6x22 , just checked em .

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbykemike View Post
    i got em ! i needed 8x22 for the 3way i put on my possum , the ones i took out were 6x22 , just checked em .
    If the reducers came off a 3-way they must be 12mm O.D. That is what I am looking for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yeah they came of a 3 way and are the same o.d. as my other manitou set , which is different from my fox , rockshox and romic , which are all the same .

the 6mm was the bolt hole , the fat possum uses 8mm , my chamuco and pantera are 6mm

if you have a manitou and need the front spacer set , what i have is the right stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very nice, that is a pristine Chamuco! Sadly mine was stripped of it's parts to donate them to my Terremoto but the Chamuco was a great ride to this day I still think it's one of the best all around "Moab" bikes I've built or rode. I actually liked the stock Romic shock on the Chamuco but it wasn't the best for pedaling efficiency. They had some leaking issues when they first came out I believe I know mine had to go back after it spewed oil all over right after I got it but then it's been great. I tried an RP3 on it and never really liked it, but it did pedal better with the propedal on.

The Chamuco was a great sleeper bike, since it was a "lower cost" Ventana it never really got much marketing praise but everyone that hopped on mine loved riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
    The Chamuco was a great sleeper bike, since it was a "lower cost" Ventana it never really got much marketing praise but everyone that hopped on mine loved riding it.

this !

mine is real good w/ 26" wheels but w/ 650b's it is incredible , everyone that rides it loves it for what it does , almost 29'er fast but handles great

Proud lame eBiker
    Never had so much FUN on a bike than on the Chamuco years ago at Downieville. That is until I rode a Chucho there as well. And now the version 2.0 Chucho pedals so much better.
    But man, there was just something about that Chamuco, it created ear splitting grins!

Working on a guy who has two, yes TWO< XL Chamuco's in his garage. Trying to get one for myself....You can never have too many Ventana's.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Still riding my Chamuco and loving it. I am thinking of some upgrades right now, but not sure what to upgrade yet, as it does everything I want presently. It would be nice if it was lighter I guess. Some of my riding buddies are getting new bikes and try to pursuade me to get a new bike, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the old girl.