Tame the Penguin!

Ventanarama: Thanks for the "PUSH"

So....my 3 biggest complaints about the X-5 Exotica, pedal bob, squishy feeling rear suspension aka "tennis ball" feel, and slight brake jack inducing the rear wheel to get light under extreme deceleration.

The suggested fix.....replace the Romic with a Fox Vanilla RC with the full race treatment from PUSH Industries ($165 + $12 shipping).

I just got the shock from Ventanarama yesterday and rode it today.

With the Fox compression dampening knob cranked all the way in, it feels identical to the Fox DHX 5.0 with the Pro Pedal knob cranked all the way in. We are talking 1-2 mm of pedal bob under high rpm (90 +) cadence. The Romic would bob 10-15mm.

The rear end no longer feels squishy. When doing wheelies to cross water bars, the Romic feels like a tennis ball, just plain squishy. The PUSH Vanilla RC, feels like a stable platform right up until it needs to absorb the dip in the water bar, then it glides smoothly through it's travel with no feeling of stiction. It feels rather elegant if a shock can do so.

The quick deceleration brake jack is gone, and I mean G-O-N-E. The rear wheel hooked up better tonight than it ever has under rapid deceleration.

I'm impressed. I've got 2 turns of preload on the 600# spring. 8 turns in on rebound and the compression dampening knob is turned all the way in (at least for tonights ride). I'll be fine tuning it as I get more miles on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Beastro; 09-24-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Bodhisattva
    I knew you'd dig it. They do great work. You around this weekend?

Tame the Penguin!

Saturday only.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I knew you'd dig it. They do great work. You around this weekend?
    I'll be around on Saturday...working on the home remodel project. I'd like to sneak out in the afternoon for a ride though.

You riding tomorrow?

Bodhisattva
    Yeah, I'm riding.
    Likely early. Made a deal with the Mrs. to go early & get back.

Probably doin' the Bone for the sake of time. Let me know if you're interested. I'm hoping to take out the Chamuco.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Beastro: So you bought a Pushed RC from Larry? Or you bought an RC from Larry and re-sent it out to have it Pushed?

I've been very curious about going the Push route for a while now. Lots of people say they really like the feel of the Romic but I can't seem to get mine "dialed" to the point where it feels very plush, even with the compression knob all the way out. Perhaps it came from the factory with a bit too much valving for someone my weight (145, 150 # with gear)?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Bodhisattva
    At this point the PUSH service is only done by PUSH in CA, soon to be Colorado from what I hear.

You could buy a new Vanilla or, save the cash, & buy one used off ebay cheaply then send it in. PUSH essentially gives you a brand new shock. In the end you're left with the original outer can but all internals are brand-spankin' new.

aka Willy Vanilly
    7 7/8"i2i x 2" stroke right?

Also, will the RC fit on a medium X-5 in terms of the piggyback and all that?
    Last edited by will8250; 09-24-2004 at 08:11 AM.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Tame the Penguin!

PUSH me baby....

Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    7 7/8"i2i x 2" stroke right?

Also, will the RC fit on a medium X-5 in terms of the piggyback and all that?
    Vanilla RC fitment:
    7.7875 x 2.0" for 5" X-5 rockers
    7.7875 x 2.25" for 6" X-5 rockers

The RC's external canister will clear the downtube on the medium X-5.

Tame the Penguin!

Time for a PUSH up!

Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Beastro: So you bought a Pushed RC from Larry? Or you bought an RC from Larry and re-sent it out to have it Pushed?
    Due to the custom nature of the internal tuning that PUSH does, Larry doesn't keep PUSH'd shocks in stock. Rather, as a reseller for PUSH, he consults with his customers on their intended use for the shock, riding style, weight, application, etc. then sends a Fox shock into PUSH for the custom valving and tuning based on those parameters. He can either send in a brand new shock you've purchased from him, or a used you you already have.

As Squeaky Wheel suggested, purchasing a used shock is typically the most economical way to get your PUSH'd Fox on your bike.

Vanilla RC's are hard to get right now as they are being phased out for the new DHX line. I purchased a used RC from a fellow MTBR brother and had Larry PUSH it for me.

Tame the Penguin!

Squeak...let's ride early

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yeah, I'm riding.
    Likely early. Made a deal with the Mrs. to go early & get back.

Probably doin' the Bone for the sake of time. Let me know if you're interested. I'm hoping to take out the Chamuco.
    Hey Squeak,

Let's hit the Bone early to miss the hikers. What time would you like to go tomorrow?

--El Beastro

Bodhisattva
    Miss the hikers?

After last night's meeting I'm ready to run them over. I figure it can't do any harm to MTB access at this point

Could I interest you, perhaps, maybe with a run on the short loop of...........CROSIER?

Meet at Mtn High around 7:15 or so. I'll grab the Chamuco, be at the trailhead by 8 ish, back by 10:30-11 at the latest. Just the ride to & from the parking lot up the "short loop."

Or else the Bone, meeting at Mtn High around 8 am, would be perfect.

Tame the Penguin!

Tomorrow's ride

Now, now...Squeak. That's just the attitude that's going to escalate emotions until someone gets pepper sprayed on the trail.

I'm riding the bone tonight at dusk....but I should have the legs to ride Crosier tomorrow morning. Let's meet at 7:15am at the shop and decide what to do from there. I may have another rider along it tow....but I won't know until then.

BTW...the Chamuco is currently missing the wheels....I imagine they went back to their 'donor' bikes.

Bodhisattva
    Only the rear is missing & I have permission from the original owner to canabilize said Bruja for tomorrow. I'll drop you an email later.

Trail Rider
    I'm considering an X5 and have a question. The seat stay pivot bikes behave like single pivots when braking. I've owned a single pivot bike and noticed the rear compressing and then skidding when braking. Is that what you mean by "light"?
    Does the Pushed shock compression platform keep the shock from compressing as much. Does it seem to remain more active when braking?
    Thanks in advance!

banned
    Quattro, I can't speak to the Fox's performance as I'm using a somewhat stiffly sprung Romic which has a tiny bit of brake chatter, but El Beastro's first post above said this about the Push'd shock's response to brake performance:

The quick deceleration brake jack is gone, and I mean G-O-N-E. The rear wheel hooked up better tonight than it ever has under rapid deceleration.

Tame the Penguin!

Udate on tuning...

Now that I've ridden the PUSH'd Vanilla RC quite a bit, here are my tuning specs.

600# spring with 1 1/2 turns preload
    7 turns in on rebound

For climbing fire roads or pavement: compression dampening knob in full

For climbing smooth single track: comp knob out 3 turns

For climbing moderately bumpy tech single track: comp knob out 8 turns

For descending moderate bumpy stuff: comp knob out 8 turns

For descending the crazy stuff at a rate of 4 to the 7th power: comp knob out full (12 turns)

I'm still amazed at this shock setup. Nothing like having a grin on your face the ENTIRE ride. WHOOO!!!

mtbr member

excuse my ignorance....

But how I can measure the head angle and seat angle?
    Mas vale ser punky que maricon de playa

mtbr member

wrong thread...

sorry but this reply was suppose to appear in other thread
    Mas vale ser punky que maricon de playa