Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ultra Ventanaphile

Ventana Website is updated!

Geometry for El Ciclon and El Rey is posted as well as the first look DRAWING of what the new frames will look like.

www.Ventanausa.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ventana Website is updated!-home_3-30-11.jpg  

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

tl1
    Bicyclist

Good God man!

That's too much excitement all at once for us Ventana fans!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    WOW you're fast. I've checking on the hour every hour since talking with Sherwood on Thursday......thought for sure I would be first to report this great news but forgot you're plugged into the Ventana Underground Comm Center (VUCC).

http://ventanausa.com/2011_El_Ciclon_Geometry2.html

http://ventanausa.com/2011_El_Rey_Geometry2.html

At least I will post the links

All I have to say are those Ciclon numbers are fantastic.......have the standard colors changed for 2011.....PC rear end or BB. What about MSRP?

Another thing came to mind....what does the cable run look like......zipties or ?????

Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 04-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Team Chilidog!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I'm glad I got a 2009 El Rey, that toptube is really ugly. I hope it's not hydroformed, LOL. Also disappointing (to me) are the asymmetrical chainstays and the wrap around headtube brace also seems to be gone.

Apart from that the frame looks great. The main pivot location also seems like the correct spot, like it is on my Rocky mountain and Titus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not thrilled with the toptube myself. Will the Saltamontes have that toptube as well?

Space Ghost
    I would trade my El Rey for that in a heartbeat! I can get a 24.5" ETT in a 19". I would lose over a pound off the frame. I think the design is dead sexy too! Look forward to seeing them in the "flesh" as it were.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    I think they will look better in the flesh. The trade-in could turn out really expensive if you look at the headtube length. You'd better have lots of spacers installed if you want to keep your old forks. (for me that would mean getting a new Lefty as the 17" gained more then 1" of headtube).

Would a straight TT be any lighter? Less tube, smaller brace? Sounds like a killer custom option to me Would mean more stand over height though.

/edit: oh, wait. Its a tapered headtube. Would get really tight when using a Lefty on the 17" though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    pretty sweet that there will be the option of 140mm or 150mm....on the ciclon. prob would have bought a spot if they had bumped up the travel to 150mm or had that option. cant wait to see this thing welded up.

mtbr member
    21" El Rey please

mtbr member
    Wow! The 2011 Ciclon 150mm just jumped way up on my bikes to build list! Look'n good Ventana crew. Make sure to keep the head tube compatible with the Cane Creek AngleSet. 44 top and 56 bottom is a nice AngleSet combo.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I bet they look great...nice to see some changes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    Wow! The 2011 Ciclon 150mm just jumped way up on my bikes to build list! Look'n good Ventana crew. Make sure to keep the head tube compatible with the Cane Creek AngleSet. 44 top and 56 bottom is a nice AngleSet combo.
    I agree.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Looks good. Now let's see some photos

Not to be an $#% but a couple of the numbers look off. The HT's are pretty tall especially on the El Rey. I assume it's to make up for a flush headset top? The static BB is higher on the 100mm El Rey than the 140mm Ciclon. I imagine tire clearance at the ST is cause. The reach numbers seem long - I wonder how accurate they are? Other than that the new designs look killer!

Are semi-custom frames still an option?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Looks good. Now let's see some photos

Not to be an $#% but a couple of the numbers look off. The HT's are pretty tall especially on the El Rey. I assume it's to make up for a flush headset top? The static BB is higher on the 100mm El Rey than the 140mm Ciclon. I imagine tire clearance at the ST is cause. The reach numbers seem long - I wonder how accurate they are? Other than that the new designs look killer!

Are semi-custom frames still an option?
    Yes, there are still semi-custom options. I'm doing two: a custom head angle and a shorter reach.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Those are some stretched out numbers on Ciclon. 23.6" and 426mm reach in second smallest "medium" size? Kinda like Yeti 575 measures things.
    Not that there is any actual difference, just get the right size...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ventana
    Not thrilled with the toptube myself. Will the Saltamontes have that toptube as well?
    Turtelhead! You're alive! Welcome back!

The top tube was a shock to me ever since I saw it a few months back, but it's growing on me, I like the fact the taco gusset is still there, keeps the familiar V, look.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Only looking at the Rey...

Like the short chainstays.
    TT seems long for me as well
    Standover is not good at all. One of the highest Iv seen.
    HA seems OK, 70 is a good number for a 29er. 71 would be better for me

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    Those are some stretched out numbers on Ciclon. 23.6" and 426mm reach in second smallest "medium" size? Kinda like Yeti 575 measures things.
    Not that there is any actual difference, just get the right size...
    On paper, the medium Ciclon's reach is longer than my large Spot. Looking at the ETT and SA the reach seems like it should be shorter on the Ciclon. The reach numbers seem like they could be 1" off by mistake. Or, maybe Turner has the wrong reach measurements posted.

L Spot w/150 fork: 23.6" ETT, 73* SA, 16" Reach
    M Ciclon w/150 fork: 23.6 ETT, 72* SA, 16.76" Reach

The reach on the M Ciclon should be shorter than the L Spot since it has a slacker SA and the same ETT. Is this correct or am I missing something?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    On paper, the medium Ciclon's reach is longer than my large Spot. Looking at the ETT and SA the reach seems like it should be shorter on the Ciclon. The reach numbers seem like they could be 1" off by mistake. Or, maybe Turner has the wrong reach measurements posted.

L Spot w/150 fork: 23.6" ETT, 73* SA, 16" Reach
    M Ciclon w/150 fork: 23.6 ETT, 72* SA, 16.76" Reach

The reach on the M Ciclon should be shorter than the L Spot since it has a slacker SA and the same ETT. Is this correct or am I missing something?

But Turners are short on reach compared to other frames. I think DT once stated his design is more of an upright rider position verses stretched out. I like the 25.4 ETT on the XL Ciclon. But with Ventana you have the semi-custom option available. I wonder why Turner doesn't offer a semi-custom option.......DT could contract with Ventana to do all there semi-customs

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ
    Only looking at the Rey...

Standover is not good at all. One of the highest Iv seen.
    ??? For every size, the Standover is between a 1/2" to a full 1" lower than the previous year El Rey. Example 19" 2010 was 31.5" , 2011 is 30.34" .

Sultan is 31.5" Tallboy is 29.9" (with a ridiculously low 12.8" BB)

So how's that highest?
    -Aaron G.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    But Turners are short on reach compared to other frames. I think DT once stated his design is more of an upright rider position verses stretched out. I like the 25.4 ETT on the XL Ciclon. But with Ventana you have the semi-custom option available. I wonder why Turner doesn't offer a semi-custom option.......DT could contract with Ventana to do all there semi-customs
    Yep, I agree!

However, I'm looking at the numbers and trying to figure out how the 16.76" reach on the medium El C came to be. Can a Ventana insider clarify?

Team Chilidog!
    Yep, I agree!

However, I'm looking at the numbers and trying to figure out how the 16.76" reach on the medium El C came to be. Can a Ventana insider clarify?
    Not an insider, but I can give you some insight of what Sherwood can do if you have a previous Ventana and how it fits to the new frame.

The stock Ciclons will match up pretty close on the reach from what I understand. However, I'm not sure if the other bikes have a 1:1 match-up.

The 15" X-5 I have does not match up to the new 15" Ciclon. Because of this, I had to get a shorter reach to get where I want the sizing to be. I also told him the current stem length I'm running as well for the stack, and that should help make sure you get fitted to the right size.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Yep, I agree!

Not an insider, but...

All this worry about reach and fine tooth combing, You better be ordering a Ciclon Lance!
    -Aaron G.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Not an insider, but I can give you some insight of what Sherwood can do if you have a previous Ventana and how it fits to the new frame.

The stock Ciclons will match up pretty close on the reach from what I understand. However, I'm not sure if the other bikes have a 1:1 match-up.

The 15" X-5 I have does not match up to the new 15" Ciclon. Because of this, I had to get a shorter reach to get where I want the sizing to be. I also told him the current stem length I'm running as well for the stack, and that should help make sure you get fitted to the right size.
    Not true in every instance. For example, a 2007 Ciclon had a ETT of 25.0 in with a calculated reach of 17.55 in, my semi-custom Ciclon has a ETT of 25.5 in with a calulated reach of 18.05 in and 2011 Ciclon with a ETT 25.4 in with a reach of 18.11 in. What effects did those numbers have on my setup. Stock 2007 Ciclon set up with a 120mm stem and semi-custom with a 100mm stem....all else being equal.

I should state this is data I have created and not something I got from Sherwood. It was just to aid my own set up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast