mtbr member

Ventana vs. Yeti vs. Turner vs. Titus

Greetings. This may be a loaded question for this forum, but I would like some opinions (bring on the technical details!). I currently own a Trek Fuel 98 circa 2003. I am planning to purchase a new bike in the coming year and am considering a Yeti ASR, Turner Flux, Titus Racer-X/Moto-Lite, and Ventana El Saltamontes. I like my bike just fine, but it doesn't speak to me or really capture my imagination if you know what I mean. I'd like a bike from a smaller producer and I'd love something that is still made here in the US, though I know those are increasingly difficult to find (even amongst those listed above). I'd like a 4" travel bike for some racing, mostly 40+ mile endurance-type races, and a lot of trail riding here in the Midwest (though I race sometimes, I'm not a racer). I'm used to XC race geometry so I'd like to stick to something in that ballpark---it's not as though we have a lot of monster downhills, drops, etc in the flatlands. More than 4" travel would be a waste here. I weigh 180lbs with gear but tend not to beat up my equipment.

My specific concerns are climbing efficiency, comfort on long rides, and overall mojo of the ride in tight singletrack. Full disclosure: I'm a bit of a weight weenie for no good reason.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Definitely NOT a Ventana.

LOL....

Seriously, you post in each forum, then expect everyone to respond with why to buy that brand? Why not just one thread and let those that find it...find it, and take it at that.

If you want to stay american, buy a turner or ventana. other than that, the other factors are personal preference and setup issues.

good luck, and post pics of that beautiful ventana you buy!

mtbr member
    Yeah, sorry. Couldn't figure out how to do a cross-post to each of the forums. Suppose I could have posted under 'General'....

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I would say demo all the frames you're considering and make a decision based what one meets your needs.....Both Ventana and Titus have custom programs that will build a frame to your likings......IMO, Ventana will do that more cost effectively unless you want Titanium.

Captain Underpants
    Easy . . . Buy a Trek.

Hard to beat the Flux for the type of riding you do. I loved mine, but had to jump to the larger wheels. As mentioned by others, do some demos and decide then.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You might/might not be able to demo those thru Competitve Cyclist. They do have demo bikes and are quite reasonably priced (relative to what you will end up dropping on an entire build).

ask yourself what u don't like on your trek & what you want in your next bike?

sexy welds? quad bearings for a solid rear triangle? great CS? then look at Ventana.
    If you don't like bearings & want great CS, then Turner.
    If you want a climbing bike.. maybe include some VPP bikes.
    I rode an Intense and switched to Ventana for the reasons above.. and I decided I could let go of some climbing characteristics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    demo demo demo.
    ride fast...take chances...