Team Hardcore Cornbread

Ventana at Vision Quest

This was my first year running my new El Ciclon for the Vison Quest in the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, CA. In 2006 I rode the shorter version event, the Counting Coup, on my Salty and then again in 2007 for the Vison Quest. I absolutely loved how the El Ciclon handled all day. I got the weight down to right at 28lbs which I felt was a solid weight for this event. More than anything I got my fat azz down about 12 lbs which helped more than slimming down the bike. I trained for months running heavy 2.35 Nevegals on front which really added weight.

I saw a handful of other Ventanas out there. I know Zippo was out there running his rigid El Comandante. I never had a chance to say hi because he zipped by me early on at the first climb. I never saw him the rest of the day so I never had the chance to meet. I rode a while with another rider on a X-5 sporting a Ventana jersey. We were both together on the fun technical decents of lower Holy Jim trail. I know many would say 28lbs is a lot of bike to push up 11,000 feet but I say the whole reason I do this ride is to hit 3 of the best techical single tracks in all of Southern California all in one day. Sure I was passed a few times on some of the ups but on the downs it was a different story. The El Ciclon craves the techy single track here in So Cal and I loved it. Sanjay, a local down hiller, rode the event "rogue" on his custom Path El Ciclon with no small chain ring and finished at around 8:49. We shared an Old Chubb at the finish line. Me, I came in at 8:39 just missing my goal of 8:00. Oh well, something to shoot for in 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice work man!
    Thanks for the ride report and pics.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Well done, Paul!

Cheers!

✭✭✭
    Nicely done Paul! Next time we'll get the Ventanas together! My rr's on STR...
    merely a flesh wound

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good to meet you out there, Paul. I was the guy on the X-5 w/ the Ventana jersey. Apologies if I slowed you down on lower HJ--didn't realize you were right there at that last water crossing 'til you flew by, then were gone! I came in right at 9 hrs. and a few seconds, and couldn't be happier about it

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladd Jasper
    Good to meet you out there, Paul. I was the guy on the X-5 w/ the Ventana jersey. Apologies if I slowed you down on lower HJ--didn't realize you were right there at that last water crossing 'til you flew by, then were gone! I came in right at 9 hrs. and a few seconds, and couldn't be happier about it
    Congratulations on the finish. I was a bit anti-social out there. I rode with an Ipod for the first time ever and it put me in a good place. See you on the trails.

Next year, we all wear Ventana jerseys!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Nice work man!
    Thanks for the ride report and pics.
    CZ,
    My playlist for the whole 8.39 hours was live Phish in honor of the boyz playing again. I know you would appreciate that.

Team Fearless Descender
    Great job Paul. I was looking at pix posted here and there, and was trying to put names or screen names of Ventana riders, with faces. I knew a couple... Dale, Sanjay...

The VQ or CC are both monsters (I know this, and I've never attempted either)! Big time congratulations.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Members who have read this thread: 0