mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ventana reconditioning?

So who's sent their frame in to be repainted/reconditioned? My El Rey is in great shape but I guess I'm getting the winter boredoms already and can help but wonder how my bike would look with a fresh paint job. Anyone done this?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I had two done. Both came back looking like brand new frames. Here're some post refurb pics...

Ventana reconditioning?-ciclon-9.jpg

El-Rey-Frame-2.jpg

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Killrop
    So who's sent their frame in to be repainted/reconditioned? My El Rey is in great shape but I guess I'm getting the winter boredoms already and can help but wonder how my bike would look with a fresh paint job. Anyone done this?
    It's the cheapest way to bring back that spark.......just like the first ride.

Their are many folks that have changed their frame colors.............getting a new paint job is easier and sometimes cheaper then going to your beautician......plus you don't have to sit their listening to her/him beeeetch about life or sig other.

It's as easy as picking up the phone......call Ventana they will walk you through the steps. just don't pick blue or red.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Those look great! Do they do anything to the rear tri? I have plenty of scuffs.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure my TM was ever that shiny!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Not sure if they re-ball burnish or buff it, I think LC's were buffed out. I had mine painted so not sure. I also had them repair a crack (BB) and then add the longer Seattube and taco gusset. All of course add costs but so worth it. My Bruja was essentially brand new after 8 years of service.

Before (Grinch Green) and After (Shark Blue).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ventana reconditioning?-grinchmtbr.jpg  

Ventana reconditioning?-shblumtbr.jpg  

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I bought the El Rey used and the frames finish was in pretty bad shape especially the stays. Ventana painted, restickered, installed new bearings and attached a new headbadge. I buffed the stays with Mother's polish. It took maybe 20 minutes and looked nearly new afterwards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Similarly, I sent our ECdM in for a repair of a BB crack and a new color was included in the price. I didn't get the memo, so I went with red.

Once I got it back, I had to check the serial number to make sure it was the same frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ventana reconditioning?-img_2816.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine
    Similarly, I sent our ECdM in for a repair of a BB crack and a new color was included in the price. I didn't get the memo, so I went with red.

Once I got it back, I had to check the serial number to make sure it was the same frame.
    What color is that specifically?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ferrari Red, from the 650 bikes

No known cure
    I refurbished the stays, rockers and shock with a new front triangle. The color is Corvette Yellow with dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ventana reconditioning?-ag_048.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

Team Chilidog!
    I love the Ventana colors... soooo purty. Might do a refurb on El Tigre, but definitely changing the color (had a blue X-5 for 5 years). Thinking of adding ISCG tabs and an extra bossing for the GD to clean up the cables while it's there.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I know its a taboo question, but what does the refurb cost? Thinking just a paint job.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    I know its a taboo question, but what does the refurb cost? Thinking just a paint job.
    one trillion dollarrrrrrs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not taboo, but just much simpler to call Ventana and ask. I could tell you what it cost me, but we had repair work done, and it's a tandem frame.

Team Chilidog!
    I didn't ask for a price list--just for stuff I want done So it depends on what you have done.

Paint-- no heat treating.
    Mods to frame -- heat treating, which is an extra step, so that's more costs.
    Repairs to frame -- also heat treating, but may be different.

Probably depends on your type of frame and how much work needs to be done. I would think a hardtail would be cheaper than a FS, but I could be wrong.

MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Funny seeing you on this forum Dave. Didn't know you ride.

Chuck