mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ventana rear suspension design

Just have a question about the design. Is the suspension design the same as Turner (TNT)? Is it Sherwood's own patented design? I haven't ridden the bike, considering buying one and am curious. I know it works well, Ventana can't have as good of a reputation as they have with a design that doesn't work well. Just curious where the design came from, I've search all over and can't find anything. Asking the forum became my last choice. Can't test ride the bike in my area, need to travel about 2 hours to a shop for a test ride. The impecable attention to detail has lured me to Ventana bikes, they look incredible! I'm interested in the El Ciclon. Thanks for your response(s).

No, that's not phonetic
    Pivot placements have a large effect on the feel of the suspension. The Ventana main pivots (near the bottom bracket) tend to be lower and more rearward (but mostly lower) than those on Turners. The rocker geometry also plays a role in the linkage characteristics driving the shock. The fact that both share the rear-end pivot above the wheel axle is the least important feature of the whole suspension design when comparing the two.

This thread has some interesting info from Darren @ Push who knows his chit.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Powered by ice cream.
    It comes from Sherwood's head.

In all your searching I hope that you found and read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ventana rear suspension

Yes I read everything on Ventana's homepage Captain Abvious
    With all the internet searching I came across this that got me thinking the suspension design was possibly similar to a Turner, I realize it's talking about a Tandem, and is old information, but still interesting. Just thought I'd ask the forum and see what the consensus is/was...

"This background information brings us to the subject of the review, our El Conquistador de Montaņas. As I previously mentioned, Sherwood Gibson owns Ventana and both names have long been synonymous with high performance MTB frames. Now, while tandem MTBs have been around for quite a while, the full suspension variety really didn't have a formal debut until 1993 when Sherwood Gibson & Dave Tuner of Turner Suspension Bicycles built one for Interbike '93 to showcase their new Turner F/S bike's active rear suspension system. To quote Sherwood, "We definitely blew people's minds away with that bike!" Sherwood successfully campaigned that first F/S tandem through the next two years, racking up 23 1st place tandem class finishes out of 25 starts! During those years Sherwood also designed the first Ventana Marble Peak F/S frame that, time and again, has been recognized by mountain biking industry writers, testers, racers and consumers as one of the top five mountain bike frames of all time. The El Conquistador de Montaņas was created around the Marble Peak's MFS rear suspension design shortly thereafter and, to the best of my knowledge, became the first 'production' F/S tandem MTB. Since then, Sherwood has turned out over 300 of the hand built El Conquistadors."

Anyways, I'll call Sherwood and get the real answer, Here's a good link if anybody is interested in Ventana bikes.

Thanks for the feedback and happy riding!

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by otg42
    <<<<>>>>>>

Thanks for the feedback and happy riding!

Yes indeed. Happy riding on a Ventana! So looking forward to a few hours in the dirt tomorrow after the week I've had. UGH!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    I can comment on Ventana "Faux bar" vs Horstlink as I own both.

My Ventana Salty rides as efficiently as my Titus ML.

In fact I think the Salty climbs better and is more supple.

Titus is better with open setting and out of saddle (does not break traction uphill).

No brake jack on Ventana, in fact I think Titus locks up more in rear, can't explain science on this but thats what I feel.

Oh yea....quality of AL frames no comparison on finish Ventana rocks!

Oh yea....more comments on Ventana on trail as well if that counts!

After all this Ventana advocating....I ride Titus more as its a better frame fit for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just have a question about the design. Is the suspension design the same as Turner (TNT)? Is it Sherwood's own patented design?
    In concept, yes it's the same. Both are effectively single pivot designs with linkage actuated shocks. Rudely nicknamed "faux bar" by some "Horst Link" officionados. Sherwood has never bothered to make up a marketing speak acronym for his suspension designs. We UK riders, led by ajr, suggested he called it "NOBSS" (no ******** suspension)

Sherwood believes in simple, practical design, structural integrity and highest quality materials and construction. A timeless formula for success. Works for me anyway.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    . . . Here's a good link if anybody is interested in Ventana bikes.
    That was a GREAT link! Thank you. I already have an El Salt and am now waiting on an El Toro to arrive. I appreciate my bikes all the more now.

mtbr member

different feel, both fun

I've ridden a 4" El Salt with a 5" fork and my 5 Spot and they had a very different ride feel. The main differences I felt was that the Salty felt faster on the flats and moderate climbs, very much the same as the Spot on the DH and slower on the very steep 95%+ climbs where my peddal form got sloppy and it bobbed. The salty stroke starts very soft giving it a smooth ride over small bumps but still only used 1/2 to 2/3 of the shock stroke even on the biggest hits so even with less travel the bike had a softer bottom out feel but ran out of travel more often than the Spot.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Sherwood has never bothered to make up a marketing speak acronym for his suspension designs.
    Well, there was "FS2" back in the day.

"FS2 Technology
    So, what's this? Just rag talk?
    Not at all. It's our shorthand for some awesome frame design. We're bike designers. Our craft and craftsmanship make Ventana a lifetime buy."

D.