The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

El Padrino

Here is my commute bike.....doing it 29er style
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    are the hardtails good ?

are they built for speed or comfort ?

I much prefer steel as a material for hardtails - love that ghost green colour btw

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    are the hardtails good ?
    ummmm yeah. Very much so.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=justa]

are they built for speed or comfort ?

you can comfortably get speed on these steeds.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I refer to my earlier statement.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock

I've ridden a lot of bikes, but my two HT Ventanas are the best handling bikes I have ever had the pleasure of riding.

Sherwood definitely knows suspension, but he also knows how to build the best HT, period.

D.

Fast and comfortable. The steel frames I've previously owned/ridden were more harsh that either of my Ventana HTs.

YMMV,
    D.

mtbr member

love them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Very nice. I noticed your der. hanger is not the bottle opener, did you have difficulty removing it?

mtbr member

Not too bad

It was pretty easy to get off, the heads of the flat head screws were filled with paint and i couldnt get them loose so i just drilled them out and used the new screws from the hanger. I switch to a 1x9 setup once and awhile for a change.

mtbr member

wife's padrino

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    no offense, but the steel is real mantra is reserved for the 29er forum or other forums where generalizations are overstated on a regular basis.....i am always shocked when the most important parameter (implementation) is bypassed.......ANY material can be made to ride like crap, period, or vice versa......i have had many hardtails and my ventana is BY FAR the best technical riding (where if the chupacabra of supposed compliance was a problem, i would notice) hardtail i have owned, period.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    no offense, but the steel is real mantra is reserved for the 29er forum or other forums where generalizations are overstated on a regular basis.....i am always shocked when the most important parameter (implementation) is bypassed.......ANY material can be made to ride like crap, period, or vice versa......i have had many hardtails and my ventana is BY FAR the best technical riding (where if the chupacabra of supposed compliance was a problem, i would notice) hardtail i have owned, period.
    I agree with most of what you say - steel isn't magical....

but the On-One 456 that I had was better than any other hardtail I've tried - the back end has got so much spring in it it feels like your running a much fatter tyre...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    I agree with most of what you say - steel isn't magical....

but the On-One 456 that I had was better than any other hardtail I've tried - the back end has got so much spring in it it feels like your running a much fatter tyre...
    damn! you are not supposed to agree with ANYTHING i say you will ruin my rep!

yeah, On One makes great bike I know, I used to have one. The On One Inbred 29er I had was my "second" favorite hardtail. Was a fantastic bike, but the Comandante is better IMHO....I know...I know, subjective opinion and yeah I am a Ventana guy, but I really believe the Comandante is implemented so well that it is the bike to beat. I have also owned Scandium (which I like) and own a Ti hardtail if it matters.....but ultimately, its just my opinion but i stand behind it

Bring it.

Hardtail

Courtesy of Velo City, the white bike that I really like:

Click here

The thing works great, climbing is it's strong suit but I never notice the lack of rear suspension when I ride it.
    It's a custom frame but regular old geometry and it fits me perfectly.
    Great testament to Ventana rideability.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by fattfreddie
    Courtesy of Velo City, the white bike that I really like:

Click here

The thing works great, climbing is it's strong suit but I never notice the lack of rear suspension when I ride it.
    It's a custom frame but regular old geometry and it fits me perfectly.
    Great testament to Ventana rideability.
    Freddie, this is a rather disappointing post, compared to previous contribution
    beaver hunt

Bring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Freddie, this is a rather disappointing post, compared to previous contribution
    LOL sorry life has gotten in the way of my photographic exploits.
    If you'd like, send some chicks over to my house and I'll take pictures of them

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Compare and Contrast

I'm starting to think about building up a 29" geared hardtail for XC racing and I was thinking about an El Padrino or an Niner Air 9. Has anyone ridden both of them? Geometry-wise it looks like the Air 9 is going to be faster handling. Is this the case? How does the El Padrino handle compared to an El Rey?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I'm starting to think about building up a 29" geared hardtail for XC racing and I was thinking about an El Padrino or an Niner Air 9. Has anyone ridden both of them? Geometry-wise it looks like the Air 9 is going to be faster handling. Is this the case? How does the El Padrino handle compared to an El Rey?
    2TNE.....I have not had/ridden an Air 9 but did own a Ninerbikes One 9 (single speed version) and while I dont own a geard Padrino, I do own a Comandante SS version. I do have to say, the geo on the Ninerbikes, IMHO, is perfectly suited for XC racing. Having said that, I do not consider the bikes in the same class in terms of implementatin quality at all. The Ventana too could be raced of course but on paper, though ultimately its subjective in terms of what you prefer, the Ninerbikes geo is great for XC stuff. My Comandante BLOWS away any hardtail I have ever ridden/owned.....of the 3 29er hardtails and 1 29er softtail I have owned there is just NO comparison when the going gets rought/techy....it would blow you away how psick the comandante/padrino is in techy stuff where the stability rules.

Tough call.......both are good, shockingly when you think about what you are getting, the Ninerbikes is not much cheaper at all for an overseas bike....your call.

If my azz wasnt so busy I could bring my Comandante and El Rey out to the SB and you could at least try them...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, Fo. Being the Turner fan (and part time homer) I am, I'm looking for the 'neutral' feeling (not too hot, not too cold) that keeps me buying Turner after Turner. I'm getting the idea from your comments that the Ventanas have that in spades.

One other question: Has anyone bought either a) an El Padrino with an EBB? or b) An El Comandante with braze-ons for shifter cables? I like the idea of being able to go from geared to SS without having to add silly tensioning widgets.