mtbr member
    May 2004

The Ventana forum needs some more action!

And since I've been lurking for a solid 10 years or so I figured I'd participate a little.

Just finished building my Zeus, I finally traded my beloved and very well traveled '96 el Habanero in and couldn't be happier.

Solid, sometimes frustrating (bloody rear derailleur cable routing took me some time to be happy with!), time consuming, expensive and fun build. I'm no bike mechanic but took my time and think I have everything dialed in pretty well at this point. Just gotta rebleed my rear brake again!

I added a north shore billet rock guard / spider for the xx1 cranks which puts me a little more at ease. I'm in the US northeast and chainrings tend to get abused a good amount where I am. Next purchase will be some boots for the cranks and then a dropper post when I have the funds.

Crossing my fingers for less rain and more time to ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Ventana forum needs some more action!-a5ks.jpg  

The Ventana forum needs some more action!-v57l.jpg  

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Welcome to the club, nice Zeus!! But I think you are under braked! (Sarcasm)
    and you are right, Board is way too quiet! Hopefully it picks up around here!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    But I think you are under braked...

Aaron, I've heard you tell me that about BOTH of my "V's"!

Goblin, beautiful ride you've got there. Don't listen to Ciclistagonzo (we know he's kidding, and so am I), he doesn't understand that in order to go fast, you have to be able to stop!

Congrats on your new ride. Ole!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Aaron, I've heard you tell me that about BOTH of my "V's"!

Goblin, beautiful ride you've got there. Don't listen to Ciclistagonzo (we know he's kidding, and so am I), he doesn't understand that in order to go fast, you have to be able to stop!

Congrats on your new ride. Ole!
    I tell you that, cuz I've ridden with you.. You'd get by on 140mm discs!
    Kidding aside... See my avatar pic.....
    -Aaron G.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Nice! Love the blue. Would love to hear how you like the bike in the 140mm rear travel mode. I have never switched my Zeus to 140. Have fun.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi and thanks for the welcome / compliments / uhm...subtle critiques

Yep they are some big brakes but I wanted Hope and the deal I got on the set / rotors was too hard to pass up! It may be a little much but they definitely work, work well and I can go down to 160 on the front at some point if I feel the need heh.

I'm loving the bike so far, 140 in back feels enough for the riding I'm doing at the moment and matches well with the pike set at 140 or so. I might be tempted to switch out the CTD with a Monarch down the road but I'll see how she feels after a season of riding. I'll definitely switch to 160 soon once I get a good feel for the bike and once all the wrinkles are ironed out. I'm looking forward to a trip to a bike park for some bigger bike action!
    I've had a pivot bolt on the NDS by the bottom bracket work loose and want to make sure I have the internal cable housing set so I needn't worry about friction damage. A couple other small details to work out and I'll be looking good. The bigger wheels and (much longer/better quality) travel took a little getting used to but the learning curve wasn't too steep.
    The colour wasn't quite what I was expecting but pretty damn close and in person it's pretty awesome.

So yeah, very happy camper am I.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I added a north shore billet rock guard / spider for the xx1 cranks which puts me a little more at ease. I'm in the US northeast and chainrings tend to get abused a good amount where I am. Next purchase will be some boots for the cranks and then a dropper post when I have the funds.
    Looking good. Very nice.

Old tubes work well for protecting cranks if you need to. Pedal off and thread a smaller tube over the crank arm. Has worked OK for me for rare shuttling duties.

I'm not sold on the internal routing for brakes. Bleeding brakes is a PITA at the best of times.

CEO Product Failure
    Gorgeous bike.

Ultra Ventanaphile

The Ventana forum needs some more action!

Goblin- no critique intended, love my M4's as well!

JohnU- I guess I haven't had the same experience as most. I don't have internal routing yet, but I've had to bleed three brakes sets at home. Hope, Hayes and Avid. Only the Hayes were more difficult but certainly not PITA. The Avids with a bleed kit were super easy.
    -Aaron G.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Wonderful and beautiful bike!

ventanakaz
    Nice bike, welcome to ventana. I remember my first ventana I bought back in I think it was 93 or 95 it's hard to remember but it was a marble peak FS, and now I'm on my eighth bike from ventana...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Been rolling around my new El Cap for about 2 months now and love it...great bikes

The Ventana forum needs some more action!-ventana-el-cap-small.jpg