mtbr member

Ventana El Comandante sizing/geometry question HELP

Howdy Folks--

I'm interested in the el Comandante SS frame. However, I am having trouble figuring out the correct size I should buy...

A little background: I have always been more comfortable on a size LARGER than most folks think I should ride For instance, my SIR 9 was a size large and fit very well...my size medium EMD 9 fit terribly. I am 5'9". The EMD was way too short and compact feeling. I do not lik to feel cramped on my frames.

Anyhow, while looking at the geometry on the Ventana, something struck me as a bit odd. The size 18 was initially attractive to me...but upon closer inspection I found out that the top tube measurement was 23". WTF? That seems VERY short to me. So then I looked at the 20". That seemed a better fit for how I like my bikes to fit, but the top tube still seems a little short. (My Niner was 24.5" in the top tube, with an 18.5" seat tube).

Am I missing something? Does the relaxed head angle have something to do with the short top tube? Are the measurements accurate? Why does Ventana roll with the short top tube lengths?

So...knowing what you do about my height and frame size preferences, should I go with the 18" or the 20"?

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Ventana will also do a custom size for you.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just what I was thinking! That's one of the huge selling points of Ventana for me - I went the semi-custom route when I couldn't find just what I wanted with other makes. Since you have a clear idea about the dimensions you like, just get Sherwood to make it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Ventana will also do a custom size for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an el comandante and also got a semi-custom sizing. Mine is a 16/18 meaning a seat tube from the 16in and a top tube from the 18...Ventana can make completely custom sizing or a combination of two of there regularly sized frames. I love the way mine fits and was extremely impressed with the service I received when I called them. I suggest calling and asking questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0