mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ventana El Ciclon vs. Ellsworth Epiphany

Looking at purchasing either the Epiphany or El Ciclon. I'm a downhiller at heart that is getting a bit older and more into long backcountry rides. Want something that I can bomb on but will also climb well...with that I've narrowed it down to these two. Also, anyone 5'7", ~180, w/ a 28" inseam riding either of these bikes? What size are you riding? Preference between the two? Thanks!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by iegge10
    Looking at purchasing either the Epiphany or El Ciclon. I'm a downhiller at heart that is getting a bit older and more into long backcountry rides. Want something that I can bomb on but will also climb well...with that I've narrowed it down to these two. Also, anyone 5'7", ~180, w/ a 28" inseam riding either of these bikes? What size are you riding? Preference between the two? Thanks!
    Grab a beer or 3 and sit down for some reading here on mtbr. Start looking closely at the reputations of these two companies for both frame durability and customer service/ethics/integrity and the choice will quickly become very clear. Get the Ventana.

28" inseam is a tough one though, neither is going to give you any standover clearance to speak of. You may need to consider going semi-custom with better clearance.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Based on those two I would get a Ventana hands down. Like Ventanarama said do some reading. take your time, and talk to each company as well. I don't own a bike from either company, but from everything I have read Ventana is an amazing company with amazing bikes. Based on the numbers I think the El Ciclon would fit you rstyle better as well.

WIth your 28" inseam the semi-custom might be the way to go. Ventana will do semi-custom or custom geometry on all frames. Just give them a call and discuss your needs.

If these are your top two choices thats great, but there are a couple other bikes out there in this same catagory.....check out the Knolly Endorphin, and the Turner 5.5 Spot.

Good luck. You really can't make a bad decision with any of these bikes. OUt of those four I would love to go the semi-custom on a Ventana some day.

Cheers,
    TG

CEO Product Failure
    I'm a ciclon pilot and gotta say that a lot of bikes will impress you with their climbing abilities once you've got the shocks dialed in. The Ciclon (and I'm sure there are others out there like this, though I've yet to ride them) is one of those bikes you kick yourself for not getting sooner.

The real surprise to the ciclon is when it gets pointed downward. A true thrill ride.

As for the other bike... (this space left intentionally blank).

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Grab a beer or 3 and sit down for some reading here on mtbr. Start looking closely at the reputations of these two companies for both frame durability and customer service/ethics/integrity and the choice will quickly become very clear. Get the Ventana.
    Like this nugget?

ELLSWORTH are you there???

CEO Product Failure

Listen! Not everyone has a "Teresa"

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Like this nugget?

ELLSWORTH are you there???
    That's all I'm saying. This is now OT, but comparing bikes is one thing, comparing customer service is quite another. Ventana's customer service start to finish and back to the start is rivaled by no other company in any other industry. Hands down, they have the best service, start to finish, from finish to warranty and back again. I can not emphasize this enough. Here's a colorfull analogy; Ventana's service is like a full service day-spa, by comparison, most other bike companies' service is like San Quentin or AbuGrab.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In this case, the difference between the two companies is night and day. One is like the Dalai Lama and the other is like OJ. Well, it's an extreme comparison but it's early and my mind isn't working too clearly.

The difference between the bikes isn't as extreme though the stiffness difference is huge and the Ciclon is going to be far less twitchy-feeling and significantly more stable.

Support the Dalai Lama; not OJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I might be able to help

I've owned both - swapped my Epiphany for an El Ciclon

I'm in England and don't have the same (dare I say biased!) opinion of Ellsworth as others on here - I'm only concerned with the product....

And the Epiphany is a damn fine bike - silly light, fast and handles like a dream - you just think it around corners. Build quality is excellent, the anodized paint was tough as old boots and the finish was superb.

It really did make me realise that not all bikes are the same !

Why did I sell ? Dunno really - I like swapping bikes I suppose - it is a bit flexi at the rear end but I never really noticed it to much - certainly never slowed me down or effected my enjoyment of riding it.

Mind you the person who I sold it too snapped one of the rocker arms....

Now to this which I still own...

As you can tell I really really liked the Epiphany ........but.................

The El Ciclon is better in almost every way - a wonderful buying experience from Alan here in the UK and like joining an enlarged family !

It climbs brilliantly and descends even better - its a bit heavier (almost a pound) but its sooooooo much more confidence inspiring - again it thinks itself around corners and always seems to have more in reserve.

Both will put a smile on your face but if you want my advice the El Ciclon is just better....

Hope that helps