Team Chilidog!

Ventana Derailleur Hangers, 1 X.0 Rear Derailleur 0.

Today, I went riding on a non-technical trail here. The entrance trail is .4 miles and goes up 500 feet. During that time, I'm granny gearing it on the up, and on a flatter section, I switch to a harder gear.

When it gets steeper again, I make the gearing all granny, then I hear *CRUNCH*. I unclip, checking the chain to see if it was chain suck.

Instead, I see the lower part of my rear derailleur on a part of the chain it shouldn't have been. The chain had a stiff link, and it got narfed in the derailleur during downshift. Oops.

Lesson learned: don't buy anymore carbon derailleurs. It was replaced with an X.9. I only went with the X.0 because it's medium cage, and I run two chainrings up front. Silly me.

My derailleur hanger was trashed, but what amazed me is how it wasn't broken, but bent 45 degrees. It's really amazing how solid this piece of metal is, and I can't imagine the force it took to bend the bloody thing.

(Derailleur broke at the cage and the inner pulley, no pics of that. With the derailleur less than a year old, and me not using my bike for months, the LBS is going to try to warranty it).

But daaaang, I can't believe that the hanger didn't snap. No cracks either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

desert dweller
    I did the same thing with a nearly new X9 derailleur on the TRT trail this past summer. It only had about 120 miles on it or so. I've gone back to Shimano on my Salty. SRAM stuff still makes me nervous (granted I still have 9.0SL on my Mantis though).

mbb

Feeding your addiction
    Why are they trying to warranty it? If it was caused by a stiff link in the chain then it's clearly not a warranty issue. If you broke the carbon cage then you would have most likely bent an aluminum cage too, so that likely doesn't matter. You can also replace the cage on the X.0.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Why are they trying to warranty it? If it was caused by a stiff link in the chain then it's clearly not a warranty issue. If you broke the carbon cage then you would have most likely bent an aluminum cage too, so that likely doesn't matter. You can also replace the cage on the X.0.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

Ahhhhh come on Larry. Tis the Season...to blame others and make them pay. Scream Warranty sucka, it's Christmas afterall.

Sheeesh Larry, didn't think you were such a Bah-Humbug sort of guy?

Have a good one guys, relax I was only kidding Larry.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Why are they trying to warranty it? If it was caused by a stiff link in the chain then it's clearly not a warranty issue.
    That's what I was wondering.

If you broke the carbon cage then you would have most likely bent an aluminum cage too, so that likely doesn't matter. You can also replace the cage on the X.0.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Seems like the real lesson learned is to check and lube the chain before each ride which, knowing Anne, I think she does. If so, the real culprit is the chain; its manufacturer is the one that needs to be contacted.
    Last edited by SVSocrates; 12-24-2007 at 06:09 PM.

desert dweller
    Okay, why did I jump in to this thread! Stup!d, Stup!d, Stup!d!!!!!!! I smacked a rock on my new XT shadow rear and bent the hanger on our X-Mas eve ride. It looks like the derailleur is toast as well (it is straight --but opposite of the normal way and locks up the rear wheel). That is two derailleurs this year after retiring my 8 year old 8 speed XTR in June.

At least my wife hooked me up with 5" rockers though.

mbb

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    That's what I was wondering.

Seems like the real lesson learned is to check and lube the chain before each ride which, knowing Anne, I think she does. If so, the real culprit is the chain; its manufacturer is the one that needs to be contacted.
    Because the rear derailleur was less than a year old. They offered, I'll definitely take 'em up on it.

I do check my chainand my headset and my tires (and you get the point what else) every ride. I'm not sure what would have caused the stiff link, and if I overlooked it, I've learned my lesson.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member

Ventana Hanger 0, X.0 Derailleur 0

While slowriding waiting for another rider a rock gave my X.9 a shove and the spokes did the rest. Ventana Hanger 0, X.0 Derailleur 0. At least my wheel wasn't damaged.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cglasel/Busted