mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Ventana as a 650B FS bike

Does anybody run a Ventana as a 650B FS. I have converted my hardtail into a 650 and love it. Right now I have a spark that i was going to converet but the tire clearance is just to close for my taste.

I am looking for a 4in travel. Saw the El Chucho is 120mm travel.

Checked the geos and it looks like the El Saltamontes has the same chain stay length as the El Chucho. Wich is 17 inches. Does any body feel this would be a decent length to be able to run a 2.2 tire or even a 2.1
    Broadway Bikes: Grease Monkey/Sales/you name it, we do it

Rubber side down is never bad!

Proud lame eBiker
    Why not get an El Bastardo? 650 wheels. Full suspension frame.

http://ventanausa.com/frame_elbastardo.html
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yes i noticed that after i posted later on that night. The El Bastardo would be the choice to go with.

Going to call tomorrow and talk to them about it. Because I am totally a fan of the 650b wheel size. even though i can ride a 29er i like the 650 b/c i can still maintain that aggressive postioning that i like.

talked to a guy at the Pain on the PLains race today in Canyon, Tx. He said that Ventana would be able to switch out the rockers for me or even i could just order them and do my self.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chwesley
    yes i noticed that after i posted later on that night. The El Bastardo would be the choice to go with.

Going to call tomorrow and talk to them about it. Because I am totally a fan of the 650b wheel size. even though i can ride a 29er i like the 650 b/c i can still maintain that aggressive postioning that i like.

talked to a guy at the Pain on the PLains race today in Canyon, Tx. He said that Ventana would be able to switch out the rockers for me or even i could just order them and do my self.
    Yeah, I think you are dead on - get a 650b for better wheel size/object approach angle and don't suffer the frame constraints of 29r (um, steep HA).

The bastardo looks to be the bike...I might have purchased that over the Terremoto if it were out at the time.

Although many here have/do run multiple rocker setups, I found that SG's bikes ride best in the stock conflaguration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    would anybody know the frame weight??

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by chwesley
    would anybody know the frame weight??
    Should be about the same as the ciclon, (same tubing) 6.75 -7.5#'s or so? I only have my Salty for reference and that was 6.85#
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Start searching under "Bastardo" and you'll find lots of references, including my opinions on mine (2nd summer season on it now ending)... Let's assume I won the lottery and could by any bike at any price... It would be exactly what I own, except maybe the '09/'10 model

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm running a 650b converted El Rey with 4 inch rear and a 120mm Manitou minute 29er front (A-2-C of 530mm)...going by the figures this is pretty much the same geo as the standard bastardo but with less travel, less trail and a tiny bit longer swing arm (believe me, for climbing it all helps).
    I find that I've not had any issues on BC trails (local Kamloops, Whistler (Kill me, thrill me; comfortably numb, etc) and Rossland seven summits) with such 'limited' travel and longer back end. I do agree with some of the posts though with regards that fact it would be nicer to have a slightly shallower head angle, especially with our 'straight up, straight down' trails. My converted Ragley is much slacker and on the downs it is ridiculous (I'm thinking of a custom Ventana to mitigate this, as for slow techy descents you don't need lots of travel but instead a solid, slacker HA frame).
    Overall though, the Ventana design rocks with it's simple but effective design and solid handling. And if it's any consolation, I've recently been lucky to ride the Ventana back to back for extended rides with a prototype Banshee Spitfire (26er, very slack VPP design) and an Opus (another Canadian VPP design) - I still prefer the Ventana!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

PNW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Needs a set of Truvativ Noir Reds to finish it off

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW
    Needs a set of Truvativ Noir Reds to finish it off
    I was thinking of getting some custom rockers made and anodized red!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    can a standard el saltamontes 26" swingarm accept a 650B wheel ?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monk
    can a standard el saltamontes 26" swingarm accept a 650B wheel ?
    No.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."