mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Used El Saltamentes price ok?

Not sure this will work, trying to post a question I put in the bike and frame forum. Appreciate any advice you have for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmviss View Post
    Hi all, noob here. Just getting into MTB. My friend has an El Saltamontes for sale. It's about 8 years old, but has very few miles. It fits me well. Lots of upgrades he says, but I don't know much about them. Xtr cranks and derailers. Here are some pix if it helps. Hmm, how to post pics in Tapatalk?

Does $2000 sound reasonable?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dmviss View Post
    Posting pics
    Pics

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I'm biased as hell and love Ventana's but that sounds a bit high to me. Ventana frames have a protected value to them. Since they have the trade-in program that lets you turn in your old frame for a 30% discount on a new frame (Owner Appreciation Trade-In Program | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA) any V frame has an inheret value of around $600 dollars. Given that, the frame is worth $600, he's asking for 1400 for the rest of the parts. I can get a LOT of new parts for 1400 and be of this generetion technology etc. Also, I noticed the rockers are the 5" variety and the Nixon looks to be 140mm. So it's not stock set up. I have an '08 Salty and think it's best run with 110-120mm upfront and the 100mm or 110mm option rear.

I understand where you buddy might be coming from though. Back in it's day, that bike probably cost him a small fortune and so he probably went with 50% of what he paid. But that was close to 10 years ago. There are 1-2 years old bikes (of any maker) in the want ads that are at 50% of MSRP.

It's still a great bike and the fact it fits well is good to, just negotiate the price to better suit the reality. Or at least IMHO.
    Hopefully others will chime in if their opinions differ in my assesment. Heck, I hope they do and say it's worth every penny as it will only increase the value of my own rides!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Chilidog!
    That's way high. Most used Ventanas in the previous generation (not the current implemention of the Salt) sell for around $1200 to $1400 here and at Pinkbike.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I couldn't agree more. I have had people offer me cash for old V frames and I always say its at least $600 to me. Old parts are old parts no matter XTR or not. There is a reason I have a garage of bikes I never sold. You know how much you have in and how much they are really now worth. Offer him $700 to $800.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Thanks all! You have given me some good bargaining info. Appreciate it very much!