Thread: Upgrade Flu

aka Willy Vanilly

Idea! Upgrade Flu

Hey guys,
    So I'm wondering what your opinions are of the newer model X-5's. Seems most people are opting for the Ciclon nowadays but I really like the extra standover that I have with my 2004 X-5.

Basically, I think it comes down to this: other than the HTA change (which I'm aware of and keen on) what changes have been made to the X-5 over the last couple years? How do they change handling and such? How about weight? Dropped? Increased? I'm 150 pounds with all my gear so would dropping a little weight from the frame to go to a Ciclon be worth it?

I'm quite happy with my current X-5 but I've always wanted to try out a bike with a slacker head tube angle in the steeps and in the more tech stuff. All the parts (probably including the shock) from my current ride would be going over so we're pretty much talking a frame to frame difference. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Hey guys,
    So I'm wondering what your opinions are of the newer model X-5's. Seems most people are opting for the Ciclon nowadays but I really like the extra standover that I have with my 2004 X-5.

Basically, I think it comes down to this: other than the HTA change (which I'm aware of and keen on) what changes have been made to the X-5 over the last couple years? How do they change handling and such? How about weight? Dropped? Increased? I'm 150 pounds with all my gear so would dropping a little weight from the frame to go to a Ciclon be worth it?

I'm quite happy with my current X-5 but I've always wanted to try out a bike with a slacker head tube angle in the steeps and in the more tech stuff. All the parts (probably including the shock) from my current ride would be going over so we're pretty much talking a frame to frame difference. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys.
    I felt that way about my 2006 X-5, even though it's not as steep of an HA as the 2004. I'm now riding an X-5 with a slacker head angle, and I'm really happy about it
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

aka Willy Vanilly
    Hey Stripes,
    Is there anything you miss about the old frame? Any regrets whatsoever with the frame swap?

Will I get more replies if I include a picture???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by will8250; 02-22-2008 at 10:06 AM.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Team Chilidog!
    Hey Stripes,
    Is there anything you miss about the old frame? Any regrets whatsoever with the frame swap?
    Since my frame is semi-custom, no. I like the slacker head angle, and I had mine built around at particular fork (Pike 454 Air), and now I'm running an adjustable travel fork with longer travel (Lyrik coil, usually at 145mm), and I'm quite happy with it.

That may be another option: think of what you like about your current bike and see what Sherwood can do in a semi-custom frame for ya
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So, a couple of changes have been made, not just the HA. The shock mount on the ST has been moved from the back to the front, which slightly changes the curve on the rear suspension.
    I know what you mean about SO on the X-5, I did love that aspect of mine. I switched to the TM, which was a dadgum tough call, especially given my normal legs and the SO. It hasn't cost me dearly yet, and really don't see it being a problem.
    On the other hand, I did go with the green that you have enjoyed...are you going for the grinch again?

aka Willy Vanilly
    Definitely going for the grinch green. It's like... totally the best color ever!

I don't think I'll ever out ride the X-5 so going to the TM would be overkill for me (although I bet it would be a blast through the rocks and in the steeps). I do love my standover though. Especially coming off an E-word Truth that reminded me every single time I got off the bike.

Why did you switch over Zero?

What geo tweaks did you make to your X-5 Stripes?

Thanks for the opinions!
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    If the X-5 is meeting all your needs then why upgrade! for the sake of spending money? The only reason I sold my 2004 X-5 was I wanted to be able to carry a water bottle....one I could reach while riding. I agree Grinch Green rules....right next to Army Green.

If you need to spend money.......I would upgrade the rear shock to CCDB, RP23, or DHX Coil. Then you would be set.......
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 02-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    If the X-5 is meeting all your needs then why upgrade! for the sake of spending money? The only reason I sold my 2004 X-5 was I wanted to be able to carry a water bottle....one I could reach while riding. I agree Grinch Green rules....right next to Army Green.
    agreed. Buying parts/bikes for the sake of buying parts/bikes is very irresponsible. More people should learn to be happy with what they have.

Bodhisattva
    I'd hold out for El Bastardo. 650b is certain to crush those other inferior wheel sizes.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why did you switch over Zero?
    Frame cracked.
    I was running the X with 6" rockers and a DHX, so it was a no brainer to upgrade when I had the opportunity. Now, SG knows how to make a bike feel right - the X in 6" was fun but just too high, being on a bike that is designed to ride in this amount of travel has made a big difference, especially on climbs (those things to earn the downs).

aka Willy Vanilly
    Good point.

I've always wanted to have a slacker bike. I had a little hardtail for a while with a 68HTA and loved it. I haven't upgraded a single part on that bike for more than a year now and thought I'd try out something new. That and not really being able to run any of the piggyback shocks on the current model is a bummer.

FoShizzle, if I remember correctly (based on your "numerous" upgrade pictures), you seem to buy parts like a teenage girl buys shoes...or have your habits since changed?
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be very interested in the El Bastardo. I did find the 2004 X-5 to be a fanastic bike with only the steep headangle letting it down. It was a handful in the slow, techy, stuff if I wasn't light on the bars and watching every trail feature carefully. That's hard to do when one is fatigued and basically resting on the bars a bit The 70 degree HA felt more like 71 degrees. I wish I had measured it.

Other than that, the X-5 was so well made and inspired confidence with how stiff it was and how well it tracked.

I prefer the Ciclon geo with a slightly lower BB and even slacker HA but now that the El bastardo is out, that would be the one I'd try. My second choice would be the Ciclon and third would be the El Rey. If I could get a custom X-5, I'd get it over the Ciclon simply because I like the way the X-5 looks and it is quite rare around here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's like... totally the best color ever!
    Agreed!