Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time for a new bike...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Eric B 
#1 ·
So, cleaning out my garage, selling some old bikes, and am thinking of building up a nice trail bike. In the past, I have owned a couple of Ciclons, a Saltamontes, and an El Rey. Loved all of them. Trying to decide which way to go. Any input? At this point, I am not really looking at a 29er (I have a Flash Carbon 29er, don't really need a FS one as well); more interested in either the Chucho, or the 650b Zeus. I have ridden neither. Any ideas? Although I loved the Ciclon (and the 5-spot which replaced it); I am not sure I could fully embrace 26" wheels. They just give up too much traction. Having owned plenty of 29ers though, I am not sure I want a bike that feels quite that big. Something a little more nimble seems in order. I almost purchased a 650b a few years ago, but the lack of available equipment kept me on the fence. It looks like the size will be more fully embraced going forward.

Anyone with input on the Chucho vs. the Zeus? I will probably be building it up around 30lbs or so, for a slightly bigger trail bike feel. The 21lb Flash Carbon 29er is the bike for local fast trails and (mostly smoother) 3-6 hour rides I like to do.

#2 ·
So, cleaning out my garage, selling some old bikes, and am thinking of building up a nice trail bike. In the past, I have owned a couple of Ciclons, a Saltamontes, and an El Rey. Loved all of them. Trying to decide which way to go. Any input? At this point, I am not really looking at a 29er (I have a Flash Carbon 29er, don't really need a FS one as well); more interested in either the Chucho, or the 650b Zeus. I have ridden neither. Any ideas? Although I loved the Ciclon (and the 5-spot which replaced it); I am not sure I could fully embrace 26" wheels. They just give up too much traction. Having owned plenty of 29ers though, I am not sure I want a bike that feels quite that big. Something a little more nimble seems in order. I almost purchased a 650b a few years ago, but the lack of available equipment kept me on the fence. It looks like the size will be more fully embraced going forward.

Anyone with input on the Chucho vs. the Zeus? I will probably be building it up around 30lbs or so, for a slightly bigger trail bike feel. The 21lb Flash Carbon 29er is the bike for local fast trails and (mostly smoother) 3-6 hour rides I like to do.
It will be hard to give input on a bike that's not out yet. I think you answered your own question by saying you couldn't "embrace" 26 wheels. Wait for the Zeus, if it's as good as the new Ciclon, it will be bad ass. I plan to grab one as soon as they're available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.