Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    customized
    Sep 2003

Thoughts of potential new Ventana frame

Been thinking for while of getting a new frame. Still on the fence. Right now I ride a Transition Covert and really enjoy it. The standover is a big deal to me. This is what leads me to Ventana. I have always loved the look of the X-5. Actually, I loved the look of the Pantera of years past.

What I do not like about the X-5 is the geometry. I would need to have at least a 140mm fork. So the thought is to get an X-5 with El Ciclon geometry. I like the idea of the straight gauge tubing on the X-5 as well. I'd get the quad bearing option as well as Enduro Max bearings.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone? Also, I'd love to run my AM1SLATA on it at 140mm, but I wonder if it would really take away from the ability to climb. One thing that I don't like about the Covert is that I have to adjust the travel all the time up front. Would it be better to just run a Pike and be happy?

Thanks for any insight.

Team Chilidog!
    I dunno what the travel of your fork is, but you can get an El Salt (4" travel) with an X brace from the X-5.

I have X-5 with El Ciclon geometry, so it's a little more slack than the standard X-5. The standard X-5 was built around a 130mm fork, not a 140mm fork. Can someone please confirm this?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    The standard X-5 was built around a 130mm fork, not a 140mm fork. Can someone please confirm this?
    This I have found to be true.

How does the bike ride?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    This I have found to be true.

How does the bike ride?
    My bike? Great with 5" rockers. I did get a Lyrik because I want to see how it works in 6" mode as well (I had the BB height dropped a bit too).
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

customized
    Sep 2003
    What did you think about the 6" mode?

mtbr member
    Call Sherwood at Ventana and ask him about semi-custom and custom options. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea about the frame geometry you would like, and he will be able to give you some great insights. It will probably cost a bit more, but you will get a frame exactly tailored to your needs -- there ain't too many places where you can get that kind of customer service.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Dude, buying a Ventana is like going to BK......you can have it your way. Call Sherwood and create that trail monster you have been dreaming about.

The Rowdy Scotsman
    I had a Pantera... loved it, but it can't touch a Salty or El Rey!

My Cuz is also riding a Salty with a 140mm travel fork. It sounds like a little bit too much travel for me, but he's digging it and says it's the Shiznit. He plans to upgrade to a 5" travel rocker on the Salt.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots

My Cuz is also riding a Salty with a 140mm travel fork. It sounds like a little bit too much travel for me, but he's digging it and says it's the Shiznit. He plans to upgrade to a 5" travel rocker on the Salt.
    Please don't say that...I am almost done building my Salty with a Revelation @ 115mm, but I have my Pike sitting there in a box...oh temptation go away

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My '04 X5 with 6" rockers works fine with a 140 mm Pike. The geometry is fine, but the BB is a bit on the high side. But that issue was taken care of eventually with a gravity dropper seatpost. Now I can get down low enough for the downhills and have great pedal clearance in the technical stuff.

I only need to wind the front travel down for seriously steep and technical climbs. Normal climbing is fine at 140 mm.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

customized
    Sep 2003
    I understand that Sherwood will build a frame fully custom if I need or want, I was trying to get first hand impressions on what riders think of the concept of an X-5 with Ciclon Geo. I guess it will act just like a Ciclon with a little more beefiness, so I will just read around about that frame.

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Please don't say that...I am almost done building my Salty with a Revelation @ 115mm, but I have my Pike sitting there in a box...oh temptation go away
    Hey Crisillo,

I'm Scot's Cuz.

First....will you even get to ride the Salty with so many other V's in the stable! You are truly addicted....get some professional help!

Second, your signature quote makes me laugh every time I see it....and helps me remember why I always try to lead the pack!

Third, I am running a Talas....and I almost always ride it at 120mm. I do flip it to 100mm on some steep climbs and 140mm on bigger drops or slower technical descents....but the bulk of the time, it stays put at 120mm. It gets a bit squirrelly at 140mm on faster descents....and the Fox has more brake dive than I'd like. So my bet is you'll be happy with the 115mm travel on the Rev.

Also, after finally getting my DHX 5.0 coil dialed in, I'll be sticking with the 4" of travel...at least for now. I do ride AM, but I'm only about 155lbs with gear, and 4" of travel on the Salty feels like a lot more than any other 4" bike I've ridden.

Get some specs and pix uploaded on the Salty when you get it finished.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDDS
    Hey Crisillo,

I'm Scot's Cuz.

First....will you even get to ride the Salty with so many other V's in the stable! You are truly addicted....get some professional help!

Second, your signature quote makes me laugh every time I see it....and helps me remember why I always try to lead the pack!

Third, I am running a Talas....and I almost always ride it at 120mm. I do flip it to 100mm on some steep climbs and 140mm on bigger drops or slower technical descents....but the bulk of the time, it stays put at 120mm. It gets a bit squirrelly at 140mm on faster descents....and the Fox has more brake dive than I'd like. So my bet is you'll be happy with the 115mm travel on the Rev.

Also, after finally getting my DHX 5.0 coil dialed in, I'll be sticking with the 4" of travel...at least for now. I do ride AM, but I'm only about 155lbs with gear, and 4" of travel on the Salty feels like a lot more than any other 4" bike I've ridden.

Get some specs and pix uploaded on the Salty when you get it finished.

Thanks, MTBDDS!

Well there are only 2 Ventanas in my stable.... for now

That signature comes from some really old ad...I don't remember exactly from what company now

on the fork, I think the 115mm of the Rev will work fine and it should be stiff enough...I have been spoiled by 20mm TA forks , thanks for your input

You can see some build pics on this thread The Red Barn strikes yet again! (2nd Ventana in a month)

I only need to install the shifter cables and housing this afternoon and should be ready to rock this weekend.....weather is crappy... but I gotta ride it!

Unfit Norwegian
    Been thinking for while of getting a new frame. Still on the fence. Right now I ride a Transition Covert and really enjoy it. The standover is a big deal to me. This is what leads me to Ventana. I have always loved the look of the X-5. Actually, I loved the look of the Pantera of years past.

What I do not like about the X-5 is the geometry. I would need to have at least a 140mm fork. So the thought is to get an X-5 with El Ciclon geometry. I like the idea of the straight gauge tubing on the X-5 as well. I'd get the quad bearing option as well as Enduro Max bearings.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone? Also, I'd love to run my AM1SLATA on it at 140mm, but I wonder if it would really take away from the ability to climb. One thing that I don't like about the Covert is that I have to adjust the travel all the time up front. Would it be better to just run a Pike and be happy?

Thanks for any insight.
    I think the X5 with a 140mm fork has geometry that is practically identical to the Ciclón.

the train keeps rollin
    Severum, get your money together, Call Sherwood, get the Geometry to your exact liking. I'd think you would want a BB slightly taller than the Ciclon. Have him design the bike around your fork choice.
    beaver hunt

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    My favourite set-up with an air shock for trail riding was 4" rockers and the PIKE @ 125mm. The climbing efficiency with the CCDB & 5" rockers is as good or slightly better.

To the OP, all of my Ventanas are custom geo (except my wife's Fuego). Once you get a frame that actually fits you, riding stock geo that doesn't sucks! Definitely get an adjustable travel fork.

Spend the money, it's worth it in spades.

JMO,
    D.

Team Chilidog!
    What did you think about the 6" mode?
    Dunno.. I broke my wrist before my 6" shock came in

I'm hoping to try next year.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Severum, get your money together, Call Sherwood, get the Geometry to your exact liking. I'd think you would want a BB slightly taller than the Ciclon. Have him design the bike around your fork choice.

wait till he gets my call
    Voltron

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    My favourite set-up with an air shock for trail riding was 4" rockers and the PIKE @ 125mm.
    See D...that comment is not helping

I will give the RVL a shot (I liked it on my SS before).... if I find I can't go back to QR I'll slap the Pike on

Shot Down in Flames...
    Then this certainly isn't going to help. I have a set of PIKE lowers that I'm about to put on the Rev. that is on the Chiquillo.

I just need to find the time to make the swap.

D.

Then this certainly isn't going to help. I have a set of PIKE lowers that I'm about to put on the Rev. that is on the Chiquillo.

D.

that's even worst

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks for any insight.
    What kind of trails are you riding?
    It sounds like a grand idea. If I were to buy an El Ciclon, I'd ask for straight gauge tubing - always good to have options. I do love my X-6...but if someone jacked it, a new TM would be headed my way.
    I am running an X-5/6 with a Pike up front, and a good buddy of mine is running an El C with a Pike up front as well. Sherwood tweaked the geo for him, given that they knew the Pike was the fork going on that bike.

I love the X-5. I have run it with both air and coil setups. To summarize some of my many previous posts, I prefer it at 130 -135mm with 5" rockers, 140mm on the 6" setup (fwiw, I run a 2.5 up front and 2.35 in the back). It climbs great in both, rarely do I ever drop the front end for a climb and I am running a 60mm stem right now. I should measure the effects of different settings on angles sometime, but I spend too much time tinkering as it is. I actually prefer to just ride it in 140/6" mode all the time. I just got my coil pushed, so I am trying to get that setup right.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 11-09-2007 at 12:18 PM.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

D.
    D's a TA junkie.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    D's a TA junkie.
    I think I am too ..but let's see..

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    What kind of trails are you riding?
    Pretty much anything the east coast can offer.

Climbing is very important to me, just as bombing down with confidence is. We have wild rock gardens and areas full of open rock with steep rollers and step ups. I tend to take the tech sections very slow yet clean most.

The bike has to feel great over extended rides, up to 30 or so miles.

Our trails are pretty diverse. I want everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast