destination unknown
    May 2008

Thoughts - Custom El Rey

I've been out of action due to injury and am immensly bored, left pondering bikes and components I otherwise wouldn't. I've been lusting/e-riding after several bikes lately. One of them is a custom Ventana, either a Ciclon or El Rey. With the prospect of shorter stays I'm psyched on an El Rey for now. I don't believe that one needs a ton of travel to ride the most rugged terrain. You just need to either slow down, pick better lines, or be smooth. That said, 4" rear on a 29er would be enough for me in just about any situation sans shuttle runs.

Terrain: Pedaling anything and everything. My goal is always to clean whatever lies ahead going up or down, that's what drives me to ride. This bike would be ridden on everything from flowy sierra ST to technical rock crawling to blasting rock gardens, and the occassional drop, to tranny is preferred.

Build: Flows, 120 Reba, combo of XTR/XT/XO kit, 2x10 w/bash, 70mm stem, 711 bars, no carbon. Complete weight about 30lbs.

Numbers: Custom El Rey, all measurements are with 4" rockers, 120 Reba and 2.4 Ardents F/R. This is a medium/large frame for a 5'10.5" rider with 34" inseam.

ST: 18.4"
    HT: 3.75" or whatever allows my approx stack height
    Reach: 15.5"
    Stack: Approx 23.75"
    ETT: Approx 23.25"
    STA: Approx 75*
    HA: 68.5*
    BB Height: 13"
    WB: Goal would be 45" even
    Tapered HT

An option to run the Reba at 140 with a flush lower cup would be nice too. This would slacken it slightly and raise the BB.

The BB height will determine STA allowance, which will determine the ETT. My reach number has to be spot on though.

What do you guys think of these numbers? Too aggressive, not aggressive enough, too low, too slack? What would you want?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    ST: 18.4"
    HT: 3.75" or whatever allows my approx stack height
    Reach: 15.5"
    Stack: Approx 23.75"
    ETT: Approx 23.25"
    STA: Approx 75*
    HA: 68.5*
    BB Height: 13"
    WB: Goal would be 45" even
    Tapered HT
    What are the new Ventana chainstays? I have not kept up.

I think you would be very happy with that bike in almost all situations. Ask for a 30.9 seat tube if not standard to you can get the saddle down. The BB is low, but manageable. Sagged should be around 11.5"?? Pretty low for seated, spinning the cranks type low gear climbing. I would probably bump it up a bit.

I very much like my Lenz at 125 rear and 140mm front and the numbers are pretty close except the BB is 13.75" and I still bash a lot of pedals.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    What are the new Ventana chainstays? I have not kept up.

I think you would be very happy with that bike in almost all situations. Ask for a 30.9 seat tube if not standard to you can get the saddle down. The BB is low, but manageable. Sagged should be around 11.5"?? Pretty low for seated, spinning the cranks type low gear climbing. I would probably bump it up a bit.

I very much like my Lenz at 125 rear and 140mm front and the numbers are pretty close except the BB is 13.75" and I still bash a lot of pedals.
    Thanks for the input Eric. What's the HA on your Lenz?

I'm not sure what the stay length on the new V's is going to be. I'm going off of what I know about the existing model with the idea of the stays being a little shorter along with the other proposed changes.

The BB is a gray zone for sure. I'm not sure what's going to be perfect for 100mm travel. My Spot is 140mm with a 13.8 BB and I run about 33-35% sag. For my riding I wouldn't want it any lower than that. I imagine I'd set up the El Rey with about 30% sag most of the time. I was hoping to net the same sagged BB as the Spot or even a little higher since the V's tend to squat a little more.