Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Terremoto -vs- La Bruja?

Hey all for awhile now i've been riding a El Chamuco and I'm starting to get tempted with replacing it. I built it basically for Moab type riding, emphasis on the down, but obviously with thoughts of being able to climb. I'd say my chamuco is about 35lbs, 150mm fork up front, dual ring guide setup, etc. My guess is the frame weight is pretty close as my chamuco was like 8-8.5 with the romic.

So I'm curious of those of you lucky enough to have rode or demo'd both how they compare? Is the La bruja just too much to climb with? I realize it's not going to be a fireroad climbing machine or XC course destroyer. I was thinking with a 66 up front with ETA it might be tolerable. I'd probably stick a fox 36 on a Terremoto.

Thanks

Todd

Proud lame eBiker
    I have a Bruja and I'd say if you're looking for more of an all-mountain type of ride, go with the Terremoto hands down. As much as I like my Bruja, I think I should have gone with the TM instead as the Bruja just doesn't climb well enough to do anything for too long. It rips once you point it downhill though!
    I feel the seat tube angle is a bit too steep for climbing, I'm searching for a lay-back post....but am kinda stuck because I like to run the Gravity Dropper post on that bike, and they have no setback at all.
    Sherwood batted the idea of making a layback adaptor for the GD but I don't think it's progressed at all because he hasn't had to climb anything on his Bruja lately! hehehe

I'm on the fence of selling the Bruja and getting a TM.....not liking that painful process though.

My two pennies worth.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you decide to sell the Bruja front triangle and rockers--keeping the rear end for a Terremoto conversion--let me know. (I've got an HD rear end on an '04 Bruja whose original rear end broke above the dropout pivot.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Internal14,

Thats quite the coincidence, I actually called Velo City today to see what ventana's you guys had to check out as I'm up in Reno, just moved here from ND. I didn't realize I'm only a couple hours from Sherwood as well, so I may have to see if I can sneak over there.

It's a tough one, I would not mind going with a bit more bike than the el chamuco, but at the same time it has to get me up to the top of porcupine as well, cause I refuse to push my bike uphill just so I can ride it down.

At this rate I may just slap a talas 36 on my chamuco and be happy for another year. In all honesty the only complaints I have about it is it has significant pedal feedback, and absolutely needs a evil drs to keep the chain on track on fast rough stuff, and the rear really stiffens up under braking, which in the traction buffet that is moab is not an issue but in wet rooty stuff its more noticeable.

Bodhisattva
    Internal....

good input. I've been considering moving from TM>Bruja for quite some time but the short cockpit and steep angles on Bruja had me concerned about climbing comfort.

I think I'll hold what I have and consider picking up El Cuervo for lift days
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Same here, I was so surprised how well the ET pedals that I had a brief look at the Bruja but that bike is not for me. And there's still plenty of potential on my ET.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Powered by ice cream.
    Isn't the Bruja equivalent to the Turner Highline?

I've heard they are great climbing bikes, so I'd go for the Bruja.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Isn't the Bruja equivalent to the Turner Highline?

I've heard they are great climbing bikes, so I'd go for the Bruja.
    I would too but as far as I know the Bruja is not Tscheezy approved

― Albert Einstein

MTB B'dos
    I know I'll get gang raped for saying this but..............have you consider the Knolly Endorphine? It seems to be getting some excellent praises as far as climbing are concerned and handles the down very well - just ask Larry how much he likes his. Other than that if you're set on Ventana from what I've seen the T'moto pedals really well UH and bombs the DH.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I know I'll get gang raped for saying this but..............have you consider the Knolly Endorphine? It seems to be getting some excellent praises as far as climbing are concerned and handles the down very well - just ask Larry how much he likes his. Other than that if you're set on Ventana from what I've seen the T'moto pedals really well UH and bombs the DH.
    Endorphin is a great bike. No doubt.

However, at an equivalent weight the Terremoto offers more travel, a 1.5 HT option, costs less, and I'd be willing to bet it can handle a bit more abuse (although very few people, yours truly included, will push either bike to its limits)

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Actually I looked really hard at the Delirium T, but I would have to ride one and be amazed how well it climbed since it's a solid 4lbs more frame than my el chamuco is. I looked at the endorphin, and if it was a 6.5" travel bike and set up to take a 150-160mm fork I'd be looking at it a lot harder, but with a 5.5" rear end and a 140mm max fork recommendation it seems like going the wrong way for me.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    Actually I looked really hard at the Delirium T, but I would have to ride one and be amazed how well it climbed since it's a solid 4lbs more frame than my el chamuco is. I looked at the endorphin, and if it was a 6.5" travel bike and set up to take a 150-160mm fork I'd be looking at it a lot harder, but with a 5.5" rear end and a 140mm max fork recommendation it seems like going the wrong way for me.
    I agree with your logic.

When Noel was talking about a longer travel Endorphin I was very excited.

The Delirium is a sick bike but it pedals like a bike 4 pounds heavier than a Chamuco
    (don't you just love when people say that a bike "pedals" like something that is lighter)

As long as Knolly uses the current suspension design their bikes will always be on the heavier side. They have a lot of fasteners & bearings.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 01-28-2008 at 08:40 PM.

― Albert Einstein

MTB B'dos
    Good points TSW, and if costs less then definitely T'moto. As you say few push them where they can go, but I was impressed with what I saw as a AM type bike on those type trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Endorphin is a great bike. No doubt.

However, at an equivalent weight the Terremoto offers more travel, a 1.5 HT option, costs less, and I'd be willing to bet it can handle a bit more abuse (although very few people, yours truly included, will push either bike to its limits)
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bodhisattva
    Good points TSW, and if costs less then definitely T'moto. As you say few push them where they can go, but I was impressed with what I saw as a AM type bike on those type trails.
    You referring to the Loveland/Ft.Collins trails?

Dems 29er trails

Next time you come out we'll be sure to get you up Thompson canyon where the short-travel 29ers lag and the big bikes come alive.

― Albert Einstein

MTB B'dos
    Well kind of, but yeah I was told there's knarlier stuff a little ways out. But still I couldn't see 'Beast on the DH when he was on his T'moto unless he waited for me and he did very good climbing. I did get out into west of Golden into Mtn Lion, 3 Sisters and that area. But yeah by next visit I think I'll be ready for some knarly stuff and I will still be on my "small travel" 29er, but will put on some meatier rubber than I was sporting last time - 2.1" Nano's, Xmarks and Ignitors aren't really too aggressive.

You referring to the Loveland/Ft.Collins trails?

Dems 29er trails

Next time you come out we'll be sure to get you up Thompson canyon where the short-travel 29ers lag and the big bikes come alive.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Well kind of, but yeah I was told there's knarlier stuff a little ways out. But still I couldn't see 'Beast on the DH when he was on his T'moto unless he waited for me and he did very good climbing. I did get out into west of Golden into Mtn Lion, 3 Sisters and that area. But yeah by next visit I think I'll be ready for some knarly stuff and I will still be on my "small travel" 29er, but will put on some meatier rubber than I was sporting last time - 2.1" Nano's, Xmarks and Ignitors aren't really too aggressive.
    you would probably have your best chance of keeping up with squeaky if you rode with him next weekend as he is still recovering from surgery

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    you would probably have your best chance of keeping up with squeaky if you rode with him next weekend as he is still recovering from surgery
    Brrrrrraaaaaaaappppppppppp

GAME ON

Cleared to ride last weekend. Went out with Beast & Larry on Sunday.

I wasn't bringing up the rear either

I think I'll ride after work today which probably equals or surpasses your riding days for 2008 YTD.

BTW...Beast tell you about his wreck on the TMoto? He beats that thing like a rented mule. note to self: don't buy used bikes from Beast.

― Albert Einstein

Brrrrrraaaaaaaappppppppppp

GAME ON

Cleared to ride last weekend. Went out with Beast & Larry on Sunday.

I wasn't bringing up the rear either

I think I'll ride after work today which probably equals or surpasses your riding days for 2008 YTD.

BTW...Beast tell you about his wreck on the TMoto? He beats that thing like a rented mule. note to self: don't buy used bikes from Beast.
    LOL...it does indeed. looks like this weekend will include some riding time.

Also glad to hear you were not "bringing it up" Larry or Sean's rear

Bodhisattva
    LOL...it does indeed. looks like this weekend will include some riding time.

Also glad to hear you were not "bringing it up" Larry or Sean's rear
    Hopefully Beast will have the replacement parts before he sells that TMoto although I told him a bit of epoxy and paint might mask the damage

― Albert Einstein

Hopefully Beast will have the replacement parts before he sells that TMoto although I told him a bit of epoxy and paint might mask the damage
    anything will fool the idiot who bought that frame

Outcast
    anything will fool the idiot who bought that frame
    Say it ain't so! Fo, you bought the winter camo frame? Did you get a matching pair of riding shorts to go with it?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Say it ain't so! Fo, you bought the winter camo frame? Did you get a matching pair of riding shorts to go with it?
    Beast told me he's including his matching camo bike shorts which he rode in all last summer but is yet to wash. What a bargain !

― Albert Einstein

Team Fearless Descender
    I told him a bit of epoxy and paint might mask the damage

All you need...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    All you need...
    I knew things were bad when Larry said, "I've NEVER seen that happen before"

― Albert Einstein

Outcast
    I'm happy that The Beast found someone stupid enough to buy his mortally damaged frame. It's not like it's ever gonna get ridden anyway....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast