mtbr member

Suspension Bearings

How often does everyone check and or replace your suspension bearings?

I finally checked my previous generation El Chucho after of a couple of seasons, I know a long time but nothing seemed amiss. All the bearings need to be replaced and the main pivot inner bearing was totally seized, I've got a set of Enduro MAX bearings on the way.

I thought I would share this to remind everyone to take your rear end apart, not just remove the shock and move the swing arm and say everything seems OK (that's what I'd been doing).

Team Chilidog!
    How did you check yours this time then?

I replace mine every year. Usually there's something that doesn't feel right in the frame, and it turns out to be the bearings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    How did you check yours this time then?

I replace mine every year. Usually there's something that doesn't feel right in the frame, and it turns out to be the bearings.
    I took the rear end apart. All the bearings were gritty and initially hard to turn and like I said the inner main pivot bearing seized and I still can't get any movement after removing it. I didn't notice anything but I think since it happens gradually over time it's hard to feel change. I'm sure I'll notice a difference once the new ones are installed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    which inner main are you talking about? i've had my nondrive go bad twice, never the driveside. i'm up here on the wet side of the Washington mts. i put about 12-1500 mi. in a year & don't wash it much, just rinse it off when it's really nasty mud covered. all my other bearings remain in great shape after 3 yrs., so i'm pretty pleased
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    which inner main are you talking about? i've had my nondrive go bad twice, never the driveside. i'm up here on the wet side of the Washington mts. i put about 12-1500 mi. in a year & don't wash it much, just rinse it off when it's really nasty mud covered. all my other bearings remain in great shape after 3 yrs., so i'm pretty pleased
    Quad bearing set up has two bearings at each pivot. The inner bearing on both sides of the main pivot ( where the swing arm attaches to the frame at the bottom bracket) were seized. I live and ride in Bend so hardly any wet riding, I'll give the bike a light hose to get the dust off occasionally.

Sounds like you're talking about bottom bracket bearings when you say drive side non-drive side, I don't think that would make a difference on suspension pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Bend View Post
    Quad bearing set up has two bearings at each pivot. The inner bearing on both sides of the main pivot ( where the swing arm attaches to the frame at the bottom bracket) were seized. I live and ride in Bend so hardly any wet riding, I'll give the bike a light hose to get the dust off occasionally.

Sounds like you're talking about bottom bracket bearings when you say drive side non-drive side, I don't think that would make a difference on suspension pivot bearings.
    nope. non-drive side as in "left" side bearings @ the chainstay main bearing area, same as yours w/ the quad bearing setup.
    breezy shade

No known cure
    My rear triangle is on it's second front and is from the summer of "06". I recently installed a new upper shock bushing and cycled the rear. It was buttery smooth with no slop or crunchiness, even after handfuls of super d's and enduros. Thinking back, the only wet riding I've done on that bike has been the Ashland super d's. Quad bearing option BTW and I do grease the main pivot, but not often.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    My rear triangle is on it's second front and is from the summer of "06". I recently installed a new upper shock bushing and cycled the rear. It was buttery smooth with no slop or crunchiness, even after handfuls of super d's and enduros. Thinking back, the only wet riding I've done on that bike has been the Ashland super d's. Quad bearing option BTW and I do grease the main pivot, but not often.
    My bike "felt" fine when doing what you did, but after taking it apart and checking the bearings did it indicate a problem.

No known cure
    When I sent the rockers and rear back to Ventana, I checked each by hand and they were fine. That was three years ago. They probably need to be swapped but I'd rather put the cash towards a new Ciclon. I need to test ride one though to see if the new design is as plush as the last generation.

PMK
    mtbr member
    On the ECDM, we got a couple hard seasons of riding here in the Southeast on the bike. Pulled it apart and used the Ventana press tool to remove the bearings. Removed all the seals, cleaned and regreased 100% full, reinstalled the seals and assembled the bike. 1 Bearing was slightly tight and notchy but freed up with no effort.

After talking with Sherwood, he did mention going to steel instead of stainless fasteners. So far so good. Dry rides, rain rides, water crossing and washing.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    After talking with Sherwood, he did mention going to steel instead of stainless fasteners. So far so good. Dry rides, rain rides, water crossing and washing.
    How come? All my fasteners are Ti if that makes a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension Bearings-ag-138.jpg  

mtbr member
    New Enduro max bearings installed (ENDURO MAX BEARING SPECIFICATIONS). I can already tell the difference by just cycling the rear, I had to add about 15 lbs. of air to get the same sag. Will go ride today!