mtbr member

Squeaky, squeaky....

Getting some squeaking while sitting and cranking on my El Bastardo. Sounds cosistant with peddling rotations but think that is just because my bobbing is in sequence with peddling. Tried peddling on each crank individually and it's still there. If I stand and peddle it goes away. If I compress the bike while off the bike I do not hear it. I put a drop of all purpose bicycle lube on all the main pivit points but that did not help. I am thinking I may need to open up all the pivits, grease and re-install.

Anyone else have have the same issue on their V?

Suggestions?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If the squeaking goes away when you stand up, try starting with the saddle, seatpost, and post clamp. You can just check to see that everything's snug, or go one step further and disassemble, clean, lube, and reinstall those parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a similar issue with my 2012 El Rey. I greased the seat rails and seat post, but not the clamp...I'll try that next. I used Phil Wood grease any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    cleaned up the bike real well and lubed up all parts. Still squeaking. Paid more attention on some rides around the block. It DOES squeak while standing as well. Squeaks only when peddling. If I stop peddling it goes away. Best guess now is the bottom bracket. Gonna take that apart this week, clean and re lube.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    OK got it!!!!

Went for another ride around the block. Nice and quiet since it is 110 out side.

Narrowed it down to something in the rear. Toyed around with the rear skewer and it was still squeaking. Tried all gears and still squeaking. Took off the wheel, took off the rear cassette, cleaned and lubed the rear hub and cassette, put it back together and torqued to spec (which I usually don't pay much attention to)...and walla.....no more squeaky squeaky.

My V no longer sounds like a WM bike.
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse