Unfit Norwegian

Squeaking rear triangle.

My brand new Ciclon's rear triangle is squeaking when moving. I guess one or more pivots needs a little lube. Any tips on where to start? Is there a "usual suspect"?

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    My brand new Ciclon's rear triangle is squeaking when moving. I guess one or more pivots needs a little lube. Any tips on where to start? Is there a "usual suspect"?

Have you isolated the exact location of the squeak?

Unfit Norwegian
    No. If I had, I'd know what to lube. I just wondered if this was a usual problem. I'll just have to disconnect the shock and search, then, or just lube all the pivots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    FWIW, squeaking at the pivots is something I've never heard a Ventana do. Isolating the squeak can sometimes be difficult: it could involve a pivot, or it could invole the saddle, seatpost, cassette, pedals, cable housing, bottom bracket, or some other unsuspected part or interface between parts--even your shoes. You're certain it's one of the pivots?

The pivots themselves are sealed bearings, and in my experience they may get crunchy, but not squeak, when they're in need of service. You wouldn't really "lube" them so much as you'd throughly clean and then regrease the sealed bearings, which is most easily done if you remove the bearings from the frame and rocker. Most people I know prefer to just replace sealed bearings when they're no longer operating well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just thought of one more thing: check the shock mount. The upper DU bushing on the shock can squeak on the reducer eyelets when it gets a little worn, and it squeaks exactly when the suspension compresses. (The bushings are cheap and easy to replace.)

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    FWIW, squeaking at the pivots is something I've never heard a Ventana do. Isolating the squeak can sometimes be difficult: it could involve a pivot, or it could invole the saddle, seatpost, cassette, pedals, cable housing, bottom bracket, or some other unsuspected part or interface between parts--even your shoes. You're certain it's one of the pivots?
    That, or the shock mounts. It's a moving part in the rear triangle. I've disassembled and reassembled the shock when routing cables, so I should probably check the shock mounts first.

The pivots themselves are sealed bearings, and in my experience they may get crunchy, but not squeak, when they're in need of service. You wouldn't really "lube" them so much as you'd throughly clean and then regrease the sealed bearings, which is most easily done if you remove the bearings from the frame and rocker. Most people I know prefer to just replace sealed bearings when they're no longer operating well.
    I'm aware of this, but thanks. I guess I meant cleaning and applying some lube between the bearings/washers and rockers/struts. The frame is brand new, so the bearings themselves won't need regreasing. I'd never bother with regreasing sealed bearings, as you say. The whole point with them is that they're easily replaced.

I just want to get rid of the squeaking, for which my main suspect now is the shock mounts, I guess.

I'll keep you posted.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Before you try all the above, shoot some grease into the zirc fitting on the Needle bearing side. It could be that the xlip rubber seal didn't quite get enough grease on it. And it might be the easiest fix before taking things apart again.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Unfit Norwegian
    Thanks. I'll try that first.

mtbr member
    My guess....the new upper shock mount system that fox has converted to. Darn plas tic fittings, and we've certainly seen a few squeek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ever find that pesky squeak? doubt that what found w/ mine today would be your problem since yours is new, but this could be handy future reference.
    i had a real nasty creaking going on that would be @ it's worst when i was rear braking & a significant weight shift from rear to front would happen. front braking wouldn't cause it. the noise that is. i looked a few times over a couple days & just couldn't pinpoint it. called Sherwood today & he thought it was most likely a cracked chainstay, which wouldn't be too surprising since i had my worst crash about 5 weeks ago. took the chainstay off the bike & checking closesly w/ magnified reading glasses, didn't see any cracks, but the outside driveside mainbearing came out w/ a good pull of my finger. didn't expect that at all. i regreased the bearng & put blue Loctite in the bearing/frame interface surface & i have indeed achieved silence! wonderful thang
    breezy shade

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb View Post
    My guess....the new upper shock mount system that fox has converted to. Darn plas tic fittings, and we've certainly seen a few squeek.
    Thanks. I haven't located it yet. I greased the main pivot through the zerk, and lubed all the fittings/parts at the shock mounts, but it's still there. Not loud, but enough to annoy me slightly.

I'm beginning to suspect the shock itself. I just haven't gotten around to loosen the top shock mount and cycling the frame through it's travel with no shock to find out.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Thanks. I haven't located it yet. I greased the main pivot through the zerk, and lubed all the fittings/parts at the shock mounts, but it's still there. Not loud, but enough to annoy me slightly.

I'm beginning to suspect the shock itself. I just haven't gotten around to loosen the top shock mount and cycling the frame through it's travel with no shock to find out.
    Which shock do you have? I found that my CTD started squeaking in propedal, er climb or trail mode and had to be overhauled because there were bubbles in the nitrogen chamber. Fox covered it without any cost, but I guess it depends on the age of the shock. After it was overhauled, squeak was gone.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Unfit Norwegian
    It's a CTD, but it's never been out of descend mode. Thanks, though. I'll be sure to contact Fox about it if it turns out to be the shock itself.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I have been waiting for you to post the answer. I have had a bad creak ever since I greased the zirk fitting. I have checked everything and still a loud creak when under load. Nothing while riding flats.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i have one of the new el capitains. main pivot creaks since new. grease, no grease - still creaks. checked all other pivots for tightness. Going to ride it until something breaks in an identifiable way. Annoying just the same.