Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In FTF We Trust

Something Old, something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
    Semi-custom 18"/21" Ventana El Comandante frame
    Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
    Torquoise King Headset
    Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
    Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
    Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
    Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
    Jones H-Bars
    Hayes Mag XC Brakes
    White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
    32 tooth ENO chainring
    Shimano 540 SPD pedals
    18 tooth Endless cog
    King universal disc SS Hubs
    Stan's Arch 29er rims
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
    blue valve caps

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Very Nice Build..............

Gotta love those Chris Kings......... Is that your downhill bike in the back ground.....the one with the basket on the front

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Gotta love those Chris Kings......... Is that your downhill bike in the back ground.....the one with the basket on the front
    That's my yard art, it'll have holly in the basket pretty soon. If you look close you'll see a beefy cable locking it to an eye-bolt in my porch, I live a block away from 2 bars, 'nuff said.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Nice build! Can't wait to hear the ride report.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    OMG....the horror! A moots post! Havent you heard, they are forbade on the Ventana forum!

sweet ride!

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    OMG....the horror! A moots post! Havent you heard, they are forbade on the Ventana forum!

sweet ride!
    Naw, so long as the carpet matches the drapes...err...the seatpost matches the stem you're OK. I do have to credit you as one of my main influences in choosing an El Co and looking closer at Ventana in general.

Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Naw, so long as the carpet matches the drapes...err...the seatpost matches the stem you're OK. I do have to credit you as one of my main influences in choosing an El Co and looking closer at Ventana in general.
    i am honored....ventana is certainly a worthy company and sherwood is a true gentlemen indeed.

if only i could justify a 6" or 7" travel bike (and had the money) i would unload the RFX for a terremoto or bruja.

i have the utmost respect for sherwood and he is in a league of his own compared to many if not most of his competitors.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 12-09-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Bodhisattva
    i have the utmost respect for sherwood and he is NOT in a league with some of who i would call his competitors.
    ?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    ?????????????????
    yes...poorly worded...corrected to reflect he is more betterer than other companies. Noel from Knolly seems like a killer person as well of course

Captain Underpants
    Am I sensing a theme here?

Nice bike, I really dig the blue and the matching WB cages of course. Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame? I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.

I used to live a block away from a bar (the 8 Ball in Cotati, CA) and the drunks would go through our trash looking for good stuff. This was after they urinated on the lawn, cars, dog, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Am I sensing a theme here?

Nice bike, I really dig the blue and the matching WB cages of course. Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame?

I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.
    yes....i think i will order a Moots stem tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Superb! I am in awe!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    awesome build, el cid!

mtbr member
    yessir, that really turned out nice Chad....so how long has it been since Chris King has made headsets in that tone of blue (i'm thinking you've got some ebay gold right there buddy : ) ) ?

also...did i hear correct. You've got a Pugsley now too ?

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    so how long has it been since Chris King has made headsets in that tone of blue (i'm thinking you've got some ebay gold right there buddy : ) ) ?
    They discontinued the turquoise the same year the purple and apple green got axed, maybe 2002 or so? Yeah, gold like the nutjob (no offense if it was someone on here) that had an apple green headset listed for $999 buy it now...

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    also...did i hear correct. You've got a Pugsley now too ?
    Yup, the right deal sprung up in June of all times. Actually these Jones bars were "borrowed" from it. They were replaced on the Pugs with some Titec Jones bars. Now I don't have any excuses to not come over the hill (or around it this time of year) to come riding this winter. I still need to call you to score a copy of Klunkers too.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Is it a 18" Seat Tube with a TT from a 21" frame? I think I want some of those Racing Ralphs.
    Yup, 18" seat tube and tt from 20" (no 21", oops.) size (23.8" vtt). Converting the RR's tubeless was a beeyotch, I converted a pair of Special-ed tires over on the Strong 29er and they aired up by hand. These tool liberal cursing and a multiple shots from the 'ol compressor. They may be best run with tubes, but I've got a masochistic streak I guess.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    RR's are a good hardpack tire, but DON'T BOTHER if you have to deal with sand.

I still blame the tires (it couldn't be rider error, could it?) for a wipeout at speed that cost me a broken collar bone.

Loved the RR's everywhere but sand, and the performance there was bad enough to have me move back to some other favorites.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nice 29er

el-cid,

About how tall are you? I'm going to SyCip tomorrow to see what production size frame would fit me. Lately I've been thinking about getting a 29er SyCip SS frame but I'm not sure if the the 29er benefit me since I'm only 5'10" tall. I've heard that 29er frames are great if you're 6ft. or taller...

Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
    Semi-custom 18"/21" Ventana El Comandante frame
    Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
    Torquoise King Headset
    Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
    Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
    Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
    Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
    Jones H-Bars
    Hayes Mag XC Brakes
    White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
    32 tooth ENO chainring
    Shimano 540 SPD pedals
    18 tooth Endless cog
    King universal disc SS Hubs
    Stan's Arch 29er rims
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
    blue valve caps

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by psOption3
    el-cid,

About how tall are you? I'm going to SyCip tomorrow to see what production size frame would fit me. Lately I've been thinking about getting a 29er SyCip SS frame but I'm not sure if the the 29er benefit me since I'm only 5'10" tall. I've heard that 29er frames are great if you're 6ft. or taller...
    I'm 5'10". I own two 29ers and a 26er. The if I had to give up one, the 26er would be the first to go.

In FTF We Trust
    el-cid,

I'm 5'10" tall too. My bikes all have 24"-24.5" top tubes (give or take). I wouldn't hesitate for a second to try a 29er if I were you, I had a fleet of really nice 26" bikes and slowly they've all been replaced with 29ers. The SyCip was the final holdout (of the bikes I actually rode) but I finally admitted to myself I'd be better served with a new 29er SS. I've kept a few 26" wheeled bikes around like my Bontrager Race Lite and my Fisher Klunker but I don't see myself ever riding anything but a 29er as an everyday bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What about climbing on the 29er?

Is it tougher to climb on the 29er than the 26" wheels?

I'm 5'10" tall too. My bikes all have 24"-24.5" top tubes (give or take). I wouldn't hesitate for a second to try a 29er if I were you, I had a fleet of really nice 26" bikes and slowly they've all been replaced with 29ers. The SyCip was the final holdout (of the bikes I actually rode) but I finally admitted to myself I'd be better served with a new 29er SS. I've kept a few 26" wheeled bikes around like my Bontrager Race Lite and my Fisher Klunker but I don't see myself ever riding anything but a 29er as an everyday bike.

Bodhisattva
    My niners have TT in the 23.5" range, but that's really personal preference.

In FTF We Trust
    Is it tougher to climb on the 29er than the 26" wheels?
    Well, the gearing winds up a bit different (you can compensate for that though), but in my experience climbing is easier. I've found that I have better traction with the 29er tires and the front end tends to stay down better on steep climbs (a combination of wheelbase and longer chainstays probably) even with your bars higher than on your 26" wheel bikes. Of course these are my opinions and I'm sure there are plenty that'd be glad to argue those points with me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    And how well does it fly down the trails? Is it difficult to control those huge wheels in tight turns?

Well, the gearing winds up a bit different (you can compensate for that though), but in my experience climbing is easier. I've found that I have better traction with the 29er tires and the front end tends to stay down better on steep climbs (a combination of wheelbase and longer chainstays probably) even with your bars higher than on your 26" wheel bikes. Of course these are my opinions and I'm sure there are plenty that'd be glad to argue those points with me.

In FTF We Trust
    And how well does it fly down the trails? Is it difficult to control those huge wheels in tight turns?
    The big wheels seem to maintain momentum really well so I find myself rolling a lot of stuff my friends are pedalling over or through. I haven't have any problems on tight trails or switchbacks (at least no more than I had before I rode 29ers ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast