Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

So why didn't you just buy a Kona or a Turner ?

Seeing that they are the same ?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...4531&t=3534531

thats why I come over here.....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..tough crowd at STW....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can run but you can't hide Justa!

banned
    I guess no one there really understands how similar designs can be made to feel different. Neither of the three tunes or tests their bikes to ride the same. They optimize for different test trails and riding types.

Meanwhile, I'm sure every single one of them has chosen a car that was similar to ones made by other manufacturers, in the same class, and with likely similar suspensions, because it rode better.

BMW uses struts on almost everything it makes.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Sounds like Foxy Boy has his balls in a knot...he probably rides a "S" bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hadge - wot you doing on here

get over there ---------> to the Yeti forum

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I read that as well Justa, maybe your reply should have read

'Because gentlemen it's NOT a Ventana' Nuff said.

Went riding with Alan round Llandegla on Saturday, bloody hell he climbs like a whippet!

and now i've sold my Big Hit, a new X5 should be on it's way.

can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm everywhere The only one of the "Boutique" bikes I've not ridden (owned) is the Ventana but I can comment with some experience about the Yeti 575 (current), Intense 5.5, Turner 5 Spot and Santa Cruz Blur as I've owned them all and ridden them for many many a mile. From what I can see there are a lot of similarities in the Ventana and the Turner but I'd love to try one long term to see how it really compares. For my type of riding - fast XC stuff the Yeti is proving a superb bike but of the others the Turner runs it extremely close, as doe's the Intense. The Blur is way behind but it all comes down to geometry and it's too XC for me. The suspension works superbly which is why I had the Intense next and that has a more "relaxed" front end and feels like it's on rails at times. But the 5.5 doesn't suit our British weather which is why I bought the Turner and had them both at the same time. I built the Turner up more "burly" as it had a DHX Coil with ti spring and FOX Van 32 forks but it felt so plush it was amazing. But - it came in at over 30lb and I wanted a lighter bike and when Yeti brought out the new 08 575 I plumbed for one of those.

I'm hoping the 575 has all the best "all-weather" capability of the Turner plus the "excitement" that the Intense gave when ridden hard. So far it has so I'm very happy. Whether the Ventana also has those qualities I couldn't say but I certainly wouldn't say no to owning one and they certainly aren't a posh Kona.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexracing
    I read that as well Justa, maybe your reply should have read

'Because gentlemen it's NOT a Ventana' Nuff said.

Went riding with Alan round Llandegla on Saturday, bloody hell he climbs like a whippet!

and now i've sold my Big Hit, a new X5 should be on it's way.

can't wait.
    Pics when it arrives !!!!

Team Chilidog!
    Konas are made overseas. I wanted a bike made here, in a small shop. Also, from what I've seen of the Konas lately, they've been really bad about QC. My husband's had to be rebuilt and taken back to the LBS quite a bit when we first got it.

Turners don't make a TT small enough.

I had a HH100X (Titus Racer X basically before), and I liked Hammerhead Bikes, and I was going to buy their HH125X (El Cilcon before the El Ciclon), but Charles talked me into an X-5.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justa

http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...4531&t=3534531

thats why I come over here.....
    No quad bearings, custom fabrication, or bushings...

growth
    simplest reason of all. because if I had bought another bike I would still have wanted a ventana. I would never stop thinking about a ventana and would end up getting one someday anyway. so rather than waste money on a bike I didn't really want in the first place, I just bit the bullet on the extra expense and got what I really wanted.
    frame2.jpg

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemywife
    simplest reason of all. because if I had bought another bike I would still have wanted a ventana. I would never stop thinking about a ventana and would end up getting one someday anyway. so rather than waste money on a bike I didn't really want in the first place, I just bit the bullet on the extra expense and got what I really wanted.
    frame2.jpg

Is that metallic-bass-boat-root-beer? Whatever color it is, I likey.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

HIKE!
    Ventana has full suspension tandems, duh.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I owned a Turner, and "borrowed" two Konas long enough to make up my mind. No disrespect to DT, but Sherwood knows WTF he's doing.

I own 4 Ventanas and had a Sherwood designed Psycle Werks before. You either get it or you don't.

D.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Because they make the Fuego.
    Because it fits.

Because it's a bike that I'll be able to grow into (not size, ability) for quite a while.

Because - I wanted it.

I've ridden a variety of 'other' duallies. From cheap Diamondback's, Specialized's, Rocky's, Jamis and a few others. Even the Santa Cruz I had for a day - they were all close... but I didn't want close - I wanted the right one.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    That link was funny.

I owned two Turners, but wanted a 29er hardtail, and a 29er that actually fit me without resulting in a too short a seattube. Ventana fit the bill perfectly. The craftsmanship of the frame was just icing on the cake. Turner makes great bikes, but they don't fit me and my shorter TT requirement. And I'm not running a mile of seatpost on my bikes. (edit: Ventana 29ers fit me better, 26ers are a tossup between Tuner and Ventana)

Oddly, I have been looking for a 6" travel frame, and looked at a number of choices: Knolly, Turner, Transition . . . but I still find that the Ventanas fit me best. But who knows, I will probably settle for the El Bastardo. I wonder if Sherwood could do one up with Terremoto tubing

Kona: Great coffee, not so great bikes.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 03-27-2008 at 05:58 AM.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    This isn't really an interesting thread per se, but some interesting comments were brought up about shorter TT length with the Ventana bikes - is that because y'all (Random Drivel & stripes) had custom geo built? Comparing it to the Spot the TT length looks about the same to me...

Shot Down in Flames...
    Speaking of top tubes. I neglected to mention one of the main reasons I own Ventanas, custom geometry. My 17" HTs have 24" TTs and my 18" Salty has 23.7". Try finding that on stock geometry.

D.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    some interesting comments were brought up about shorter TT length with the Ventana bikes - is that because y'all (Random Drivel & stripes) had custom geo built? Comparing it to the Spot the TT length looks about the same to me...
    I had the XL Sultan with a TT of 25.5"; In comparison the 22" El Padrino sports a 24.5" TT. Numbers for the El Rey are similar. This is standard geo, not custom. But I think it is more of a 29er sizing issue-- DT went with a longer TT on the Sultan for a number of reasons. 26ers between the two brands on the other hand, are pretty close.

Comparing the top tubes on the RFX and the Terremoto they are pretty close, as are the TT's on the Spot to the Ciclon. I should have made that distinction on my original post, so I'll fix that. But still, the Terrremoto (for example) fits me better than does the RFX. On paper, anyway. Only about a half inch difference on TT lengths.

Both companies make great bikes, and frankly, someone looking for a high quality frame wouldn't go wrong buying either brand.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 04-12-2008 at 11:49 PM.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Random - I was looking at the Terremoto and RFX so your comments help put that into perspective. It makes sense too what you wrote about the Sultan, I know a buddy who I used to race with that has a Sultan and he's always a little more comfortable on a longer TT bike as I am. I am thinking about a Terremoto ro something like it down the road and I am thinking I can get it set up right w/out needing custom geo - but I haven't thrown a leg over one yet...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    This isn't really an interesting thread per se, but some interesting comments were brought up about shorter TT length with the Ventana bikes - is that because y'all (Random Drivel & stripes) had custom geo built? Comparing it to the Spot the TT length looks about the same to me...
    In my case, the stock X-5 was a perfect fit. So my new bike didn't touch the TT, it messed with everything else: HA, BB, etc.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

CEO Product Failure
    That Turner owner really has an unusual way to run his cables. I know toilets flush in different directions in Australia, and you drive on the left side of the road in some countries, but is cable routing another one of those reversed cultural exports?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    That Turner owner really has an unusual way to run his cables. I know toilets flush in different directions in Australia, and you drive on the left side of the road in some countries, but is cable routing another one of those reversed cultural exports?

you mean the "moto" style brakes?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So I could use my camera as an excuse at the top of climbs...Here is one of me catching my breath.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast