mtbr member
    Feb 2006

So tell me about your 29 er......

After riding a Specialized Tri-Cross all winter I've got used to the bigger wheels,

Went out on my El Ciclon yesterday and it seemed (not suprisingly) slow and hard work in comparision.

Do any of the benefits that the Tricross shows make its way into a 29 er mtb ?

Oh and please go ahead and show some pics and opinions of your El Rey - if I think about swapping my El Ciclon would have to be another Ventana..

Shovel Ready
    I'm extremely happy with my El Rey. WB F110 is working perfectly. I don't buy into all the hype between 26 or 29 wheels. I know I like riding my El Rey more then I did my Turner RFX. For me the larger wheel roils over the AZ rocks a little better. Being a fat dude it helps keep up speed on the flats. I personally don't noticed a big difference in climbing between one wheel or another. Bottom line whatever makes you want to go ride. Is what you should be using in my opinion.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I'm extremely happy with my El Rey. WB F110 is working perfectly. I don't buy into all the hype between 26 or 29 wheels. I know I like riding my El Rey more then I did my Turner RFX. For me the larger wheel roils over the AZ rocks a little better. Being a fat dude it helps keep up speed on the flats. I personally don't noticed a big difference in climbing between one wheel or another. Bottom line whatever makes you want to go ride. Is what you should be using in my opinion.

Yeah trb2929........your currently built El Rey is lookin real sharp ( nice job ) ! TIG.

Shovel Ready
    Thanks,

It does not look like that anymore, its dirty now! Also have some WTB Stouts on it. I had issues with the Rampages tubeless. Fork, Hadley's, and everything else are just working prefect for me. I honestly have not been happier with any bike I have owned. Since I'm a fat dude. I may have my RP23 Pushed and valved for my weight. Other than that I just ride it now.

Sherwood did a Great job with the EL Rey. But I personally did not like it in 5 inch mode. Which reminds me, I need to place an MTBR add for the rockers.

Shovel Ready
    I have been kicking around a grip shifters X9 versions. Any opinion on them in Ventana land?

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Thanks,

It does not look like that anymore, its dirty now! Also have some WTB Stouts on it. I had issues with the Rampages tubeless. Fork, Hadley's, and everything else are just working prefect for me. I honestly have not been happier with any bike I have owned. Since I'm a fat dude. I may have my RP23 Pushed and valved for my weight. Other than that I just ride it now.

Sherwood did a Great job with the EL Rey. But I personally did not like it in 5 inch mode. Which reminds me, I need to place an MTBR add for the rockers.

No doubt...........however the only thing that can stick on my rides lately is snow !

Expecting up to 6 more friggin inches of the white stuff tonight ! Time for a Pugsley I guess.........its kinda like ridin a 29er with the massive tires right ! TIG.

Captain Underpants

Not an El Rey, but

A Ventana, for sure. One bike I'll be keeping, no question. Gripshifts work great, BTW.

I am also running Stouts now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Single Speed Junkie
    Found some X9SL grip shifts in my (new) spare parts box the other day. Why in the heck do I have all these extra parts?

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    No doubt...........however the only thing that can stick on my rides lately is snow !
    I'm not sure I know what snow is living is wonderful Arizona all my life.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Found some X9SL grip shifts in my (new) spare parts box the other day. Why in the heck do I have all these extra parts?
    Good condition? Do you want to sell them? Will they work with my current X9 dérailleurs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Too many black Ventanas in this thread so I'll break the spell

Still in it's orginal build list as seen here;
    My El Rey has arrived!

Still loving the bike more and more everyday, it really climbs so well. I'm not a 29'er disciple though since my last bike was 11 years old and I don't attribute all the gains from this newer bike to the wheel size.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I have gripshift x-9's on my Bruja and love 'em. stiff accurate shifts in the rear and I really like the ability to trim the front derailleur.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan
    Too many black Ventanas in this thread so I'll break the spell

Still in it's orginal build list as seen here;
    My El Rey has arrived!

Still loving the bike more and more everyday, it really climbs so well. I'm not a 29'er disciple though since my last bike was 11 years old and I don't attribute all the gains from this newer bike to the wheel size.
    Your bike is sooo beautiful , I almost went with this color scheme on my Salty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Your bike is sooo beautiful , I almost went with this color scheme on my Salty.
    Thanks! and props to Ventana and Larry for such nice work.