Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769

    Slightly shorter travel on Ciclon

    Can one fit a 5" (or even 4"?) rocker on the Ciclon frame - with the same 2.25" shock to get just a slightly lower BB height and slacker front?

    I am thinking about what to get for endurance/adventure racing frame. I like the extra travel and slacker angles on Ciclon over Saltmontes, but then I would want it to be run with 150mm-120mm two position Revelation fork, and getting it just a tad lower would be nice.

    I am not thinking about a custom order for $$ reasons.

  2. #2
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,238
    I'm pretty sure you can run the 4 inch rockers with the 2.25 stroke shock but not the 5 inch rockers. But I am sure the Ventana Fanboys will chim in.........

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DAVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    147
    Have you seen this "Special Edition" El Ciclon?

    The Path's custom El Ciclon

    I believe the later (2010) models have slightly different geometry and sizing, but still are "lower and slacker" than stock. These frames are currently available at a discount at The Path Bike Shop. See above thread link for contact info...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I'm pretty sure you can run the 4 inch rockers with the 2.25 stroke shock but not the 5 inch rockers. But I am sure the Ventana Fanboys will chim in.........
    Indeed. Sherwood confirmed that one can use 4" rocker with the stock 2.25" shock to get 110mm travel and lower/slacker geometry. 5" only works with 2" stroke shock.

    That Path edition frame sounds even better - but a bit more expensive, even with the cost of the second rocker, and only in black. I was looking at one of the closeout frames - in candy red, of course. Red is significantly faster.

    Maybe I should just order a custom one. I tend to use my bikes for a very long time, as I always have too many of them.. But I know I still would want two options - to satisfy my need to tinker.

    Currently considering Banshee Spitfire, Chumba VF2 - or waiting for the new Transition Bandit. Spitfire, sight unseen, seems to have exactly the geometry (and adjustable with that) I want. Want to put Revelation 150 dual position, light kit that I already have, and roll all day long.

  5. #5
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Indeed. Sherwood confirmed that one can use 4" rocker with the stock 2.25" shock to get 110mm travel and lower/slacker geometry. 5" only works with 2" stroke shock.

    That Path edition frame sounds even better - but a bit more expensive, even with the cost of the second rocker, and only in black. I was looking at one of the closeout frames - in candy red, of course. Red is significantly faster.

    Maybe I should just order a custom one. I tend to use my bikes for a very long time, as I always have too many of them.. But I know I still would want two options - to satisfy my need to tinker.

    Currently considering Banshee Spitfire, Chumba VF2 - or waiting for the new Transition Bandit. Spitfire, sight unseen, seems to have exactly the geometry (and adjustable with that) I want. Want to put Revelation 150 dual position, light kit that I already have, and roll all day long.
    How much does the BB drop going with 4 inch rockers and 2.25" stroke shock? And how much does the HA change?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Indeed. Sherwood confirmed that one can use 4" rocker with the stock 2.25" shock to get 110mm travel and lower/slacker geometry. 5" only works with 2" stroke shock.

    That Path edition frame sounds even better - but a bit more expensive, even with the cost of the second rocker, and only in black. I was looking at one of the closeout frames - in candy red, of course. Red is significantly faster.

    Maybe I should just order a custom one. I tend to use my bikes for a very long time, as I always have too many of them.. But I know I still would want two options - to satisfy my need to tinker.

    Currently considering Banshee Spitfire, Chumba VF2 - or waiting for the new Transition Bandit. Spitfire, sight unseen, seems to have exactly the geometry (and adjustable with that) I want. Want to put Revelation 150 dual position, light kit that I already have, and roll all day long.

    I can understand the thinking between the Banshee and the Path Ciclon (there have been a few Path on ebay recently, fwiw)...I think that the biggest difference will be the suspension action.

    I think that the V rear end will be better tracking on the way up, remaining more active than the B on the climbs. Does the Spitfire require a slightly larger small ring up front like the Rune does to negate the chain tug?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I can understand the thinking between the Banshee and the Path Ciclon (there have been a few Path on ebay recently, fwiw)...I think that the biggest difference will be the suspension action.

    I think that the V rear end will be better tracking on the way up, remaining more active than the B on the climbs. Does the Spitfire require a slightly larger small ring up front like the Rune does to negate the chain tug?
    I also do prefer low single pivot design - Yeti and Kona are my primary rides for some time. I am not on DW/VPP etc bandwagon. But for this particular application I am shooting for long climbs on smooth fireroads - with occasional out of the saddle effort, and I have heard good things about Spitfire. Willing to think about it. 2/3 of a pound lighter then Ciclon.

    I do use 23t Q-ring for granny - 24t equivalent in downstroke. I wish they would come in 25t.

    But I do like Ventana's ride quite a lot. Maybe El Saltamontes with 110mm through axle SID..

    I kinda gave up on the idea of 29r. Was shopping around for quite a while, and finally decided they do not fit me too well, and I rather have ~120-140mm full suspension 26r with slack geometry and high volume tires.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    How much does the BB drop going with 4 inch rockers and 2.25" stroke shock? And how much does the HA change?
    My guess that if it ends up in the same spot as with 5.5" rocker, that would be ~30mm at the wheel static, so I guess half an inch lower BB and about a degree off the head angle?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Where do you live?

    I have a Path Edition El Ciclon (Med/Lrg) if you would like to try it out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin
    Where do you live?

    I have a Path Edition El Ciclon (Med/Lrg) if you would like to try it out.
    Thanks - but if OC stands for Orange county - I am well north - Bay Area/Peninsula.

    This Path edition sounds very, very tempting. Their list had two 17" in black..

    I just need to squash a weight weenie in me.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    This build, mostly XT, Hope/DT wheels tubeless, with a coil Pike 454 is 32 lbs.


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin
    This build, mostly XT, Hope/DT wheels tubeless, with a coil Pike 454 is 32 lbs.
    I would be shooting for under 28 - with Revelation, XTR, Hope/355/DT4.2 that I have and some ~2.25" tires I have and various weenie bits - including Antares saddle. I already have the whole kit, but the fork, in a box. Goal being comfort. For trashing I have my Kona Coiler, and Transition TransAm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I would be shooting for under 28 - with Revelation, XTR, Hope/355/DT4.2 that I have and some ~2.25" tires I have and various weenie bits - including Antares saddle. I already have the whole kit, but the fork, in a box. Goal being comfort. For trashing I have my Kona Coiler, and Transition TransAm.

    That kit would hit that mark easily.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •