mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Shock upgrade for El Ciclon (prev. generation).

So, just having rebuilt my previous generation ('10) El Ciclon with some nice new wheels, drivetrain, and other neat stuff for the summer, I've stated to notice a lot of pedal bob. I think even more than last summer (rode through winter and spring on my hardtail)...

2 Part question:
    Part one: I've got the Fox RP23 with Boost Valve on atm (which it came with). ProPedal seems to do very very little in terms of pedal bob.
    I run it at around 160-165 psi, which with my setup gives around 20~25% sag. So, besides having it serviced, which I plan to do shortly, are there any newer shocks that are worth considering as an upgrade (the CTDs, DHX, or maybe Monarch, or Monarch Plus?), that offer more of a platform for pedaling, yet still maintain the "plushness" factor?

Part two: I've got it setup as a 1x10 rig. (32t front, 11-36t back), and I was think of upgrading to a RF Narrow/Wide 30t chainring. I've got a pretty clunky, old-ish Blackspire BB-mounted chainguide on right now, and was hoping to only run a bashguard and no chainguide with the new chainring. Is this doable? Any real-world El Ciclon users out there with this sort of setup? Also, how much (if any?) does the size of the chainring up front influence the rear suspension performance?

- Any help, GREATLY appreciated

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Ive been running a 2010 Ciclon with a Van R coil and it has served me well. Took a while to get the right overall spring, but its been perfect. The only realmdetractor of course is weight, but the bike is set upmheavy duty anyways.

Ive heard only good things about the Cane Creek DB in both air and coil versions.

As far as the bob goes, it has never bothered me. Ive learned to pedal smoother and have never felt needing any kind of lockout.

mtbr member
    The CCDB air will be a tight fit if it fits at all. I got the measurements from Cane Creek and it was to tight on my X-5, so I did do it. Somebody on here did get a CCDB air to fit on their El Terremoto.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

No known cure
    I'm using a CCDB coil with a 400lb Ti spring and really like it, although it could use a rebuild.

My drivetrain is 1X9 (36T X 11-34) I'm have a E13/The Hive chainguide with no bash
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the replies. As far as getting a CCDB coil or air, yeah it's probably gonna be a tight fit, as I ride a small frame. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive with the bob'ing, having mainly thrashed my hardtail... It just sort seems that it had gotten worse than I remembered from the last ride.

Plan so far is to have the RP23 checked out, and maybe have it fine-tuned. Still wondering about the Monarch Plus, seems there's a few people out there with them on their Ciclons.

Anyways, again, thanks for the replies.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Member Stripes has a new Ciclon running the DB. maybe give her a PM and ask her opinion!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    Member Stripes has a new Ciclon running the DB. maybe give her a PM and ask her opinion!
    I could run the CCDB, but not the DBair. Newer generations of the CCDB didn't fit in 150mm mode, but worked in 140mm travel.

The CCDB also fit fine on my small X-5 with zero issues.

I ran a 1x10 (30T alternating with an 11-36 10 speed cassette), which was great if I stayed local for short rides. The 28T had way too much bounce on standing and hard climbs for me, but was a better gear. Now that I'm doing longer rides (and ones at higher elevation) I've gone back to a double (26/38t) with 11-36 cassette. YMMV.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women