mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Shock adjustment question about El Bastardo?

Took my bike up to my LBS today to have them dial in my fork and rear shock on my El Bastardo. I have the 5.5" travel Bastard. My LBS the rear shock up with the shock set on 1 and with the propedal disengaged. They set it up so when I sit on the bike and then get off the shock moved about 25-30% and the fork was set up with the same movement. Does this sound about right? I know a lot of this is subjective and depends on the trails I ride and such but my LBS said that his setup was a good starting point.

Thanks,

Chuck

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    That sounds about right. It is considered a good base line to start at. Chuch, do you have a shock pump? If not invest in a good quality one and you can very easily change the air spring rates based on your preferences and riding style. When sitting on the bike, you want to have what is called "sag." A base sag can be in the 25-30% range, some people have it a little less, 15-20%, but that may be too firm.

I'm not riding an air shock on my El Ciclon, bu t I have the fork at 20% sag and the rear at 25% for my xc/am riding. For more DH oriented trails or shuttly, I switch to 30-35% and a softer spring rate for more plushness.

But if you don't have the shock pump, get one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    That sounds about right. It is considered a good base line to start at. Chuch, do you have a shock pump? If not invest in a good quality one and you can very easily change the air spring rates based on your preferences and riding style. When sitting on the bike, you want to have what is called "sag." A base sag can be in the 25-30% range, some people have it a little less, 15-20%, but that may be too firm.

I'm not riding an air shock on my El Ciclon, bu t I have the fork at 20% sag and the rear at 25% for my xc/am riding. For more DH oriented trails or shuttly, I switch to 30-35% and a softer spring rate for more plushness.

But if you don't have the shock pump, get one.
    I have a shock pump and use it to keep the fork on my El Padrino pumped to a certain pressure that I know I like. I just had never adjusted my rear shock on my Bastard. Now that it has been done I can do it myself in the future.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I have a shock pump and use it to keep the fork on my El Padrino pumped to a certain pressure that I know I like. I just had never adjusted my rear shock on my Bastard. Now that it has been done I can do it myself in the future.
    Fantasitc!! BTW......congrats on an AWESOME bike!

NedwannaB
    I just had never adjusted my rear shock on my Bastard. Now that it has been done I can do it myself in the future.
    Curious to what your riding weight is, which rear shock model and what pressure you (lbs) ended up using running the sag at the 25-30%?

Thanks in advance
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Curious to what your riding weight is, which rear shock model and what pressure you (lbs) ended up using running the sag at the 25-30%?

Thanks in advance
    Not sure what you mean by riding weight but on a scale I weigh 165. My rear shock is the Fox RP23 with pro pedal and it is setup with 110 lbs of pressure.

NedwannaB

Riding weight as in all geared up!

Not sure what you mean by riding weight but on a scale I weigh 165. My rear shock is the Fox RP23 with pro pedal and it is setup with 110 lbs of pressure.
    Ok thanks. That's way less than I've been running at my 140#'s.
    I have the 4"/100mm rear travel linkage on my bike presently and have to bump up the shock psi to keep pedal strikes to a minimum. Will be able to readjust setting a little softer when I get the 140mm travel set up in back.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Riding weight as in all geared up!
    This. Makes a big difference to setup your suspension with your pack on (and in my case, the heavy 5.10 shoes too) to get an accurate feel of the suspension settings and how they'll feel on the trail. I did this two weeks ago--huge difference in my setup. Needed to firm up the fork considerably.

Last time I did this without all my gear, the suspension didn't get setup right, and I couldn't figure out why. Definitely get geared up when setting up your suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah when I setup my suspension I had on jeans, a T-shirt, an Arctreryx softshell and Ecco casual shoes. When I ride here in Michigan I just wear riding shorts, a riding shirt and riding shoes. All I have on my back is a small camelback. If it is cold I'll throw on an Arcteryx gore tex shell. So I'd say that what I had on when I setup my suspension was close enough to what I'll be wearing when riding, give or take a few pounds.