mtbr member
    Jan 2008

salty with talas, any support? :)

FOX talas give me 100-120-140mm travel and my salty is 4inch.

will the combination just a waste of money or something good?

will salty 4inch able to handle 140mm without possibility of damages to the frame.

the reason for this thinking is having my salty able to follow my friend in downhill fun on the week end without loosing my best fun of 100mm XC riding

greeting from Indonesia

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As far as potential damage to the frame goes, I really don't know. Probably best to email Teresa or S'wood. I can say that I've been running my 4" Salty with a Vanilla 130mm fork for more than a year, and strongly prefer it to any other setup I've tried. I even own a set of 5" rockers, but prefer the geometry with the 4" rockers. The bb is lower and the head angle is more slack, both assets in the fast and rocky singletrack of my local mountain range (San Gabriels). With a toe strap I can even "cinch" the fork down for extended steep climbs--though you'd obviously not need to resort to such tactics with the Talas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dyusmananda

will salty 4inch able to handle 140mm without possibility of damages to the frame.

the reason for this thinking is having my salty able to follow my friend in downhill fun on the week end without loosing my best fun of 100mm XC riding
    I'm using the 100-120-140 talas with my 5" salty. It's a very versatile set-up. I use 120 for almost all my riding, but extended or especially steep climbs benefit from the 100 setting, and I really like the 140 for steep or extended downhills. I don't use the shortest or longest settings that much, but I really appreciate the change in geometry and height when I do. Obviously, with the 4" setting things are going to be a bit different for you, and you might find the 100mm setting more comfortably for all around riding than I do. For downhill fun, I don't think the 140 would be too slack, but I'm not sure and I imagine it's a matter of personal preference, too. As for whether the frame is strong enough, that sounds like something for Sherwood to answer.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah.. the 140mm does put more leverage on the headtube so, do check with ventana first...

but yeah..the Salty does behave with a bit more travel up front...I have run mine with a Revelation @ 115mm and a Pike @ 110mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yeah.. the 140mm does put more leverage on the headtube so, do check with ventana first...

but yeah..the Salty does behave with a bit more travel up front...I have run mine with a Revelation @ 115mm and a Pike @ 110mm
    ...then which bizarre travel for your poor ET are you using for ? ...200..??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i believe sherwood only allow me to go to as far as 130mm with 4" rocker ...

how bout rockshox revelation 85-130mm, anybody have ever tried this model.

thing that i dont like they dont have preset travel like fox talas

Quote Originally Posted by Nikto
    ...then which bizarre travel for your poor ET are you using for ? ...200..??

LOL

nah...160mm on the ET, just as designed

I am only 10-15mm over the "designed travel"..and I use good sag...and the Pike looks good on it

Salty with Pikes

mtbr member
    ...only pure envy, you Know !

looks pretty Salty-Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Nikto
    ...only pure envy, you Know !

looks pretty Salty-Pike

i believe sherwood only allow me to go to as far as 130mm with 4" rocker ...

how bout rockshox revelation 85-130mm, anybody have ever tried this model.

thing that i dont like they dont have preset travel like fox talas

A revelation is a great option....it performs great...but you are right, the talas travel settings are hard to beat...

as I said before I also run a Revelation (non uturn) and it works great....

the Revelation 85-130 is the coil U-turn model and the 100-130mm is the air-uturn...personally I'd get the Air Uturn and save a bit of weight (but that is a personal choice )

here's the Salty with the RVL @ 115mm
    Salty's first ride
    Last edited by crisillo; 02-09-2008 at 03:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

greeting from Indonesia

I ran a 140mm vanilla on my salty. I called sherwood and asked him about it and he said it was fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rev air U-turn on my salty with 4 inch rockers.

Usually run it about 115/120. Nicely balanced for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    and you use 4 inch rocker, don't you, Three Phase?

pls confirm your confirmation on your rocker size will be my ticket to forget about revelation and jump directly to talas

Right Crisillo?

was the question addressed to me or Three Phase?

(I do run 4" rockers)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    was the question addressed to me or Three Phase?

(I do run 4" rockers)
    you are right. this is for three phase, I already edit the posting. sorry.

talking bout combination of Pike and Rev, you use them in substitution mode (Rev for XC fun and Pike for DH or FR maybe?) or not?

I am thinking of having only one bike ( my 4" salty) for all needs (XC,AM,DH,and FR) ... am I too much here?

talking bout combination of Pike and Rev, you use them in substitution mode (Rev for XC fun and Pike for DH or FR maybe?) or not?

I am thinking of having only one bike ( my 4" salty) for all needs (XC,AM,DH,and FR) ... am I too much here?

The salty is strong...but it is a trail bike, NOT a FR bike...don't huck it!!!

I just used the Pike because I like the through axle and I already had it around from my previous bike....I had only had the Salty for a couple of months..so I am still "playing with the setup"

I have a Terremoto for rougher stuff...but most of my local riding is just XC, so the Salty gets out more...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yes, I was running it in 4inch mode with the 140mm Vanilla up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    Yes, I was running it in 4inch mode with the 140mm Vanilla up front.
    thks friends, i decided to change to talas then.

I am not a down hiller but last week when I use my Salty to follow my DHer friends, i just have a feel that 140mm travel of talas will help me from the needs to buy transition blindside if you know what i mean

140mm makes me become the trailblazer in DH tracks hehehe and definitely i will never push my salty to become DH gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

greeting from Indonesia
    My cuz has that same setup and really digs it. He also checked with Sherwood and was told to go for it. The frame would handle it just fine. You can see his Salt on MTBPath
    Enter to Win a Vassago Frame and support the fight against childhood cancer

MTB Path, Southeastern mountain bikers