mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Salty with six inch rockers.....

I recently purchased a Salty with quad bearings, six inch rockers and the eight inch Romic options. I was a little sceptical on how efficient it would be coming from a 4" travel trail bike (XCE). Although I haven't ridden it on true mountain bike trails yet due to the weather(still too wet), I'm quite surprised as to how well it climbs. I don't notice any difference in efficiency now that I have 6" of rear travel. The Romic is really doing it's job and I'm quite satisfied. I'll post more when I'm able to ride some "real" trails.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by batrastard
    I recently purchased a Salty with quad bearings, six inch rockers and the eight inch Romic options. I was a little sceptical on how efficient it would be coming from a 4" travel trail bike (XCE). Although I haven't ridden it on true mountain bike trails yet due to the weather(still too wet), I'm quite surprised as to how well it climbs. I don't notice any difference in efficiency now that I have 6" of rear travel. The Romic is really doing it's job and I'm quite satisfied. I'll post more when I'm able to ride some "real" trails.
    What fork are you running? What is the difference if any on the BB height?

Bike Hoor
    I can chime in here since batrastard and I built the bike together.....

The BB is higher, yes. But for a taller rider, it's not quite so pronounced. With the 8" Romic (for 6" travel), the sag is a bit greater, so overall, the BB is the same height as if you were using the 7.75" Romic and 6" Rockers.

The fork we put on there is the Z1 FR and it is a great match with it's longer axle to crown. The bike feels very balanced, although a bit on the high side.. but for batrastard, it's a good match. I would say that if you are 6'1" or greater, it works very well.

Incidentally, that bike of his is about as beautiful as they come. He needs to get a picture taken and post it. I am guessing he needs to figure out his digital camera first though. :P
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yep...it's a Z1..

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    What fork are you running? What is the difference if any on the BB height?
    Great fork so far although I haven't been able to put it to the test yet as stated before. Give this area another couple of weeks to dry up a bit and I'll be able to tell you more. The one thing I'll be curious to find out is how it reacts on some of our slow technical rides seeing how it does have a slightly higher bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ya....ya....

I won a digital camera about a year ago and I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to use it yet. I'll have to get on that.