mtbr member

Salty = Clyde Race

Once again, my 04 Salt continues to be the go to bike. At the 24 hours of old pueblo this weekend, I planned to do two laps on the Salt and 2 on an 08 GF Rig which is now a 25.5 lb 27 speed with a deuce xc and x-9 for "scientific data" and to end the wheelsize debate forever . The rig also is tubeless and running crossmax wheels, so it is a fast bike. For comparasin, the salt is a large with full XT760, Juicy 7, Reba Team U-turn ran at 100mm, adjustable rocker ran in 4", hope ProII DT 4.1 tubless wheels from oddsandendos and nevegal 1.95 ran with stans. This tips the scales at around 26.5 lbs.

The course is rather twisty, and this year twistier than before with less fire road stuff. For perspective of the conditions, I spoke with RC from MTB Action out testing a niner rip 9 and he thought that was just too much bike for the trail.

My 2 laps on the Salt were my fastest laps (1st and last laps). I also felt fresher and had more fun carving and jumping. Downside is that on long steady climbs, my salt with a pushed float and no lockout or lever starts to feel less efficient than the hardtail. I might need an RP23 upgrade. I am sure that this is partially technique driven as i tended to push bigger gears more slowly on the ht and spin the salt for some reason.

I keep looking for the salt replacement as in El Rey, Cicclon, or other, but I think this bike is just unreplaceable in the arsenal and can do too many things. Not a road bike and too steep to be a great all mtn bike on big boulders at my skill level, but great at most everything in between!

Disclaimer: For entertainment purposes only.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Then along comes the introduction of an El Bastardo sportin 27.5 " wheels that might give you a bit quicker handling on tight twisty trails than a 29er yet roll over obstacles and carry momentum a tad better than a 26er ! Then again I heard its going to be offered in 5" travel which seems geared more towards tech xc trail than race use I suppose ! All these choices makes my head hurt..........is there really such thing as the perfect bike ? TIG.

Ultra Ventanaphile

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    is there really such thing as the perfect bike ? TIG.

Whichever one I'm riding at the time....
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    No doubt..............but its 13 below zero and snowy here right now so I have time to ponder these questions till riding season ! TIG.

mtbr member
    27.5 is appealing. I actually prefer the salt in 5" rear mode and 115 up front for trail and do feel to far over the hub on tech steep stuff in any setup I've tried. It is a very neatral bike for me that is intuitive at speed and seemingly bulletproof after 4 years of NY mud and 1 year in the desert. 27.5 may be the best of both worlds after all.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice post, Scott!

Salty is great

desert dweller
    Salty's rock. I pulled my 5" inch rockers Saturday morning before my laps at the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo and by the end was several minutes faster than my buddies on Blur LTs and Intense 5.5s. Of course it had to be the bike!

mbb

mtbr member
    By "pulled" do you mean used or replaced with 4" rockers? What year salt and do you have an RP23?

It must be the bike! However, that would mean that I need Kona for next year so i can run 1 hour laps. ftr: I am not even sure if the kona team raced Konas...

Where were you at? I saw no Ventanas at the event. I would have flagged you down if seen. For the record, I also don't remember any LTs or Intense 5.5. I did see several Racer X. A lot of Monocog 29ers, old hardtails and tons of specialized stuff.

mtbr member
    Also, do you ever get asked by guys on specialized "whats a ventana?"? I do.

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Scottamontes
    By "pulled" do you mean used or replaced with 4" rockers? What year salt and do you have an RP23?

It must be the bike! However, that would mean that I need Kona for next year so i can run 1 hour laps. ftr: I am not even sure if the kona team raced Konas...

Where were you at? I saw no Ventanas at the event. I would have flagged you down if seen. For the record, I also don't remember any LTs or Intense 5.5. I did see several Racer X. A lot of Monocog 29ers, old hardtails and tons of specialized stuff.

Yep, I switched to 4" rockers and I run a standard Float R (I just added a little more air to stiffen her up a bit.)and a Rock Shox Revelation wound down to 100mm of travel We were camped out on Hayes Brakes Rd. I have a ride report in the passion forum with some pics of the guys and our pit area with our rigs.

mbb

Edit: I have an '07 main frame, '05 rear triangle (soon to be replaced since I crashed in December and dented and bent the drive side seat stay.

mtbr member

Quite an adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    I have a ride report in the passion forum with some pics of the guys and our pit area with our rigs.
    mbb

I was right off Epic ride rd on Boogey about 50 yards from the ditch that drove the trailer into the back of the RV. What did tha sound like from inside? It was quite a bang from where I was. I hope the RV is allright.

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Scottamontes
    I was right off Epic ride rd on Boogey about 50 yards from the ditch that drove the trailer into the back of the RV. What did tha sound like from inside? It was quite a bang from where I was. I hope the RV is allright.

The RV is fine -- since it was a toy hauler it has a steel loading ramp hanging off the back. We just heard a loud crunch when we smashed the trailer, dug a nice furrow in the ground and lost the spare tire --- in one shot.

mbb

Baller/Biker

Question for all the Salt Racers?

Ive got a Salty in a size 20 and it weighs around 27.9...How much are your bikes (that your racing) weigh?

mtbr member
    I come in around 27 even with my light wheelset. 30 with the trail wheelset.

Light wheelset - Hope ProII, Supercomp w/alloy, DT 4.1 w/DT tubeless kit, Nevegal 1.95 stansed. Bareley 7 lbs. karmas shave almost another 1/2 pound, but are too fragile for arizona under me imo.

Trail wheelset - mavic crossland, Nevegal 2.35s w/stans. Almost 10 lbs and stick-e.

The wheels and tires make a huge difference for applications and the Salt deserves two setups.

desert dweller
    Mine used to be around 27.5 for a 20" with a Marzocchi Marathon SL and avid bb7s, Easton Carbon flat bars with carbon titec bar-ends. Now she's built a little more all mountain with a Rockshox Revelation, Avid Juicy 7s, Monkeylite carbon bars and magnesium Ergon grip/bar ends -- I'm gussing around 28 (but haven't weighed her).

One of these days I'll get around to it.

mbb