mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Good job! RP23 canister sizes

I have an cilcon and a friend has a 5-spot. Both have rp23 rear shocks, and I have noticed that the can on the turner is much larger than on my bike. I have heard that you can get different sized canisters, and what is the advantage of bigger or smaller units? Cheers

mtbr member
    Larger can gives your more linear travel.

The smaller can ramps up faster to a harsher feeling.
    Pros less chance of bottoming out.
    Cons harsher ride over the bigger stuff!

Also I now ride a bike with a custom tuned RP23 and there is no comparison in ride soooo much better.
    I read about pushed shocks for years, now I am a believer.
    I would not ride a bike with a factory shock anymore.
    Maybe Sherwood should consider fitting custom shocks tuned to Ventana linkage like Titus bikes!

Steve another Kiwi rider.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty 1
    Maybe Sherwood should consider fitting custom shocks tuned to Ventana linkage like Titus bikes!
    it seems they do (up to a point)... I ordered an RP23 from Chad @ Red Barn for my Terremoto..I was going over the options and asking ...and he told me he recommended to go wiith the "stock Ventana settings", meaning he would just tell fox the model of the bike and Fox will provide the tune for it.... but at least there some "tune" chose by the manufacturer for that particular model.

of course, this is not as custom as Push...by far... but still there are 3 rebound levels, 3 propedal levels, canister sizes...and who knows what else Fox "tunes" to the different brands...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 2007 Spot had the large can and while it was plush and nice-feeling, I decided to switch to the smaller can and then go back and forth a few times. I found the smaller can to be firmer but also results in the bike pedaling a bit snappier. I had the smaller cans on both my Ventanas and on those, I personally would not use the larger can. The feel of the X-5 and Salty was linear enough. I weigh 185 so maybe 195 with a full Camelbak.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Turner has a larger leverage ratio, so it actually makes sense to use a smaller can. When I spoke with Darren at PUSH, he recommended a large can for the leverage ratio of my "El Ciclamontes", i.e. Hammerhead 125.