Proud lame eBiker

Rough week, another Ciclon into the Wild.

I've had a rough week of being way to busy for my own good at the shop. I guess that's good, but it hasn't afforded me any time to build my own new sweet ride that's starting to wonder why I hate her instead of loving her by giving her some build/ride time.
    I digress....here's a pictorial of a Ciclon I built for a customer this Friday. Ran out to Venatana HQ and grabbe dteh frame and then to the shop by 11. Had to wait until 2pm for UPS to arrive with all the goodies to build her up. Here's some specs....

2009 El Ciclon, 19", Candy Red. RP23. 5.5" rockers. 6.9lbs.
    RS Pike 454 fork
    SRAM X.0 Rear Der.
    SRAM X.9 Frt. Der.
    SRAM X.0 Trigger Shifters
    SRAM PG990 11-34 cogset red spider.
    SRAM PC991 x-stamped chain
    Avid Elixir CR brakeset 185/160mm rotors.
    RaceFace Deus cranks and BB.
    Thomson Elite seatpost.
    Thomson X4 stem.
    WTB Rocket V saddle Ti rails.
    Hope Headset, Blue.
    Hope Seatpost quickrelease, Blue.
    ODI Ruffian Lock-On grips with Red Locks.
    Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL pedals with Blue spring.
    Hope Pro II hubset, Blue.
    Stans ZTR FLOW rims.
    DT Competition spokes.
    Red Alloy nipples.
    Kenda Nevegal UST tyres. 2.35 frt and 2.1 rear. with a scoop of Stans in each.

30.25 lbs. with Garmin, pedals, and bottle cage mounted. (seemed more than I thought it was going to be, guess that RS fork is pretty porky.)

And now for the pics....
    1: Stock Frame
    2: Some bling to get her started
    3: Some post bling
    4: Pretty much perfect build
    5: Notice the colors...you're getting sleepy, veeery sleepy...
    6: Erik the Happy Owner.
    He called today to tell me how great the first ride was. We had a beautifully sunny day, first one in two weeks plus. And tomorrow starts another week of rain/bitter cold. Yeah I was real happy to hear he was out tearing it up and I was slogging away on the next bike project for the next customer. ;-p I love my job, really I do!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    I think he'll be smiling even more after riding that one.

Looks nice.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

spider-bike

Yes, I am that proud new owner of the blinged out El Ciclon. I did get it out today for its virgin ride. Yes, smiling even wider now. Everything that I hoped for and more. Went on a pretty long China Camp ride with pretty big group and after we go back to the cars, everyone else left and i went back into the park for some more. Very nice. No complaints what-so-ever. One of my buddies said that with all the red and blue it looked like a bike spiderman would ride. So he dubbed it spider-bike (..spider-bike, spider-bike .does whatever a spider-bike does...). I kinda like that. Might even look for a spiderweb stick-on I can put on it...

Anyway, it rides like a dream. And if anyone doubts that Myke at Velocity (Winters, CA) has almightly mechanic skills, then explain to me this photo I shot of him while he was putting my bike together! huh huh??! (plus there is a chain lube spill on his work bench that looks exactly like the Virgin Mary, so there you go...)

Thanks again Myke. Many happy days ahead I'm sure...

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by chainiac
    And if anyone doubts that Myke at Velocity (Winters, CA) has almightly mechanic skills, then explain to me this photo I shot of him while he was putting my bike together! huh huh??! (plus there is a chain lube spill on his work bench that looks exactly like the Virgin Mary, so there you go...)

Thanks again Myke. Many happy days ahead I'm sure...
    Spokie headed Halo....must be the incarnate himself I tell ya.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Fearless Descender
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I've met this guy before.......he leads some bike cult in Winters......one cool dude

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt

hahhaha Nice one El Salt! Nicely played guys.

I may steal that photo and place it prominently on the front page of the website....and make a big evangelican poster and slap it in the front window of the shop proclaiming "He" builds them the best....something along those lines.

Chainiac-best thing comes to those who wait, eh?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    mmmmm purty

So is your face
    Very very pretty. I mean the bike.
    Last edited by celluloid hero; 12-22-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

CEO Product Failure
    What are the rotor sizes in inches? What's the rear getting?

Awesome build.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    What are the rotor sizes in inches? What's the rear getting?

Awesome build.
    185mm front...7.28inches
    160mm rear...6.3inches

"What's the rear getting?"....you mean besides a good flogging?

Oh...you mean travel, maybe? 5.5" or 140mm.

CEO Product Failure
    Kinda...no. I meant, which rotor size is the rear getting. Just as an FYI to everyone on this board, if you run anything larger than a 6" rotor (I'm sure 160mm is fine) please do talk to Sherwood.

There does exist an option for those of us inclined to run large rotors on our frames. Sherwood knows his stuff, so spend a $.25 and call him.

-B

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Kinda...no. I meant, which rotor size is the rear getting. Just as an FYI to everyone on this board, if you run anything larger than a 6" rotor (I'm sure 160mm is fine) please do talk to Sherwood.

There does exist an option for those of us inclined to run large rotors on our frames. Sherwood knows his stuff, so spend a $.25 and call him.

-B

Yeah if you feel the need for a larger rotor in the back and you're a heavy rider, or like to do drops and land with the back brake locked for the all to fast approaching corner, you might want to look into the Heady Duty Swingarm. It has a double gusset on the left chainstay to handle the extra loads, as well as an extra gusset on the driveside of the chainstay yoke.

Worth it to me to do the upgrade. I definitely went for the upgraded swingarm for my new Chucho!

Spin-stabilized
    Nice! Looks like someone had an epiphany(not the Ells. bike) while traveling through SE Asia .
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Members who have read this thread: 0