mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Romic on Pantera

I have a question about putting a Romic on my Pantera.

I first mounted the swingarm (rear) end of the shock. Put the bolt throught the swingarm, then the shock and finally it threads into the other side of the swingarm. Per Sherwood, I tighten the bolt to 90 in - lbs. At this point I notice the shock does not swing freely. Actually, it's very stiff and hard to raise it up to the bracket on the frame to mount the forward nut and bolt.

Is this right? Should it be this stiff? Or should it swing freely (when only the swingarm end of the shock is mounted)?

Thanks,
    LeonD

aka Willy Vanilly
    I think that's right. The FS bikes I've had have shocks that don't really swing around when you install the hardware.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonD
    I have a question about putting a Romic on my Pantera.

I first mounted the swingarm (rear) end of the shock. Put the bolt throught the swingarm, then the shock and finally it threads into the other side of the swingarm. Per Sherwood, I tighten the bolt to 90 in - lbs. At this point I notice the shock does not swing freely. Actually, it's very stiff and hard to raise it up to the bracket on the frame to mount the forward nut and bolt.

Is this right? Should it be this stiff? Or should it swing freely (when only the swingarm end of the shock is mounted)?

Thanks,
    LeonD
    That's right because if it could move freely in that type of bushing it would manifest itself as an annoying top out klunck whenever you picked up the rear of the bike. Play in bushings is a no-no. Someday they might actually put some type of bearing there, but until then, bushing it is.

It really isn't too big of a problem however as the shock only rotates a couple of degrees when the rear end is cycled through its entire travel. And you can have as much as 2000 lbs of load on that bushing during use so clearances tend to open up and rotation becomes relatively unimpeded.

I can't ride 45!

Another Pantera rear shock question

Sherwood,

Thanks for the great bikes and answering questions here on the mtbr site. Do you have a moment to comment on another Pantera rear shock question that I asked a few weeks ago...

New Rear Shock for Pantera: ProPedal or Swinger (x-post)