mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Rocker setting vs shock stroke vs rear wheel travel idiots guide please.

Am i right in assuming a 2.25" shock on a 6" rocker gives 6" travel and a 2" shock gives about 5.3" travel on the same 6" rocker?

What is the relationship when used on a 5" rocker ? Is it similar, if so what does a 2" stroke shock give in rear wheel travel when on a 5" rocker setting?

and finally does the X5/El Ciclon come from sherwood with 2" stroke Fox Float R's on a 5" rocker as standard. Because i'm sure you can only get a fox Float R in the 2" stroke. So this is contadictory to my assumption above.

cheers
    in advance

2.25 stroke shock on the adjustable 5/6 rocker gives you the true 5 and 6 inches.

2.00 stroke shock on the adjustable 5/6 rocker gives you the 4.3/5.3 scenario.

The Ciclon comes standard with a 7.875 x 2.00 RP23 and 5" rocker.

Long story short...the 4 and 5 inch rockers are set up for a 2" stroke shock and the adjustable 5/6 and 6" are set up for a 2.25" stroke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    all now becomes clear

thanks.

melon farmer

2.25" stroke shock with 5" rockers??

Has anyone tried to use a 2.25" stroke shock with the stock 5" rockers on an X5? I'm guessing it'll make the headangle a little steeper and maybe raise the BB height?

I have an old x5 front triangle and seatstay that needs rockers and a chainstay to get it mobile again, but only have a 2.25" stroke RP23 to put on it. I spose I could just get 5/6 adjustable rockers, but I like the look of the dedicated 5" rockers.

If anyone has some suitable Ventana spares laying around, drop me a PM...

cheers

Marcus

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis

I have an old x5 front triangle and seatstay that needs rockers and a chainstay to get it mobile again, but only have a 2.25" stroke RP23 to put on it. I spose I could just get 5/6 adjustable rockers, but I like the look of the dedicated 5" rockers.
    But there is the option of getting only 6" rockers, isn't it?

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by toponoto
    But there is the option of getting only 6" rockers, isn't it?
    Absolutely, but I really only want the 5" setting as I have a Terremoto as well...
    Last edited by marcus_dukakis; 01-30-2008 at 03:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ok, then it's not just a look issue.

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by toponoto
    Ok, then it's not just a look issue.
    Ahh... no, it's a matter of travel (i really only need 5") AND aesthetics (I have had the 5/6" adjustable rockers in the past and prefer the look of a single mounting point rocker), but it's all pointless if the 2.25" stroke shock with 5" rockers is going to complete bugger up the X5 geometry.. then I'll have no choice but to get the 5/6" rockers and learn to deal with the fact that I find 'em ugly.

PS - apologies to the OP for the threadjack.

Unfit Norwegian
    Has anyone tried to use a 2.25" stroke shock with the stock 5" rockers on an X5? I'm guessing it'll make the headangle a little steeper and maybe raise the BB height?
    As long as the shock has the same eye-to-eye, the geometry won't change, but with stock rockers and a longer stroke shock, I suspect that your chainstay yoke hits the seat tube before the shock bottoms out, with potential damage to both.

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    As long as the shock has the same eye-to-eye, the geometry won't change, but with stock rockers and a longer stroke shock, I suspect that your chainstay yoke hits the seat tube before the shock bottoms out, with potential damage to both.
    Ahhhh yes, I knew I'd asked the same silly question before and you're dead right.. so it looks like it's the 5/6" rocker for me... (my shock is 7.875 x 2.25 and I need 7.875 x 2) unnles I get PUSH to decrease the travel for me, which I believe is do-able (but expensive for us Austr-aliens)

cheers!

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

If anyone has some suitable Ventana spares laying around, drop me a PM...

cheers

Marcus
    I recently fitted a 2.25 stroke shock on an El Ciclon with 5" rockers, and did not break anything while I was using it. I did not notice any difference in the ride. One of my customers is using it on his X5 at the moment to compare the ride of a coil to an air shock. Maybe he will give his opinion later.

Hey Marcus...

I believe I saw some shiny new looking 5" Ciclon rockers in my garage this morning...

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Hey Marcus...

I believe I saw some shiny new looking 5" Ciclon rockers in my garage this morning...
    Hahahaha - Robb, we may just have to do a re-exchange of rockers! cheers. Now if I can find a spare chainstay somewhere (and slip this under the household financial radar), I'm good to go.