Ultra Ventanaphile

Retro Rebirth - Marble Peak FS.

The past few weeks my buddy's son has been waiting for his frame to come back from repairs, and I felt bad that he couldn't ride, so I offered up my "Spare" bike.

My Raleigh M50, hardtail that sees 95% commuter duty.
    Sadly, it did not survive the experience. To Raleigh's credit, they are not hesitating on the warranty and are shipping me a new frame already. But where others see the tragedy of a dead frame, I saw the opportunity to build up, yet another Ventana!

Or in this case my Retro Ventana, circa 1999 Marble Peak FS.
    I decided I needed to stay true to it's heritage and kept as many of the parts on it to that era technology. 8 Speed LX Drivetrain, LX V-brakes. even a 99 WTB SST saddle. I must give thanks to my buddy Steve who donated a vintage XT Hub to Bontrager Mustang ASYM rear wheel, that matches my Front wheel.

Not quite complete yet, I still need to run the derrailler cables but should be able to commute on her tomorrow. (too bad I'm on vacation starting tonight!)

Here are the pics..

Pic 1) Death of my M50 - the crack is nearly 1/8" wide.
    Pic 2) Goes about 2/3 around the tube. 3 years of service from a $350 complete bike (to start) I can't complain.
    Pic 3) Retro ReBirth! 18" Marble Peak.
    Pic 4) Close up of the Rocker, 6 years old and the Powder coat Still looks good.
    Pic 5) I may buy a new sticker kit to "Freshen Up" the look of the frame, but I like the worn look too.

Hope you all enjoy a Retro Flashback....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Having a nice day!
    Raleighs must be good starter bikes for a lot of people. Mine was an M60. Still have the frame. Maybe it will become a single speed some day down the road. As for that Marble Peak, that does look nice, except for where some fool carved his initials on it!

Ultra Ventanaphile

Stickers...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    Raleighs must be good starter bikes for a lot of people. Mine was an M60. Still have the frame. Maybe it will become a single speed some day down the road. As for that Marble Peak, that does look nice, except for where some fool carved his initials on it!
    Do not fret, those initials are A) Not mine and B) just cheap curling up stickers.

A O S are the initials of the person who "sponsored" my first Ventana purchase.

The other side has M M S for the other sponser.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Raleigh's, my very first commuter bike was an R50 Road bike that I used 5 days a week for two years. (I didn't own a car). When it was stolen I got the M50. Sometime next week I'll get my new M50 frame.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought a Raleigh M-80 in 1998 to commute to work every day here in NYC. I commute year round through snow etc... 2 years ago I found a crack at the headtube. Raleigh replaced it with a new, nicer M-80 frame with disc mount and headset and no stickers or head badge on the frame so it is super-stealth...jet black. White Brothers SC-90 (came on my old Marble Peak), new LX crank (awesome) all XT etc..... great bike.

I'm laughing at all the commuters with the strike we've got going on now.... For me it's business as usual.

Ride on.

CR