Cars Hurt.
    May 2009

Replacement fork for 2011 El Capitan.

Hey there.

I currently have a 2011 El Capitan 23" with a Fox F29 FIT 120mm fork. It has too much stiction, is flexy, low speed compression adjustment seems to do nothing, and so on.

Would it be best to stick to a 120mm fork or can the frame handle a 130-140mm? I do mostly trail riding with some all mountain.

My frame limits me to straight steers.
    Front wheel is 15mm QR.
    I'd prefer white to match my color scheme.

Any suggestions? I realize the specifics might be hard to match.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    The frame itself should be fine to handle the 130-140mm travel fork. But do you want the side effects of the longer A to C? Only you can decide that. Remember for every 20mm or so, you are slackening the head angle a full degree and raising the BB ~ 10mm.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I think the slacker head angle would be fine (stock is 71.5). The BB drop is a maybe. I'm looking at the White Brothers Loop, Revelation, and Reba.

I checked out the new models geometry and was surprised by how different they are. In 23" the top tube is .6" longer, 2.3" longer wheelbase, the headtube is 3.1 degrees slacker :-0 The 71.5 degree head angle on the 2011 seems steep based on the numbers but it doesn't handle terribly. Downhill is a bit twitchy. When I built this in 2011 it was hard to find bikes with ETTs over 25". Now I see Kona and other large brands offering models with 26" ETT.

It would be nice to have a tapered steerer for more fork choices, and a larger seatpost since the only models of adjustable posts in 27.2mm aren't setback.