mtbr member

Refurbishing my trusty El Saltamontes...

i know, i know - this might be of minor interest hence everybody is waiting for the new v... but maybe someone is having a peek in here ....

ok, I want to get a spray of new paint on my salty (or get it powdercoated again). I know, that some of you have done this before and I kindly want to ask for your advice. Do I need to remove the pivot bolts (and if, how? ) or can they be masked somehow? I know, the best answers might come from the painter/powdercoating company but i'm so super excited

thanks for your help - i'll keep you posted for sure!

XC legs,
    DH balls...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I've got three words for you Trade In Program To my knowledge those pivot points are next to impossible to remove by an end-user. I would plug the threads and mask the pivot surface. Or if you can send it back to Ventana.

mtbr member
    well, thanks for the quick reply! i think trade-in is not an option, it's an old frame (03) and i won't get too much for it (although i'd love to have one of the new 29ers - even if i don't know how they'll look ) and shipping costs would exceed the price for a new paint by far...

i'll go for the masking option
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

Proud lame eBiker
    El Saltamontes....if you want to do it right....get a heat gun and heat up the aluminum around the pivot. This will expand it a bit, but also soften up the RED loc-tite. (Now, I know we've all been told Red LocTite means it'll never come out, but I've done it and seen it done....)

Grab yourself a good size set of Locking Channel Locks and grab ahold of the nub of the pivot sticking out away from the frame. Nice and tight you don't want to have it slip.
    And now rotate it out of the frame.

Annnnnd....repeat, again, and again, and again to get all of them out.

Now hopefully before you started this you called Ventana and had then ship you some pivots so that when you get the frame back from powdercoating you can slip those new nuggets in with some red loc-tite and a little home-made tool to seat those bad boys in nice and tight.

OR, you could just mask them off.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Ok, ok masking is the way to go for me. I'll ask the coating company anyways, they've got experience in such stuff so they will know. And if they don't i can still send it off to sherwood

thanks for your help...
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

mtbr member
    All right - not too much happened and everyone seems to be stoked to see the new Ventanas (so am I). I think not many of you will be interested in this, but I'll post it anyways - and if it's only for my own records

What happened since my last post?

I decided to get the frame chemically stripped, which seems to be the most gentle method. Maybe I'll have it blasted with very little pressure and aluminum oxide - referring to the foreman in the metal working company this seems to be the best method. This depends on what my painter says - paintjob will be very, very exclusive

Alright - as for the parts you need to know that I was kind of abusing my Salty over the time. I had it in a kind of a XC-trim as well as a 150mm trailbike (5" rockers and 6" fork). But now I want to run it with 4" rockers and a 90-130mm TALAS fork - should work well. I'm also planning to watch weight (a little at least) so I'll be going non-quadbearing and lighter parts...

Well, this is the parts list:

Frame Salty 2794,0
    Rear Shock Fox RP23 213,0
    Fork Fox Talas R 1850,0
    HeadSet CK NoThreadSet 98,0
    Stem Race Face Turbine 131,0
    Handlebar Race Face Turbine 251,0
    Post Thomson 193,0
    Post Clamp Salsa Fliplock 44,0
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR 135,0
    QRs Salsa Fliplock 104,0
    Front Wheel 1543,0 (with tire, tubes and all the jazz)
    Rear Wheel 1875,0 (with tire, tubes and cassette)
    BB Hope 115,0
    Crankset Race Face Deus XC 719,0 (with rings)
    Pedals Crank Brothers 2 T 240,0
    Chain SRAM PC99 268,0
    Shifters SRAM X.O. Trigger 225,0
    RD SRAM X.O. 205,0
    FD Shimano FD-M961 150,0
    Cables 50,0
    Brake F+R Shimano M-975 756,0 (brakes, hose, discs, mounting hardware)

Makes 11959,0 all in all...

Goal was below 12kg (26,5lbs) - close, but close enough. Grips are not included and I might have forgotten the one or the other item - theoretically the frame should get lighter with the wetpaint and standard bearing - we'll see...

Well, and to make it not too boring some pics of the different builds my salty had to go through:

primeval salty:

big trailbike salty:

last build salty:
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

mtbr member
    Well, things changed faster than I wanted...

Wen I got the frame I figured a crack. Dang. That's it for the refurbishing right now. Mail to Sherwood is on the way. Let's see what he's offering...

XC legs,
    DH balls...

Team Chilidog!
    Dooood, let us know what he says. How old is your Salt?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women