Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Proud lame eBiker

RASE Black Mamba

So, anyone seem one of these dropper posts in person? I saw one from a distance being shown off on a bike a few months ago, but didn't get a chance to go check it out up close.

The reason why I'm interested in it as it may be suitable for my Bruja which I feel really needs a setback seatpost to maek it a bit more friendly climbing. And there are no current 27.2mm dropper seatposts in existance...yet.

So anyone have some time on one of these posts? 9" of 20 incremental slots of adjustment. Rider can pick multiple settings for his liking and it'll pop into those slots.

Curious...
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    So, anyone seem one of these dropper posts in person? I saw one from a distance being shown off on a bike a few months ago, but didn't get a chance to go check it out up close.

The reason why I'm interested in it as it may be suitable for my Bruja which I feel really needs a setback seatpost to maek it a bit more friendly climbing. And there are no current 27.2mm dropper seatposts in existance...yet.

So anyone have some time on one of these posts? 9" of 20 incremental slots of adjustment. Rider can pick multiple settings for his liking and it'll pop into those slots.

Curious...
    Fo had a 30.9 Raze post on his Sultan. He doesn't have it anymore. And I don't think it was his usual OCD that made him get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think he uses a Specalized Command post now. I think the tilt mechanisms of those slip sometimes. He got rid of the RASE but I'm not sure why- maybe the name Black Mamba reminded him of prison love too much.

Proud lame eBiker
    Calling Fo, calling Fo...to the ghey courtesy phone please, Mr. Fo please pick up?!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Fearless Descender
    I road w/ Fo while he was running the Mamba, I know that the side-to-side slop was bugging him. He's running a Command post now, at the moment anyway. Now, if he'd only get out and actually ride instead of just sitting on his bikes in the garage!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Calling Fo, calling Fo...to the ghey courtesy phone please, Mr. Fo please pick up?!
    i did have the RASE and hated it after 1 or 2 rides. The approach is clever, as its simple (ie, no hydraulic) but the slop was horrendous...it rattled a TON on the downhills and drove me nuts. The short time i owned it you could already see considerable (for the time i owned it anyway) "metal on metal" effect where it rubbed. My bike did not have a slack seat angle so that is not the reason. The action (up and down) was very sensitive to the tightness of the seatpost clamp which i am not sure is a problem, but if too tight the post did not raise and lower smoothly at all...seems a "sign" of not so good things anyway.

The command post is SO MUCH better its ridiculous. Now if others say the rattle/play on their RASE post is not an issue then that alone is an issue as it has to imply their qc/tolerances are crap cuz i assure you, mine was horrible.

Proud lame eBiker
    darn it....guess the quest remains for a 27.2 seatpost with set-back....

darn it....guess the quest remains for a 27.2 seatpost with set-back....
    well, its just ONE opinion. i have seen others who do like their RASE (e.g., Dusty Bottoms) so who knows

Nowt to do with NKOTB!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    well, its just ONE opinion. i have seen others who do like their RASE (e.g., Dusty Bottoms) so who knows
    Thank you for your input. I wanted a command post but with a 30 mm post, wanting a remote and wanting set back, the RAISE is one of, if not the only option(s) I have. Hope I have not spent a lot of money on something that wont work...

If anyone is intereseted RAISE are doing free shipping untill 18th Jan, which is a good deal for us in the UK.

LINK

Proud lame eBiker
    I wish KS suspension would get their 27.2mm setback dropper post done already.

they told me, at Interbike, they'd have it done by April...Sea Otter time. Waiting waiting waiting.....still holding onto my Bruja in case.

Nowt to do with NKOTB!
    LINK March 2010... We'll have to wait and see if it actually happens. I'm loving the new remote leaver on these though.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dawg
    LINK March 2010... We'll have to wait and see if it actually happens. I'm loving the new remote leaver on these though.
    That looks very promising!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    yes, i wonder if PUSH can work on that piggyback and custom tune it

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I have to take it back. They lost the setback! Doh!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Proud lame eBiker
    I have to take it back. They lost the setback! Doh!
    Ok, so they're not going to do a setback now. Why would anyone buy one of these now? I'd rather stick to a proven design, Gravity Dropper, instead of trying out this unproven and unneeded post. Grrrrrr...guess the wait is over. Time to sell my Bruja, except with the blowout sale happening, my bruja ain't worth much. Oh how I long for my gen. 1 Bruja....

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Oh how I long for my gen. 1 Bruja....

No doubt ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

old v. new

Oh how I long for my gen. 1 Bruja....

so what is it about the gen.1 Bruja that you prefer over the new?
    breezy shade

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    so what is it about the gen.1 Bruja that you prefer over the new?
    What I loved about my Gen 1 is that is was basically a long legged beefy as he!! rig that I could do 4-6hour Tahoe rides on without a fear of breaking anything. I never used it, or intended to, us it as a freeride bike. Heck, was freeride even a word in `99?

At any rate, I developed a crack in the bb shell, again, and traded it in for a new bruja. Figured I had an El Salt for my XC ride now, and a Cuervo for the dh work, why not grab the Bruja. In hindsight I should have gone with a Terremotto. My fault for thinking I would use it more. I ran the Bruja in limited places because for me, 6'2" 245lbs and riding a large, I really really really need a setback seatpost. But the whole idea of the Bruja is to be able to drop the seat and shred the downs. And no one makes a dropper post with setback. Why is that THAT hard to produce?? What I've found in the past two years is that it's just too much right in the middle. It's too much for Downieville but not enough to shred the runs at Northstar and not ANY fun (for me!) to pedal up hill.
    I made a VERY smart move last year and picked up an El Chucho. Immediately retired the El Salt and Bruja in one fell swoop. The El Chucho is THE replacement for the Gen. 1 Bruja. I absolutely love this bike. If I were to get a large sum of money from the lottery I would get a El Chucho with a Terremoto downtube to help it even more mimic the Gen. 1 Bruja.

Anyway, that's enough morning verbal diarrhea for today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What I loved about my Gen 1 is that is was basically a long legged beefy as he!! rig that I could do 4-6hour Tahoe rides on without a fear of breaking anything. I never used it, or intended to, us it as a freeride bike. Heck, was freeride even a word in `99?

At any rate, I developed a crack in the bb shell, again, and traded it in for a new bruja. Figured I had an El Salt for my XC ride now, and a Cuervo for the dh work, why not grab the Bruja. In hindsight I should have gone with a Terremotto. My fault for thinking I would use it more. I ran the Bruja in limited places because for me, 6'2" 245lbs and riding a large, I really really really need a setback seatpost. But the whole idea of the Bruja is to be able to drop the seat and shred the downs. And no one makes a dropper post with setback. Why is that THAT hard to produce?? What I've found in the past two years is that it's just too much right in the middle. It's too much for Downieville but not enough to shred the runs at Northstar and not ANY fun (for me!) to pedal up hill.
    I made a VERY smart move last year and picked up an El Chucho. Immediately retired the El Salt and Bruja in one fell swoop. The El Chucho is THE replacement for the Gen. 1 Bruja. I absolutely love this bike. If I were to get a large sum of money from the lottery I would get a El Chucho with a Terremoto downtube to help it even more mimic the Gen. 1 Bruja.

Anyway, that's enough morning verbal diarrhea for today.

that's the reason i'm still riding my gen.1, i don't want to take the chance on trading it in on something i might like better, only to regret it big time. my only complaint now after 3 years is the 14.25 BB being a bit high to ride w/ the seatpost @ max. leg extention heighth. so i lower it about a 1/2" to get a better "in the bike" feel which is just too hard on my knees. a G post solves that for the most part, but i'm considering the idea of a shorter shock to lower the BB. i don't think the shorter travel & slacker HT would bother me for what i ride 90% of the time,& then i'd just put the original shock back on.

but, having said all that, i could see the el Chucho being the ticket...but not by trading in the La Bruja
    breezy shade

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge

but, having said all that, i could see the el Chucho being the ticket...but not by trading in the La Bruja
    I would not be afraid to jump on a Chucho if the option presents itself. It's a killer ride. Even with big tires the BB is 13.85" high. Wheelbase, on the 21", is at 44". Fun and fast up and down.

Team Chilidog!
    Hmm.. Am I the only person who likes the Gen 2 Bruja? I use mine as a lift park/DH bike (it's built up pretty heavy too), and I don't think I need a full-on DH sled. I wasn't even aware of Ventana's existence back when the Gen 1s came out.

That said, I'm running El Tigre III now, which is built around a Fox 36 and 5.5" rockers. That's probably more than enough bike for everything I do, but it's nice to have a bike to be able to beat to hell on DH runs.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Hmm.. Am I the only person who likes the Gen 2 Bruja? I use mine as a lift park/DH bike (it's built up pretty heavy too), and I don't think I need a full-on DH sled. I wasn't even aware of Ventana's existence back when the Gen 1s came out.

That said, I'm running El Tigre III now, which is built around a Fox 36 and 5.5" rockers. That's probably more than enough bike for everything I do, but it's nice to have a bike to be able to beat to hell on DH runs.

it's not that the Bruja doesn't do it's job right. It's job title is freeride/light downhill. And it works well in that realm.
    But, I for one, don't 'freeride(huge air, ladders, etc).....and already have a Cuervo for the downhill shuttles.

I'm not bashing the bike in any way. It's myself I am bashing for not doing do-diligence on researching the Gen. 2 before trading in the Gen. 1 frame as if I did, I would have grabbed the Terremoto at the time. Although I feel I am much happier on the Chucho that I would have been on the terremotto for the riding I do.

If I could get my hands on a 27.2 dropper seatpost with setback of around 25-30mm I could probably push the Bruja around on some hefty climbs. But alas, that beast if a Unicorn at this point. Strictly fairy tale stuff.

Nowt to do with NKOTB!
    I know there are those who don't like the RASE but after riding with mine I can offer this to those considering it as an option...

I needed to lube mine with a heavier oil than the chain oil as suggested. I ended up using engine oil which worked a treat.

The metal to metal wear does not bother me personally.

Its a simple design which I like very much.

I love the many options for adjustment. I got used to it very quickly and those who have an adjustable seatpost will know just how good it is not to have to stop. I ride mostly XC with a very varied selection of route so its a joy not to have to stop and adjust the seat.

I admit there is a lot of rotational play but weirdly I didn't notice it nor did it bother me. I have set my max height stop, two notches from full height.

The fuss about the rapid spring return rate and IMHO is a load of balls. Yes, if you had it set at the bottom and then let it return to full height cracking you in the nads at full height it'd hurt but we are competent folk and we know how to look after "the lads".

In all honesty, I might shorten the spring. Raising the seat from fully compressed to full height is not a problem but when raising the seat from a couple of inches below full height to full height, it is a bit sluggish. I'll be in touch with Laurie Kench at RASE about this, his customer support has been impeccable.

It is very, very expensive. $300 plus 45 customs charge when it got to the UK hurt. I'd have had the specialized one as they are a magical piece of engineering but sadly don't do 30.0mm.

Just my thoughts for the OP, hope this helps others make a choice when they are thinking about getting an adjustable seat post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ( And there are no current 27.2mm dropper seatposts in existance...yet.)

I am using the AMP seatpost, and it comes in 27.2, thats the size I use. I absolutely love it
    There is a small bit of play but its not at all noticeable when you are sitting on the seat.

mtbr member
    well, i dropped my order on the dropper and pulled the trigger when rase had its free delivery promo... and that was the best i could do! in the beginning, the play felt really weird, but once your on the bike, you don't feel it anymore!

the first couple of rides, the post was kinda stuck and didn't extend fully. I sprayed some mos2 in the bushing and now it's working flawlessly! love it!

XC legs,
    DH balls...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast