mtbr member
    Jul 2010

random geo question

anyone know what the headangle for a 09 ciclon is with a 150mm revelation? with regular kenda 2.3 tires or the like?

from what i can guess it is around 67.5? considering that ventana shows it being 68.3 with a a2c of 511 and the 150mm rev is 528mm as far as i can tell? using the .5 degree change per 10mm of a2c.

thanks...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I quickly sketched an AutoCAD drawing, and came up with 67.4, and then realized I used the shortest wheelbase (for a 15" frame) So it's going to be less of an effect as the frame (and wheelbase) get bigger (But we're talk .05 degree changes between 15" and 21"). BTW, unless you run DIFFERENT size tires, the tire size doesn't effect the ANGLES, but does effect the BB Height #'s.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    nice. thanks for that. about what i thought, maybe just a hair steeper, but under 68. i ride a large and usually a 2.3 up front and a 2.1 or 2.2 out back. ofcourse, tires depends on manufacturer, rim, etc.

any info on the +7mm crown race that sherwood sells? is that +7 over a standard crown race or just 7mm up from the base of the steerer. i imagine a standard is a mm or 2?

and how much that effects geometry?

thx again.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Man, now you want more? Geez!!

First Tires: Different Manufacturers of course measure differently and a 2.2 and 2.3 tire from say Maxxis and Kenda may in fact be the same size, but say you run 2.35 Nevs and 2.1 Nevs, that definatley is a difference (I have that setup on my hardtail) and will in fact help slacken the head angle a touch, but 5mm ~ .25 degrees.

Crown Race, the +7 adds 7mm on top of the standard crown race. 7mm ~.26 degrees.

Are you trying to get to a magic #? Say 67 even? Cuz you could just run a tad more sag in the rear (If not already, run a full 30% sag), while the Static(unweighted) #'s won't read 67, your effective #'s will. I do this on my V1 Bruja which has morphed it into an awesome Mammoth Shredder!
    -Aaron G.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I had a 150 Rev on my Ciclon and it steered like a pig and the front end was too high. So on step climbs it was a really bummer. I ran it at 135mm which was close to the A2C the frame was designed around. I currently run a Fox 140 Talas on it which has a 510mm A2C perfect for the Ciclon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Man, now you want more? Geez!!

First Tires: Different Manufacturers of course measure differently and a 2.2 and 2.3 tire from say Maxxis and Kenda may in fact be the same size, but say you run 2.35 Nevs and 2.1 Nevs, that definatley is a difference (I have that setup on my hardtail) and will in fact help slacken the head angle a touch, but 5mm ~ .25 degrees.

Crown Race, the +7 adds 7mm on top of the standard crown race. 7mm ~.26 degrees.

Are you trying to get to a magic #? Say 67 even? Cuz you could just run a tad more sag in the rear (If not already, run a full 30% sag), while the Static(unweighted) #'s won't read 67, your effective #'s will. I do this on my V1 Bruja which has morphed it into an awesome Mammoth Shredder!
    thanks! that is the info i was looking for.... not trying to get to a magic number or anything just curious what some options might do to the geometry. very glad there are people hanging out in here that actually have the answers. im guess im not too interested in someones opinion on how it will ride because that is subjective. anyhow, appreciate the info!!

fwiw, i have ridden a 5.5 ciclon with a 160mm fork and it was fine for me, just didnt like the extra weight in the front end. the 150 (32mm) forks are lighter and imo would keep the bike feeling more maneuverable in the techy climbs, etc.

im looking at potentially getting a new rig, wanting something in that 67+ range and dont mind if the bb is near 14 (lots of rocky/techy)

thanks again and im sure somebody in here must have some spy shots or something???!!!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer
    im looking at potentially getting a new rig, wanting something in that 67+ range and dont mind if the bb is near 14 (lots of rocky/techy)

thanks again and im sure somebody in here must have some spy shots or something???!!!
    You might consider waiting a month or so to see what the final numbers for the new stuff end up at, and/or if you want 67.0 maybe go semi-custom for a small upcharge (relative to frame cost) to get exactly what you want with the specific fork you want.
    -Aaron G.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    You might consider waiting a month or so to see what the final numbers for the new stuff end up at, and/or if you want 67.0 maybe go semi-custom for a small upcharge (relative to frame cost) to get exactly what you want with the specific fork you want.
    That's the beauty of Ventana. The upcharge is totally worth it to get exactly what you want. Ole