mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Question about rear shocks - X-5 vs Ciclon

Hello,

I have a 2004 X-5 that I am kicking around the idea of upgrading.

I might have a good deal on a barely used 2009 El Ciclon.

I have a spare RP23 shock for my X-5 and my question is, will the shock from the X-5 work on the Ciclon with 5" rockers?

Mostly curious because if I do end up selling the X-5, I may keep the spare shock if it gives me some options on the Ciclon. Otherwise, I will just sell the extra shock with the X-5 frame.

Thanks.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Ciclons that have 5 inch rockers use a 2 inch stroke shock and Ciclons with 5.5 inch rockers use a 2.25 inch stroke shock.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Ciclons that have 5 inch rockers use a 2 inch stroke shock and Ciclons with 5.5 inch rockers use a 2.25 inch stroke shock.

Well, what about older Ciclons that were 5"?

Is that the era of Ciclon the OP is looking at? do you know, OP, what the travel of the Ccilon you're looking at is?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Well, what about older Ciclons that were 5"?

Is that the era of Ciclon the OP is looking at? do you know, OP, what the travel of the Ccilon you're looking at is?
    I know for sure 2007 Ciclons were five inch travel......maybe 2008 was the transition year for 5.5 inch rockers. But unless he can post a picture and know for sure it's a 2009 then it's a typical vague mtbr post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I know for sure 2007 Ciclons were five inch travel......maybe 2008 was the transition year for 5.5 inch rockers. But unless he can post a picture and know for sure it's a 2009 then it's a typical vague mtbr post
    I worded my post a bit badly. It is a 5.5". I don't have any pictures, but I know the guy that bought it new and it is a 2009. The question should have been more along the lines of "would the shock from a 2004 X-5 work on a 2009 Ciclon if a guy were to put 5" rockers on it". There is no real reason for this, other than just thinking about if my spare RP23 was worth hanging onto for any reason. If the extra shock would not work for anything on a Ciclon I will just sell it with the X-5 frame.

You have me curious now though about identifying the differences by looking at pictures. What would a guy look for to tell a 5" Ciclon from a 5.5" Ciclon?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne
    I worded my post a bit badly. It is a 5.5". I don't have any pictures, but I know the guy that bought it new and it is a 2009. The question should have been more along the lines of "would the shock from a 2004 X-5 work on a 2009 Ciclon if a guy were to put 5" rockers on it". There is no real reason for this, other than just thinking about if my spare RP23 was worth hanging onto for any reason. If the extra shock would not work for anything on a Ciclon I will just sell it with the X-5 frame.

You have me curious now though about identifying the differences by looking at pictures. What would a guy look for to tell a 5" Ciclon from a 5.5" Ciclon?
    The 5.5 Rockers are actually shorter in length than the 5" rockers. And on the inside, along the horizontal bar on top have 5.51 Machined into it.

Yes the 04 Shock will work IF you use 5" (130mm) rockers. 04 Shock will not work with the 5.5 rockers.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    The 5.5 Rockers are actually shorter in length than the 5" rockers. And on the inside, along the horizontal bar on top have 5.51 Machined into it.

Yes the 04 Shock will work IF you use 5" (130mm) rockers. 04 Shock will not work with the 5.5 rockers.

-A

Thanks Aaron.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Trade ya

If you need 5 in El ciclon rockers I would be happy to trade you mine for your 5.5's. Let me know if you are interested.