El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

A question about Fox Van R and spring rates

Sorry for the newb question...
    I'm 245, the shock on my El Ciclon is a Van R with 5" travel. The spring that came with the frame says 2.8 x 450.

I went to the spring rate calulator and punch in the numbers....

Am I reading correctly that the calculator is recommending around a 350 spring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm not sure if a 2.8 is correct. Do you know what rockers you have? The rockers have the number engraved on them. If they have 5-05 then the shock size is 7.875 eye-to-eye x 2 stroke. If they are 551-09 then you have a 7.875 eye-to-eye x 2.25 stroke shock.

I have 5.5" rockers and a dhx5 that is 400x2.45 for my ~160lb weight.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks!, The rocker are 5. So.........the marking on the spring has nothing to do with the shock stroke?

Im assuming that the stroke of the van r is about the same as the dhx? I recalculated and it now says i need about a 650 spring based on the 2.25. Does that sound about right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    you may either have the wrong size shock for the frame or just the wrong size spring. here is some info to check:

Shock Details - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

if you have 5" rockers then it should be 2" stroke, so using the below spring calculator, you should have a 600lb spring

TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks again!