mtbr member

question about El Chamuco vs SC Bullit

Hello, just wonder whats your guy's opinion about the SC Bullit here on the Ventana forums, Im considering either frame to build up as a solid trail bike. I know the differences about travel an such, I guess is there a good reason to spend the extra doe for the Ventana? The one plus about the Bullit is its 7" of travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I have a Bullit now..

Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Hello, just wonder whats your guy's opinion about the SC Bullit here on the Ventana forums, Im considering either frame to build up as a solid trail bike. I know the differences about travel an such, I guess is there a good reason to spend the extra doe for the Ventana? The one plus about the Bullit is its 7" of travel.
    ,,,and it's awesome. I don't have my Ventana yet (still waiting) but I can tell you about the Bullit. First of all, I've been a tad displeased with SC service. I mean, thinking about it this is a custom bike-but they don't treat you like that. No real problems, but there was just something missing. It was amplified when I spoke with Sherman and the # of times that I have spoken with Theresa-Ventana is a first class organization. Ventana's craftsmanship is going to blow away SC. I haven't seen ANY frame with as much attention to detail as this (the main reason I am have ordered a La Bruja and an X5).

But the ride is what I am sure you are after. I love my Bullit. Not one single complaint. I have mine built fat-49lbs! But it climbs anything with a little extra love from me. So, IMO, unless you are really on a cash crunch-go with the Ventana. Do some research-I've heard mixed reviews on SC, but pretty much 99% great stuff on Ventana!

Good luck. PattD

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    I have to agree with Patt. Not that the Bullit is bad at all, but the only real reasons to buy that over the Chamuco would be price, if it fit you better than the Chamuco, or if you feel that you absolutely must have that additional inch of travel. The Chamuco is stiffer, has much nicer build quality, climbs better, brakes better, and customer service is better.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

banned

I agree with Larry (Ventanarama)

I own a Bullit and an X-5. I'm considering selling the Bullit frame and Super T fork to get a Chamuco frame or a set of 6" travel plates for the X-5, along with a Z150 or a Sherman Slider in 6" mode. I think it would do all the Bullit can do but better.

My X-5 has better lateral stiffness in the rear than the Bullit.

I'd say El Chamuco's the ticket.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

better braking/climbing due to lower pivot?

Is the better braking/climbing due to the lower pivot?

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    I have to agree with Patt. Not that the Bullit is bad at all, but the only real reasons to buy that over the Chamuco would be price, if it fit you better than the Chamuco, or if you feel that you absolutely must have that additional inch of travel. The Chamuco is stiffer, has much nicer build quality, climbs better, brakes better, and customer service is better.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Can you compare the two?

I know they are different beasts (x5 and bullit), but my 6" travel bullit feels plusher dropping off the curbs. Haven't ridden the X5 off road yet except for 1/2mi. Initial impression is still same. Maybe nothing I ride will be as plush as the bullit unless it has more travel...

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    I own a Bullit and an X-5. I'm considering selling the Bullit frame and Super T fork to get a Chamuco frame or a set of 6" travel plates for the X-5, along with a Z150 or a Sherman Slider in 6" mode. I think it would do all the Bullit can do but better.

My X-5 has better lateral stiffness in the rear than the Bullit.

I'd say El Chamuco's the ticket.