mtbr member

Powder Coat Touch-Up?

I have a red metallic el Ciclon that is absolutely beautiful. I've ridden it pretty hard this summer but have managed to keep the powder coat in relatively pristine condition. However, there are a couple spots where the finish has chipped or been rubbed raw.

I am wondering what the best way is to touch-up or protect these spots from further damage?

Enamel? Nail Polish? Automotive touch-up? Or maybe just leave it alone? I haven't been able to find much information about touching up a powder coat finish.

Also, if touching up is a good solution, has anyone found a good color match for the red metallic?

Happy T-Day.

MTB B'dos
    All I can say is I know another guy that doesn't baby his stuff and I couldn't believe how well his PC was holding up. Thought Ventana brought all finishing in-house for QC improvements.
    WOW Wouldn't have expected to read this from a Ventana owner, I thought there PC was super durable

Some pics if you wouldn't mind.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ventana's powdercoating is the best ive seen on any bike.
    No powdercoating will hold up against rocks or anything like that.

You may be able to take it to a hobby store or paint store that matches colors and get a little jar of somthing that will work. Before and after pics would be cool.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I would call Sherwood. I'm no paint expert but some chemicals react differently so you may end up messing it up even more. I would suggest you use some polyurethene protective tape for cable rub areas.....any motorcycle shop should have sheets of this cheaper then buying a bike specific kit. I got a 3 yard sample from my 3M rep.....

mtbr member

Minor Threat...

Don't get me wrong, the Ventana finish is the mutt's nutts. Super durable and absolutely beautiful. However, impact with rocks and other hard objects (other bikes) can lead to a scratch or two in even the most durable finish.

The spot I am trying to fill is very minor, but with a bike this nice I want to keep it looking tip top.

Welcome Turner Homers!

I think Aaaron did some touch up work.....

....using some nail polish from his...er...I mean his wife's makeup kit with good results. I'm sure Fo has some useful beauty tips he'd be willing to share with you as well.

Feel the gin

Quote Originally Posted by CLAW
    I have a red metallic el Ciclon that is absolutely beautiful. I've ridden it pretty hard this summer but have managed to keep the powder coat in relatively pristine condition. However, there are a couple spots where the finish has chipped or been rubbed raw.

I am wondering what the best way is to touch-up or protect these spots from further damage?

Enamel? Nail Polish? Automotive touch-up? Or maybe just leave it alone? I haven't been able to find much information about touching up a powder coat finish.

Also, if touching up is a good solution, has anyone found a good color match for the red metallic?

Happy T-Day.
    Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!